What's new

Looking for new receiver - Needs listed (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade my Sony STR-DH520.

I'm currently running 5.1 speakers.

I want to upgrade the a better quality sound. I've heard some Yamahas, and they sounded great, however I can't try them with my speakers.

My budget is around $400 USD.

The things I want to get out of the new receiver are:
1. Second Zone (Wireless speakers, if possible).
2. Bluetooth (Airplay?)
3. At least 4 HDMI inputs.
4. Headphone jack.
5. XM Radio tuner. (Although I can do this with my phone + blue tooth).

I'd like all the latest decoders as well.

I want to run a 2nd zone for blue tooth, so that if someone is watching TV, I can use the 2nd zone with my phone to stream music. If I can do this via network- might be even better because the blue tooth range isn't so good.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
1. That simply requires a Zone 2 pre-out.
2. Everybody but Onkyo(on the Airplay). Bluetooth may not be on any $400 AVR.
3. You have to buy a

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
What should I be looking to spend?

I guess XM - I can do without, because I can stream it from my phone. As long as I can stream stuff from my phone to zone 2, that should do it.

I'll be using wireless speakers at the 2nd zone.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Oh- I also don't just want the new features. I want to upgrade the unit to a better quality system. I got the receiver for really cheap - under $200, so I will be moving this to another area.

I don't want to just get an entry level system. I'm willing to spend more on a good unit. I'm running Polk Monitor series (Monitor 50/30/CS1/PSW505), nothing too powerful.

My room is 19x10.

Based on my current receiver, is there another brand that would produce a better sound? Something with room correction?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
erew99 said:
Based on my current receiver, is there another brand that would produce a better sound? Something with room correction?
I'll defer to Sam on the specifics of networking and such...

However I will say that you should not expect a newer receiver to have much of an impact on how your system sounds. It's not like you're going from lossy to lossless (THAT would have an impact) but your speakers are really what dictate how your system sounds. Provided you've taken the time to properly set up and calibrate the current system you should temper your expectations a bit.

AVRs are chosen based on features and connectivity. You audition speakers and choose the ones that sound best to you in order to determine how the system sounds.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dumb question...

If streamed audio content is all you want in "zone 2"...wherever that is...

Why not just buy a bluetooth rechargeable speaker?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
schan1269 said:
Dumb question...

If streamed audio content is all you want in "zone 2"...wherever that is...

Why not just buy a bluetooth rechargeable speaker?
Yeah, I could do that for streaming from my phone. I guess I'm just not sure what I would like. If the sound is going to be the same on my current receiver vs a non-entry level, then I guess there is no point in upgrading the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only way, given the efficiency of your current speakers, your AVR is inadequate in power is if you are trying to fill a 20x20 room with 105db of sound for 15 people.If just you and her in a room 12x15...power isn't the problem...if you aren't satisfied.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I see, so there is no need to upgrade based on sound quality. Maybe just a bluetooth speaker is what I need.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you find the sound lacking...Move your speakers. Not feet...inches. in and out from the wall, side to side. Toe them in.If you sub isn't providing the impact you expected, move it along the wall toward your couch.Are the rear speakers where the should be?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Unfortunately my rear speakers cannot be where they should be....

Rear speakers are actually directly to each side. Front left is about 2' from my center, same for the front right. They can't go out more because of other furniture (tables).

The room is rectangular, and we have it situated the wide way... There are windows on both 10' walls. The 19' wall is solid, so that is where our TV is mounted.

My brother inlaw has almost the same setup, but his sounds so much deeper. He has the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers paired with a Yamaha (entry level).

For movies, my setup sounds OK, but music not so much.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Would he let you borrow the Yamaha for a weekend...next time he's not going to be there? Maybe his AVR has YPAO. I've not played/listened to a Sony in 15 years. The only piece of Sony I even own is a TA N110.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I had a Sony BDP-S350. I binned it this morning. There are now 4 movies it wouldn't play dialog from. Soundtrack was there...no voices.It was my first BD player. It was a gift from Sony to all the (salaried) employees of the wholesaler I worked for when BD won the war.?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
His does. It is a RX-V573

Mine doesn't have any room correction or anything like that. Would that really affect the tone though?

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I have a BDP-590. I haven't had any issues yet, but I rarely use it. I usually play everything ripped to my HTPC.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Oh- I see. I thought it just set the speaker distance, levels, and that sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks