What's new

Looking for recommendation for small sub (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi gang,

I'd like to add a small sub to my downstairs system. I don't really care about huge bass, as my SVS PC+ takes care of that in the home theater room. This sub would be for the family room and will be mated with Swan Diva's 2.1's or some other similar speaker. I'd just like to give the sound some more bass and depth. Don't need bone crushing bass.

The only requirement is that the footprint has to be about 12" square, so it can go behind the TV stand (12" x 10" would be better). Does anyone know of a sub that might work? I've always heard good things about the Sony SAWM40, but I'm guessing that sub is going to be too big for the space I have.

Thanks!
Aaron

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Two candidates would be the Definitive Technology SuperCube 60 (9 1/2"W x 13 1/4"D x 12 1/2"H) and, of course, the Sunfire True Sub Junior (9" cube).

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Thanks. I have a feeling both of these are going to be more than I want to spend. I figured smaller means cheaper. I guess not. :)
I was trying to keep the cost around $100-$150 if possible.

Aaron

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Too bad, but smaller does not mean cheaper—it is very hard to make a good small sub, much easier to make a less expensive sub better by increasing the cabinet size (including port(s) and that kind of thing).

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Aaron,

Acoustic Research S108PS Powered Subwoofer. Enclosure Dimensions 12-1/2" H x 12-1/2" W x 12-1/2" D. I have one (and have had for about 16 months). It will do what you're asking for the price you want to pay... provided you can find one. It's a quite surprisingly solid little sub. If you don't push it too hard it adds just enough.

Try this:

http://www.dealtime.com/xKW-acoustic...032428/GS.html

I got mine from j&r and they have always been decent to deal with. I don't know that other listed dealer but the customer ratings look good.

Also available here:

http://www.accessories4less.com/item...108PS&cc=&tpc=

So is the AR PR808 SUBWOOFER DUAL 8INCH.Dimensions 10-1/4"W x 13-1/2"H x 13-1/2"D. I don't know anything about this one. Haven't had any problems with this dealer either.

Doug

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well if you are just looking for music a Polk audio sub is always a good cheap way to go. The PSW202 can be found for under $200 and is a great addition to music. It can add some good bass, but won't go below 35-40Hz or so.

I would give it a look and it should be exactly what you are looking for.

quyen_nguyen

Auditioning
Hey,
You should check out Velodyne SPL-8 series II. The size of the sub is less than 11"x11", but it can rock the room.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
Second the recommendation of the AR 108 sub. Nice little sub that will blend nicely and work well in a small room.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
How about the Dayton from PartExpress? $124.88 + Shipping - The only issue is the cabinet size -- might be a few inches too big for your application.

# 100 Watts of house shaking power
# Down firing 10" long throw woofer
# Perfect for small to medium home theater or music systems
# Unobtrusive "Black Ash" finish

Normally you would have to pay over $220 for a full-featured 10" Subwoofer with 100 Watts of power! Our #300-632 adds impact and realism to music and movie soundtracks with its tight thunderous bass. Perfect for small to medium size home theater or listening rooms. This powered sub features a down firing, front ported bass reflex design to produce deep clean bass. It utilizes a 10" long throw driver and a flared port to help reduce port noise. The 100W amplifier features gold plated high and low level inputs/outputs, phase reversal switch, volume control, auto on/off (activated by input signal), and a 12 dB electronic low pass filter that is continuously variable from 40 to 160 Hz. It also features a 6dB high pass filter (125 Hz, 8 ohm) output for satellite speakers. The MDF cabinet is finished in an unobtrusive "Black Ash" vinyl veneer that will blend in with any decor.

Frequency response: 25-160 Hz
Exterior dimensions: 12-5/8" W x 16-7/8" H x 15-5/8" D
Net weight: 40 lbs.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Is this the replacement that was talked about for the "tiny mighty" DLS10?
Frank, I'm not entirely sure - but, it's the only 10" assembled sub that I could find on their site. I'd love to hear one - at that price. Might be great for a bedroom system or for a second system with tight quarters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks