What's new

Looking For a Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a decent subwoofer and amp for my car. I have decent speakers and a good reciever already. I'm just looking for a bit more punch. I certainly don't need anything that will blow the doors off. I mostly listen to bluegrass. I think an 8 inch sub would be fine. Any suggestions on a good sub and amp? I'm looking to spend no more than $200. Is THIS a good deal?

Sai

Auditioning
That is a 12". If you said an 8" would be fine the MB Quart will be more than enough. Personally I dont like MB Quart subs but there components speakers are amazing.

That sub dont need that much power to run. It only needs about 350wRMS or so to push it.

If you dont mind buying a refurb amp get this JBL for $129.
since I cant add a link check out sounddomain.com and check under the JBL amp.

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't even look at the size of that sub. I just saw it in the Crutchfield catalog. Anyway, what about Rockford Fosgate subs? Something like THIS? I don't need a 300+ watt sub either. I have a 50w Polk in my home theater and it is plenty. What about THIS Polk? It has better frequency response.

Sai

Auditioning
the RF stage 1 sucks, if you gonna get a RF atleast get a stage2 or 3.

Id go with the ED with the linked aboved. ED make great subs, you also might want to check.

Jason Fulton

Agent
Adire Koda 8 is another excellent choice, get a profile amp to power it. My only recomendation would be to port it though. An eight in car really is not very loud sealed (Unless we're talkoing 12w7, then maybe). So port it around 30-37hz and you should be golden.

eddie-M

Agent
I agree with the Koda 8 or even Image Dynamics V3, but definitely go sealed. That will give you the best SQ possible. As for amps start off with a JBL, when your to step up to nice SQ amps, go for Tru Technology, Zapco or DLS. Tru makes class A amps as well.

Jason Fulton

Agent
^^ Although typically a sealed box will give you a flatter reponse than a ported sub it is a misconception. A properly designed ported box will yield nearly the exact same sound quality while allowing a theoretical 3db increase.

I would go sealed. To build a perfect ported box for a specific sub is too much work for what you are looking for. I also agree that image dynamics are a great value for the sound.

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
Good cheap sub? Parts Express' Quatro. I recommend the 12" in a sealed box. (No, the bigger sub will not turn you into a boomer. Trying to go with a 8" always seems to be underwhelming...)

BTW, PE also sells a suitable box made of 1 inch MDF. Thicker is better.

http://www.partsexpress.com/

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I would go with the JL Audio 10W0 sub. JL's are sweet. Very musical, clean and punchy. Put it in a sealed encloser and mach it with a Phoenix Gold Tantrum.2 amp. I think you will be very pleased with this setup.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I went with the 10"JL cabinet,cost about $100.00 ,works fine for my Honda. I didn't know if JL's were any good or not, but I think it's held up well.

OK... I'm going to introduce a small company by the name of RE audio. reaudio.com I would def. recommend either the RE or SE line. Either series would be adequete. As for prices I have sent you a PM. If you have any questions, please ask

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 infinity perfect 10.1's in a custom box that i can let go for 200 plus shipping. They are in perfect condition, no pun intended, these have the aluminum woofers so they are very accurate for your type of music. i listen to the same type of music myself. the box alone cost 150 dollars to have built to these speakers specs. so this is a pretty good deal. there is nothing wrong with them, i just go a new car and dont have a home for them.

If you have any questions about them, let me know.

Colin

I'm going to have to second the recommendation for Image Dynamics. An 8" ID-Q in a ported box will give you decent output and good tonality when tuned properly, and 150wrms should be plenty for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks