What's new

Looking for budget dpl projector (1 Viewer)

George V

Grip
This will be my first projector and I am on a tight budget. I want to stay around $1000 (+$200) and am leaning towards the BenQ 5120 over the Infocus 4805. Which way "should" I lean? :) Did a search, not too much info on the BenQ. Looked at AVS forum also...

I will only have a throw distance of 10 feet to the wall/screen.

Comments, any other projectors in this price range I should strongly consider? I was looking at Sanyo Z1, but a number of people said not to get that projector...

TIA,
George

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
Do you know if you are prone to rainbows? If so get the 4805, faster wheel, etc.

And since you're in Steel town would you rather buy from US company (Infocus-Oregon) or Taiwan company (BenQ).

No flames just seems like a question to ask someone in Pittsburgh.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I have had the Z1 for over two years. Absolutely no problems with it. It's not the latest and greatest, but with good light control and some tweaking, it throws a nice picture.

If infocus projectors are manufactured in the US, I will eat one. Not flaming, but with something like a projector, I don't company origin has anything to do with.

terence

Supporting Actor
I would say go for the 4805, but to be fair you should see them for yourself in action. Then make your desion based on which specs, features and performance will work best for you. After you do your homework i thnk it will be real easy to pick then, and with out any doubts.

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
If it helps the benq has the shorter throw. At 10 feet, the 4805 will only yield a 78" diagnol picture at the max. The benq will yield a bigger picture at that 10 feet, about 10" larger from my calculations but I might be off.

Also the benq is rated quieter, so for a small room, that might be desireable.

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
Both nominal and actual brightness seem to also slightly favor the BenQ over the 4805.

The 5120 uses a 5 segment wheel (one white segment) which increases overall brightness, but the slower wheel speed and fewer colored segments is a tradeoff versus the 6 segment/4x wheel on the 4805.

Projectorcentral.com has a good comparison review of these.

I looked at both of these and decided to spend less money overall for now since I'll probably upgrade later when/if I build a dedicated room. I got the Epson Home 10+ which is an older LCD-based model, but I traded lower cost and higher brighness against contrast ratio and better blacks.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
George, what size screen do you want? Did you check what screen sizes those 2 will give you at 10' throw? Someone already mentioned the 4805's screen size, but what about the Benq? Projectorcentral.com can help you out.

George V

Grip
Jim,
my calculations for a 10 foot throw distance (with the help of projector central) state:
Infocus 4805 - 65" diagonal
BenQ 5120 - 72" diagonal
It seems like both are good "bang for the buck" projectors. So I will probably get the BenQ 5120 ... the best price to date is $1099 delivered. Any other places to check before I buy?

Thanks for your comments...
George

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I am getting the 4805 at Costco for $999 January 31st. Seems like the best deal out there....plus it comes with a free 76" pulldown screen. I prefer the 4805 because of the six segment 4x wheel. I do not like the idea of the Benq's color wheel. It has a yellow segment which is what makes it brighter but it is slower. I figure a "real" HT projector should have the faster/more segment wheel to render the better colors. The Infocus bulb is rated for longer as well....and Infocus customer service seems to be better than Benq. To be honest I will never buy a Benq after they advertised their 6100 and 6200 to have a 3x wheel when it was only a 2x. I thought that was a pretty cheap shot to Infocus who at the time had the X1 but only had a 2x wheel. People chose the Benq because of the quicker wheel but passed on the Faroudja in the X1. Now a lot of owners regret that decision.
I am not trying to deter you from getting the Benq....I am sure it is a GREAT machine. I just think you should know as many facts about both PJ's before you drop $1000 +....good luck

richArm

Auditioning
i also got the 4805. i like it pretty well, but didn't have one to compare to. for $999. with screen it is a good deal.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I have a BenQ, but the 8220, not the one you are discussing. I am very happy with my BenQ and I have to say that BenQ has provided me with great customer service. Also, there has been a lot of confusion about their projectors, so much that many people think that a lot of their projectors are 2x when in fact they really are 3x.

I don't know what speed the 5120 is, but you should really consider BenQ. They have a great throw ratio, have a very nice bright picture, and are underappreciated because they are still unjustly viewed as a business projector company.

I know a fair number of people who use BenQ projectors in their HTs and everyone I have heard of is happy with it. They provide great bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.