1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a thx certified receiver.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChuckM, May 2, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a good thx certified 5.1 surround sound reciever for under $400. I found a kenwood vr6070 for $377 but it's 6.1 and I rather have a 5.1 receiver.

2. brentl

brentl Well-Known Member

The Kenwood is both a 5.1 and a 6.1 receiver, and is one of VERY few THX certified receivers in the price range.

Brent

3. CurtisC

CurtisC Well-Known Member

Why? thx has little to no meaning.I own thx ultra and non thx,non is better in many cases.

4. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't get too caught up in the whole THX certification. It limits your choices in that price range quite a bit.

5. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Well-Known Member

I whole-heartedly agree with Donnie and Curtis. I have some very strong opinions on this whole THX mumbo jumbo stuff. Save yourself some headaches and money and don't get too wrapped up with it. A lot of it is marketing hype and a money making plan. I'll leave it at that.

6. RobWil

RobWil Well-Known Member

Soooo...having heard that, I found a nice little Integra DTR-7 on ebay for $389 shipped. THX select, 105x5. It has DTS , DD, and DPL but none of that ES/EX/DPLII crap.
    Very, very nice little receiver for the money. I am extremely happy with it so far. Those babies sold for around $1100-$1200 new. In your price range used/display/demo is the way to go, IMO.

7. Heywood

Heywood Member

8. CurtisC

CurtisC Well-Known Member

If you ever want to sell a unit to upgrade,you will wish it had dplII,ES,EX.

9. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have a Yamaha RX-V995 that is well outside the $500 range when it was still on the market. Yamaha does not THX cert there recievers. And it is better than many of the reciever that are THX certified. I used to think that seeing that THX badge ment something. But after companies like Technics and other cheaply built companies had THX badges put on them. After that I started paying attention to the performance and features more than the THX emblem on the front. Some companies stoped putting THX badges on to save the cost of having THX badges on there products. It cost companies a certain amount for each unit produced with THX on it. I would demo the recievers in you budget range and by what you like and if it has a THX badge on it then it has one. But I would not worry if it has one or not.

10. RobWil

RobWil Well-Known Member