What's new

looking for a multi disc DVD player (1 Viewer)

Mike Foley

Grip
I'd prefer to spend under $100, but my limit is $150. Here is what I need it to have:
component out
fiber optic out
progressive scan

things I would like, but not required
DVD+R/RW compatibility
SACD ability
and since all my other components are black, it would look nice if this was too.

any recommendations?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A quick search came up with two possibles. The Sony 875, 5-disc SACD and all your other requirements for around $150. The other is the Toshiba 6915 which adds DVD-A but isn't totally black (it has a silver frame) but the front is black plastic. It also comes with questionable reliability. I bought one when it first came out last June and while the picture and sound were stunning for such an in-expensive player, I had to return it for mechanical problems. But you can find them on the net for under $100. Don't know anything about the Sony but it should perform well. There is also the Yamaha 6760, but it busts the budget by at least $50. I'd go for the Sony.

Mike Foley

Grip
What exactly is DVD-A? I know it means DVD-Audio, but how is it different from a normal DVD with digital encoding?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
DVD-A offers a higher resolution, up to 24 bit/192khz, meaning better quality sound. By being a mostly audio format, there is a lot of room left over for higher resolution sound. The video part of a movie eats up most of the space on a dvd disc. But most DVD-A's also contain a little video material like a few music videos, lyrics, and interviews. It competes with SACD for the audiophile dollar but may be phased out in favor of the new and questionable "dualdisc" which is a cd on one side and a dvd-a (or just a video) on the other. Do a quick search for more info on SACD/DVD-A/DualDisc. Lots of stuff, and debate, on these formats around here.

Mike Foley

Grip
Turns out I have 2 DVD-A discs (Blue Man Group) and 1 SACD (Pink Floyd). I've been reading up on it and I really can't decide which format I want, so I think I'll get a DVD-A and SACD player. The Yamaha 6760 looks really nice, and I've always had good experiences with Yamaha products. Guess I'll step up my budget.

thanks!

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
the 6760 doesn't support dvd-a. the player you want is the dvd-c750 (also known as the dvc-6770) which supports both hi-rez formats. i've had mine a week and love it. do a search on this forum to read about its pluses and quirks.

Mike Foley

Grip
Did you get a replacement Toshiba - have you had any other problems with it? Are there any other multi-disc changers that have DVD-A and SACD for under $200?

Does it look like one format is becoming more popular than the other?

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
The Yamaha DVDC750 is a bit above that (I've heard it can be had for around $250 USD; I paid $350 Canadian for mine). It meets every one of your requirements right down to being all black in colour.

Mike Foley

Grip
^ I looked up the specs for that on Yamaha's website. It looks nice, but $200 is pushing my limit as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks