What's new

Looking for HU under $200 with best iPod connection (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to replace my current HU with one that I can connect my iPod. I have been looking at the Alpine 9881 and Pioneer 4900. They both sell for $180 at Best Buy.

I was wondering if anyone could share with me their experiences with either of these units as far as using it for the iPod, or any other units you might recommend at near this price point.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have an older model (the 9852) and am pleased with its integration with the iPod. Actually looking at current specs I'm tempted to upgrade to get the "full speed" feature to move through the song list by percentages. With my being limited to just turning the knob to move through songs, I've had to adjust what gets placed on my iPod, which ultimately isn't so bad because it means only my favorites make the cut. The other thing I would change is being able to have the clock always on. As it is I have to cycle through display modes to check the time if I have it on ID3 tag display. I can't tell if that's different on current models.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards an Alpine unit. I saw a 9883 at Best Buy for $200 that I am now considering.

In doing research I decided to go to a local dealer that sells nothing but car stereos. I was pleased to see they had an iPod connector for an Alpine unit, so I asked if I could hook up my iPod. When the guy starts to hook everything up he says I have to turn off all my playlists, artists, albums, etc. He says the only thing the iPod will do is turn it on and it will start going through my entire library, song-by-song. He says I can't play anything by artist, album, playlists, or search.

This was coming from someone who works at a dedicated store for car audio. What an idiot. I'm thinking of calling the manager of the store, but I don't want to get the guy fired.

So, its off to Best Buy now, where the blue shirts do know more.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestion about the 9883. I actually purchased the 9883 at Best Buy today for $145.

Update on 1/16/08. I got the Alpine 9883 install yesterday, and my iPod sounds great through the unit. It is very easy to navigate. I am able to search through my playlists even while I drive. Something I couldn't do when the iPod was connected to an FM converter. The music from the iPod sounds so much better as well. A head unit with an iPod connector is the only way to go for playing an iPod in a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks