What's new

looking for a new digital camera (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know much about cameras, but my mom needs a new one and I'm doing some research for her. We are definitely going digital, she wants at least 5-6 megapixels, flash storage,under $1000, and something fairly lightweight. a decent zoom would be nice also. I've been interested in the canon digital eos rebel, is it any good?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What kind of experience does your Mom have already? What cameras has she used before on a regular basis? What kind of photos does she shoot most? It's hard to know what to recommend w/out more details, especially when you start bringing up a DSLR into the picture.

There are way too many options when your budget is $1K max. Also, if you go w/ a DSLR, you should know that a large part of the advantage of that is lens options, flash, etc. etc. and those things can easily push the final cost well over $1K. And I would not presume that somebody's Mom might not be so into photography as to get that far either. :D

So it all depends...

_Man_

BruceH

Auditioning
The DRebel is a decent digital SLR, and with the kit zoom lens it will come under your $1000 budget. Whether or not it is to be considered lightweight is relative, though.

A great online resource for digital cameras is DPReview, which should have reviews and user opinions on just about every current digicam out there. Check it out.

Bruce

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Oh, yeah, forgot about the "lightweight" part. It's all relative, but people do rarely consider a (D)SLR lightweight. :D

Something else to consider is AF speed. Since this will be her first(?) digital camera, she might find the AF on *all* non-SLR digicams to be too slow. She might also not like the lack of focus control in general (including depth-of-field control) if she is particularly experienced w/ photography. Depth-of-field control refers to being able to control what-and-how-much is in focus and not in focus. Ask her about it. And also have her go try out the cameras in person.

_Man_

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I would say she isnt to big into photography. She would mainly just use it for special occasions(christmas,birthday,ect.) and maybe some wildlife photography. It is her first digital camera. I believe as far as focus goes she usually just uses the auto focus setting. Lightweight would be considered under 2 Pounds. My aunt has one of the sont digital cameras that records to the cd's and my mom feels it is to big and bulky. so something smaller and lighter.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sounds like the D-Rebel would be too much for her then.

Maybe check out one of the various superzoom digicams from Minolta, Canon, Sony, et al. Maybe even the Panasonic FZ20 that's getting a fair bit of interest over here -- check some threads w/in last 30 days. The Panny FZ20 might fit the bill best based on what you're saying. It's 5MP, has 12x optical zoom that's desirable for shooting wildlife, has image stabilization (which is a big plus on long zooms as well as shooting indoors w/out flash), sounds like it's pretty responsive and fast (for a non-SLR cam anyway), etc. etc. Sounds like 5MP should probably be good enough for her uses. And the FZ20 is only $500-600.

_Man_

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I would agree that the DRebel would be entirely too much for a first digital...especially when the major use is taking snapshots at family gettogethers and the like. It would be better suited for wildlife shots since you could get yourself a 400mm zoom as an add-on, but that lens alone would blow your budget to bits.

For someone's first venture into digital I'd also suggest not limiting yourself to such a high megapixel count. Not that there's a thing wrong with going for 5-6 MP, but there are a load of great cameras that you're eliminating from your search by making that decision right off the bat. I would suggest looking at 3 MP and up for now....that'll give you some great choices. And if you're not going to be printing images over 8x10 you don't need to sweat the lower resolution.

My first thought when I read your post was the Canon PowerShot S1 IS. Size and weight are great for throwing in a bag or even a pocket, has image stablizer which helps with the 10x zoom and the angled LCD is a great help...especially when it's your first camera.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Al (alweho)

Second Unit

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
I was also going to suggest the panasonics..they have a very good zoom and image stabilization is also very good from what I read..I was thinking about buying an fz20 as a pocket camera to complement my sony f717 (which is also a very good camera for the price http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/)

I have been more than happy with my f717 and you can get them at sears in the US for 499$ right now..

I highly recommend reading through reviews before you buy to see what is important to your mom and what is not important..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks