What's new

Looking for advice - just bought an RPTV, should I go for the extended warranty? (1 Viewer)

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
There are some service menu changes you might like to make now. I'll post some notes here, but you'll want to grab the service manual. For a $4.95 paypal payment you can download the 20 megabyte kp46wt500 manual from:

http://hdtv-pro.com/servicem/mlist.html

You'll need that to understand what the notes below mean.

Disable Scan Velocity Modulation

This is the edge enhancement feature that can give a picture more "punch", but mostly what it does is render the picture quite inaccurately (lots of severe right angles in shadows etc). To turn it off:

Category 2150P-3:
Set UVML to 0

Minimize Red Push

This was enabled by default on my 46" Sony. Even after calibrating the color using the Avia DVD, reds were too hot. This fixed the problem:

Category 2150P-4:
Set AXIS value to 1

Softness Tweaks

As the Avia DVD states, and as counter-intuititve as it sounds, a correctly softened image will have less distortion. I implemented these softness tweaks, and have enjoyed the results:

Category 2150P-3:
Set SHF0 to 1
Set SHOF to 0
Set F1LV to 0
Set CDSP to 0
Set LTLV to 0
Set CTLV to 0

Category 2150P-4:
Set UDCL to 0
Set UBLK to 0
Set DCTR to 1
Set DPIC to 0

Notes on Above Tweaks

I derived the above tweaks from the WS500 Tweaks word document, that should eventually be back online at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sony_hdtv/

Converging your TV

The 20 megabyte PDF document service manual mentioned above does provide extremely good service menu convergence instructions. Many people recommend a professional calibration after a "break-in" period, and I see 100 hours used often. With that said, you can of course converge and tweak your own TV immediately. There is no harm in it, and you will enjoy a better picture while your TV is breaking in :)

Hope this helps,

Sean.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Pat

If you purchased the TV with a credit card, it may have an extended warranty already. I just go my Panny 53", and put it on my MasterCard. My MasterCard automatically doubles (up to 1 year) the manuf. warranty. I did get the extended warranty, only because the price was right (100 bucks for extended 3 years)....

Have fun with the TV...

Kimo B.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Pat: Don't go diving into the service menu just now. Save that for a pro. Meanwhile, yes, use a calibration disc (AVIA, Video Essentials). Even before the disc arrives, reduce the contrast to or below fifty percent. If the unit has an "auto-convergence" mode, use that for now. And good luck with that set; it's a good 'un. JB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks