1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a reciever....any advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BradStoodley, Mar 5, 2003.

1. BradStoodley

BradStoodley Member

Hi y'all ,

I'm just beginning, and am on a budget. I just bought Fluance AV-HTB speaker set. Now I'm looking for a decent (but inexpensive sub) and a reciever. Suggestions?? I'm looking for something in the 300-400 dollars Canadian range (I can upgrade later when I have more money). Thanks!

2. Alf S

Alf S Premium
    Supporter

Alfie
    Welcome

For the money, I still stand by the Pioneer 811. Great receiver for the money. Should be available for under $400 online.

Good luck!

Alfer

3. Chris Clarno

Chris Clarno Active Member

Christian
    I'll second the 811. Solid entry level unit. The Kenwood VR-6050 and VR-6060 are similar in value for dollar. these can be found for $300-500

4. SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ Well-Known Member

I'll second the Kenwood 6050. Great receiver, tons of features. Confusing remote the only drawback I can see, but once you get used to it, it's fine [​IMG]

5. DavidQc

DavidQc Well-Known Member

I'm a home theater newbie.
    [​IMG]

So far, I'm loving the Pioneer VSX-D811S.
    Currently retails for $298 at Best Buy.

Through a friend, it came out to $150 for me.
    [​IMG]

Great receiver.
    [​IMG]

6. Cagri

Cagri Well-Known Member

I have just added a Sony SA-WM 40 to my setup based on the reviews and reccommendations from the forum. Wow! It is incredible value for money. I have a large room, and it shakes the glasses. I haven't done the modifications, will be much better after doing them I guess. It just doesn't look good for my liking, but hid it under a coffee table and all OK now.

7. Cagri

Cagri Well-Known Member

By the way, Brad, I will have to disagree on Kenwood VR6050. I own a VR5050 which has identical amplification with 6050. Although it is a good entry level receiver, it lacks power and if you have a largish room you may not find it adequate. I sold my 5050 today and will buy a Denon 1603 tomorrow. Don't know how 6060 is, but stay away from 6050.