What's new

Looking for a new TV. Old one has about had it now. 47-55" (1 Viewer)

CBennett

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bennett
Ok guys give me some options. My old BIG CRT Toshiba 47"(about 8 years old) is going wonky..lines and fuzz till it takes about 5 minutes to "warm up" then its ok..but its been like that for about 4-5 months now. Im looking to get it at Best buy(only local place of its type) as they do the one thing I dont think anyone else does. They will take away the current MONSTROSITY when they deliver the new one..other than that its just too hard to schedule exact drop off and pickup times to get rid of the old TV and have the new one. We have a small living room and modest HT system im still stuck on the old 5.1 standard for HT as I dont have room for any more speakers than that(nor do I see the real need). I DO need a new Receiver also but thats another thread I guess. the Speakers are Mirage Omni 60's with a Atlantic Technology Subwoofer. Back to the TV. It sits on a wall that I have measured the wall is 53 inches wide so the TV and stand would have to fit in that area our "normal" viewing area is slightly to the right of center and about 9-10 feet away from TV. We have Comcast HD cable as the viewing medium. Ive not yet upgraded to anything Blue Ray as I didnt see the need but im am in that process. im one of those people that really can NOT see a difference between a "regular" DvD and a Blue ray so I never jumped immediately on board. I CAN tell the difference in say a normal broadcast of a NFL or NHL game and a HD broadcast(i just dont see that translate over to regular DvD and Blue Ray) We watch "normal" TV mostly with a couple movies on the weekend and some NFL/NHL games mixed in. Most of the Movies I like/watch are action/sci-fi/military types. We think the "smart" technology is cool but not a deal breaker. I dont normally do much online watching as I dont like to pay for extra stuff(like say Hulu plus) Id like Smart but if its not and a lot better TV thats also ok. Ive not gone in and measured so im just assuming width wise a 55" TV would fit im my 53" space as my 47" TV only measures 43" across.. Im also assuming that by doing limited research I want a LED LCD type? Well let me know that you think I should be looking at. Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You only want an LED-lit LCD is you want an inferior picture. Buy a plasma. Great deals on the outgoing 2012s if you hurry. How much do you want to spend? since I could say..."Buy a VT50"

CBennett

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bennett
Id like to spend around a grand give or take on the TV so I have room(money wise) for a wall mount or decent stand for it. As I had said I was just looking for something decent as I cant even tell the difference between a regular DvD of 15 years ago and a Blue Ray of now...I just watched a old DVD of "Platoon" looked great to me and I have seen that on Blue ray and to me no difference...so I guess I cant tell..things like that or notice anything that "technical" so it does not need to be anything "top end" just something decent.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'd pick a 1080p LG or Panny plasma. With the current close out deals, you can probably score one, somewhere, for as little as $700.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'd pick a 1080p LG or Panny plasma. With the current close out deals, you can probably score one, somewhere, for as little as $700.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
One major retailer is blowing out Panasonic TC-P50ST50s for $799. Very highly rated 3D capable "Smart" plasma.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the ST is capable of a very stunning image. Ive seen the 65" version for $1999. At the same time I have seen the top of the line 65VT50 going for $2350 - $2450.

CBennett

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bennett
im trying to find one unfortunately its pretty hard at this time to find it under $950 as the place that has/HAD(more like it) at $799 is "sold out" now :( (story of my life) so best ive seen now is between $850-950 in the 50" model

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
try amazon.com cleveland plasma, and Pauls TV. (best buy should also price match ? )

CBennett

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bennett
Gregg Loewen said:
try amazon.com cleveland plasma, and Pauls TV. (best buy should also price match ? )
they do or would but they looked and they cant even order one in none in warehouse none in other stores, Sears clean out of them also. Best Buy had them at $949...well that was the sale price IF they could get them but no go..they said they should be back in stock soon..but then will they be at the SALE price lol...the closest they had that they could get was the Panasonic Magnolia one they had in 50" at $1,149.98 I didnt see any LG's that were also Smart TV and 3D like the panny though is this one really worth the extra $200 over the one you guys told me about? And yes with the one you guys recommended I looked at his screen and the entire PA area and warehouse listed them as Zero in stock...so i dont think he was trying to pull a "fast one" and just get me to buy something more expensive..he didnt have that in stock either but said they had 250 in the warehouse. Thoughts? Alternatives?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Amazon has "warehouse deals" on this one for $672. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50U50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VLRC/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362506997&sr=1-12&keywords=panasonic+p50 Warehouse deals for $847 on this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00752VKU0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

CBennett

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bennett
got it narrowed down to 2 I guess the Panasonic GT50 at $1,149 or the Samsung PN51 E7000 at $999.98 thoughts? one a LOT better than the other something im missing...im trying to stick with a place that does the delivery and REMOVAL as I have no way to get the giant old 47" CRT TV OUT of the house without someone taking it away..id have to rent a pickup truck and then go to the dump and pay the fee to get it disposed of other wise or id just get the ST50 online...im not from the area im currently in and dont really have anyone to borrow a truck from...just a logistics thing...cant wait to get rid of this giant old CRT TV lol.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Two issues with Samsung...one plasma related... 1. Samsung power supplies tend to detonate around the 18 month mark. When they "go", they take the entire TV with them. Ongoing problem for over 12 years. It affects roughly 10-15% of the TV produced. 5% is "considered" unreliable, that makes Samsung TV 2-3 times more likely to fail...yet still means...85% of them are fine after 18-24 months. Long story short...buy a 2yr extended...(if you google "replacing Samsung power supply capacitor" you'll see tons of forums discussing how you can DIY a fix yourself for the cost of a soldering gun and replacement caps...which the type of caps are easily identifiable. DIY fix is typically under $25. Including the soldering gun. Or you can wait till yours shows "signs of impending power supply failure" and fix it then. Most shops will repair an "already removed" power supply for $50...then take it home and put it back in the TV) 2. Samsung plasma "buzz". I know two people with them, only if you are standing within 2 feet of the TV...with the room "silent" can I hear it. In one of my friends homes...the HVAC is louder than the TV is...even though the buzz is there.

CBennett

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Bennett
I went with the Panasonic gt50at $1149 is it worth getting the extended serivce plans on something this much $$ I think the 2 year was like $169 is it worth it ?? still trying to find my wifes electric fireplace/media stand though :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Extended warranties are, in my opinion, based on two things... 1. Does it have moving parts? 2. Can I survive another purchase if this one craps out right after the warranty expires... TV don't have moving parts. These aren't the "old days" of rear projection. If this were a DLP/LV, sure...cause they cover the lamp you'll need in year three anyway. Can you afford "another TV" if this one dies in month 13? Only you can answer that question. The true test of most CE is the first 6 months. 99% of the time...the device you buy is "screwed up straight out of the box"...or it is fine for years. Most manufacturers accept a 5% first year failure rate. For more consideration...do you live in an area prone to brownouts and blackouts? Extended warranty covers that(read the fine print to make sure) where the manufacturer tells you to call your insurance company. Lastly, lots of credit cards double warranty. One of my credit cards even covers rental cars. All that is required for them to cover a rental is me to have regular insurance...which you need to have to rent the car in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks