What's new

Looking for a nice 70 incher (1 Viewer)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Steve, that sounds like what I am getting. Is this Silk Screen Effect fixable or adjustable or is this just one of those things that is par for the course with this type of television?
Just did a search for Mitsi and Silk Screen Effect and came up with this section as part of an 82" Mitsi review...
CONTRAST: For 2012 Mitsubishi went from the Clear Contrast on 2011 82"models, to a hybrid screen that's between a CC and matte screen offerings. Due to 2011 840 model complaints of the Clear Contrast being too reflective, Mitsubishi changed the screen. Giving up that contrast with the new screen hurts the picture quality which already lacks contrast/sharpness. Mitsubishi should of offered a choice to consumers, Clear Contrast is superior in removing some of the "Graininess" many complain about on picture quality, but you need a light controlled room to remove reflectivity from the Clear Contrast screen, those are the trade offs. This "Silk Screen" effect of a grainy picture is noticeable and would do anything to reduce it. I personally think this is a mistake switching out Clear Contrast screens for 2012 82" models. GRAININESS/Soft imagery,
He seems to be saying that the Clear Contrast screen is better than the one they have recently switched to. Looking up the details on my set, it is listed as having one of those Clear Contrast Screens. Which I'm guessing by his review was better at handling the "SS" effect. Anyway, his full review is here.
From what I have gathered so far, some folks see this effect, some don't, and some do but aren't bothered by it. I can't believe that with my bad eyes I'm one of the folks bothered by it!
I have yet to call Mitsi.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If it is SSE, that still doesn't explain the electrical noise(that isn't the fan). Granted SSE never bothered me(I also don't see "the rainbow" with regular DLP). If you still hear electrical noise...get a service call in. If it is SSE, you are stuck with it as a byproduct.
You could always try an anti-reflective add on screen. But before the "window to return" shuts...emails/calls need to be made.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I still plan on calling Mitsi regarding the hum, whether the SSE can be dealt with or not. I'm imagining these will be long and torturous phone calls. I'm off next week so I guess I will deal with it then!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Agree about the hum. Back in the heyday of chip based rptvs SSE was pretty much universal across all makes/models--you either got used to it or gave up and swapped for a more expensive Plasma flat panel (lcds topped out at 40-45" in those days.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sorry to hear, Ric. Hope your new LV DLP works out great after these issues -- looks/sounds like a great set otherwise...
Mike Frezon said:
You just couldn't stand the fact that I had upgraded to a 55" set, could you Ric?!?  :confused: Show off! :D Saw you across the LOB a couple of weeks ago...but couldn't get your attention.  It's like you were busy or something.  :laugh: I'll bet you have been enjoying the new set...much like I've ben enjoying mine.  I just wish I had even more time to watch it!
What?!?!?! Mike upgraded and joined us in the big display world?!?!?! Guess I must've been hiding out in the cave too long and missed the much heralded, celebratory announcements and HT-warming parties... ;) :laugh: _Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool
What?!?!?! Mike upgraded and joined us in the big display world?!?!?! Guess I must've been hiding out in the cave too long and missed the much heralded, celebratory announcements and HT-warming parties...
Huh. I was wondering what happened to you. And I was counting on you to bring the veggies and dip.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Unfortunately, been too busy elsewhere to do much more than drop by to quickly check my subscription feed each day. I'm also finding this new FB-app-like (tunnel vision) mobile site subtly encourages me to do little more than just that -- it's certainly more efficient for checking subscribed posts/threads, but not sure I like it all that much... _Man_

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I have not yet called Mitsi. I think I am becoming used to the set. The hum now rarely bothers me unless I have the sound on very low. (as a matter of fact, now it seems the fan noise is louder) and after some adjustments, the Silk Screen Effect often seems less pronounced. At first it was very jarring, coming from my older CRT projection set which did not have this SSE issue. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I had heard of it. Still, I'm wondering if there is a way to tone it down even more. Anyway, for the past few weeks I have really been enjoying this monster. At first the wife thought it may be too big, but its amazing how fast you get used to the new size. I think we have hit our limit for this room though! We watched Snow White and the Huntsman last night (fortunately Kristen Stewart did not completely ruin this flick) and my wife agreed that it looks great this big. She plans on having some of her friends over soon for a movie night! And my friends at work are already planning a Game of Thrones season premiere night!

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
So.... I got used to the screen door effect and the hum seemed to get lower (or I got used to that as well) And I have really been enjoying the set...

Until....

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Last Spring I started having an intermittent problem with the set not powering up. It would turn on, but no picture after the Mitsi Logo would disappear. I was told that holding in the power button to reset it might work... and it did, for a time. Now it has been getting much worse and the time it takes to get the picture back can sometimes take a whole day.[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Last May, I called the company that I got the extended warranty with. Consumer Priority Service. They have seemed shady from the start. At one point I got a call from Mitsi saying that my wife had called wanting a replacement for the set. It was not my wife... it was Consumer Priority Service trying to get something out of Mitsubishi. They (CPS) finally called back and said it was a misunderstanding and that they would send me info within a week about who would be coming to look at my set. They sent me the info. More than a week went by and I had not heard from the company, so I called them. They told me they do not work on projection sets. CPS then set me up with another guy who came to my house to check the TV. By this time it was July. Of course since it was an intermittent problem, the TV would not do its thing until after he left. Still, he said he would research it and would see what parts were available.[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]I did not hear back from him and figured I would call him back once the TV would not turn on for good. Over the past few months I have just been dealing with it. Today I got an email from CPS saying... "A refund of your warranty has been initiated and we need your help to continue. Please click the link below so that we may proceed to process your warranty refund."[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]Um, yeah... I don't want a refund of my 330.00 warranty, I want a TV that works, so I called them up. They said there was nothing they could do because the part is unavailable. I did not buy a warranty so that I could have it refunded. I called them, voiced my displeasure and basically they said they were not liable for the TV seeing that Mitsi stopped making them. Nowhere on their extended warranty pamphlet do I see anything other than if they cannot fix my TV it will be replaced with a similar unit. Which to me, means another 75" TV.[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]They advised me to call Mitsubishi, but not to tell them that I have an extended warranty and see if I could work out something. This seemed real shady to me, but I called them anyway. One of the first things they asked was whether I had an extended warranty. I told them that I did. They tried to contact the warranty company and were unable to get a hold of anyone. In the meantime Mitsi wants me to send them an estimate of the repair (which I do not have but will try to get from the guy that was at my house), and a copy of the warranty. [/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]I cannot yet see the light at the end of this tunnel. [/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);background-color:rgb(230,237,245);]My only advice for anyone else is beware Consumer Priority Service.[/color]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gotta tell ya Ric...that is one of the worst stories I've ever heard.

Dem guys sound like crooks--plain and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks