What's new

Looking for cooter advice (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hey gang,
Tropical Storm Isaac washed a hatchling turtle up to our house (there's no way he could've gotten up the front steps by himself!), and we've adopted him (I *think* it's a him, anyway). . .I'm pretty sure it's a red-bellied cooter. I did some reading, talked to the folks at the local pet shop, and decided to keep him and take care of him properly -- got a tank, filter, UV light and heat light, etc. It's been a little over a month, and he seems to be doing OK.
One strange thing, though. . .he never comes out of the water of his own accord. There's a floating "dock" that he could climb onto, but he never does more than hang on the edge of it. (It has a ramp that goes into the water, so he *could* climb up if he wanted to.) I think he's just still shy due to being a baby (he's still under 2" upper shell length). He's getting a little less shy, only rushing down to hide from approaching humans about half the time instead of all the time, and he'll come right up and eat when we give him food. We try to take him out and let him run around outside on our screened-in patio for 30-60 minutes a day, since my understanding is that it's important for him to dry out and get some sun every day.
Just wondering if anyone knowledgeable about turtles has any advice. I realize that he'll eventually grow to over a foot in length and will need a huge tank or a backyard pond, so we're aware of the commitment. We were a little unsure at first, but he's really ingratiated himself. :)
You might imagine what happened when, without really considering the consequences, I typed "how to take care of a cooter" into Google. . . :jawdrop::confused::D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Maybe somebody with actual knowledge knows but when I come across a turtle or turles when I'm paddling, they usually go into the water as their "safe spot" and only when it's all clear they hang out on dead branches and rocks to sun themselves. So, the guy is just feeling more safe in the water than on your little dock.. Maybe give him/her a little more time or perhaps leave the heat lamp on but only observe from a distance to see if he comes out when nobody is around.
If you have a good idea of the type of turtle, you're probably better off googling that than "Cooter" :D
Jay

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cooter...well, let's just say my last party had a playlist that featured lots of Esthero and Vanessa Daou...ahem...moving on...
Caring for a turtle is only slightly more tough than caring for a gecko. As long as the water is fresh and they have food...and you check the heat lamp bulb, they are good to go.
Edit:
My GF sells for one of the companies that offers plastic stuff that isn't Tupperware...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here ya go:
cooter.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks