What's new

Looking for Home theater recomendations (1 Viewer)

Looking for recommendations for components, speakers, projector, screen or just anything in general. Will be 5-6 months from now before I start purchasing.

Use for room.

Movies (3d and 2d)
Watching record TV shows
Games (but nothing special done for gaming really... primary purpose is movie)
Will not be used for listening to CD/Records/radio etc...

Room description
Room is 15'x18'
Screen will be on the 15' wall and entry is in middle of other 15' wall
Components will be placed on back wall
Prime seat will be room center roughly 10'-12' from screen haven't figured out exact location yet
No ceiling fan

For video

My plan is to have acoustically transparent screen and projector mounted on the ceiling.
As far as ratio/size I haven't really figured that out yet. I am guessing somewhere in 100-120" range and probably 16:9

7.1 surround sound setup.
Floor standing or wall mounted speakers placed behind the screen
F/C/R speakers will all be same type speaker (Not using a "center channel speaker")
Surround speakers all same type wall mounted at aprox 6' height

Components that will be connected
PS3 for video playback and media server
Cable box for TV
Possible other gaming system

I want to use a Separate amplifier from AVR to drive speakers.

My initial rough idea of budget (this number could go up or down but looking for the best bang for the buck while maintaining longevity of system) $20k I figure roughly 9k for speakers 3k for projector and screen 3k for components 5k for room treatments
If I can get a good set of speakers for 6k that I wont really be able to tell the difference between it and set for 9k I have no objection to saving that 3k. I want good quality speakers that wont fail and that do a good job but to be honest I don't have the best hearing so I am not going to be able to tell the difference between most high end speakers.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Right now I am thinking

Emotiva XPA3 for fronts $700
Emotiva XPA5 for surrounds $900
Emotiva UMC-200 AV/pre-amp $600

Projector Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010e $2500
Screen--- Seymour AT Fixed screen H105 $1400 side masking $400

Total so far = $6500

Speakers --- SO many choices...

any opinions on what I have so far? Any suggestions on speaker choice?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Do you have a set budget of what you have to live within? I'm seeing multiple tallies, but there are lots of ideas people could push your way, you really get your best benefit if you say: this is what I'm comfortable to spend, what is the best I can get at this price point?
Speakers are going to be something of a personal taste.. I tell most people find a way to listen if you can before you buy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only recommendation I have...

Why not use the 6504 in all 7 positions? (by the way, I'm not a fan of di/bi-pole to begin with)

Your rear install position is a bit high. Why 6 feet? All the tweeters should be on the same plane around the room. Now if you are doing a raised 2nd row of seating, sure...that changes it a bit.

There is nothing wrong with the UMC-200. It appears to do all you need...which isn't much...cause your PS3 will handle the majority of chores. You might look at the Outlaw, just in case it does something, or has something, you think you need.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

Otherwise...

If you aren't set on Klipsch, there are tons of others. If you live in an area with a good Ebay(you can search by distance from you) and Craigslist market. I would "waste" some money on buying some speakers to try in the room. You can always re-sell what you pick up. Doing so with a modest stereo receiver(which can be picked up at a pawn shop for $50-$100) and buying whatever is out there...just to listen, might set you back $1000. On older audio equipment you can typically re-sell it for what you paid. So $1000 spent, at worst, should be $500 back.

$500 expense to make sure you like your in-wall speaker purchase is nothing with a $20k budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks