What's new

Looking for a Good HDMI Cable for the Panasonic DMP-BD55 (1 Viewer)

Don

Second Unit
does anyone here have any suggestions. or know of a properly wrapped HDMI Cable. that is reliable/decent i was looking at the Monster Cables at Circuit City Tonight but didnt want to pay $115.00 just for One Cable any Suggestions anyone ?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Joe,
My advice to you is to save your money and don't buy any HDMI cable that's more than $20. It's been my experience with four different Blu-ray players and another three HD DVD players that there is no performance difference between an overpriced Monster HDMI cable and getting a cable from Blue Jean Cables, Monoprice or any other similar etailer.

Just read this thread for some further explanation as to my advice.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...dtvs-here.html

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Monoprice.com or Bluejeanscable.com are going to be cheap and quality cables. BJC has a great little mini tutorial on cables in general.

The BJC top line is very highly thought of though most around here swear by the basic Monoprice for under 10 foot runs (the BJC Tartan line seems pretty similar in quality). If I was running long lines behind walls for a permanent install, I'd go with the Belden based BJC.

Not sure exactly what you mean by properly wrapped, but a lot of the hype surrounding the high dollar 120Hz rated cables from any manufacturer is probably BS. The biggest problem most people seem to have with HDMI cables is with bad connectors rather than the cable itself.

Don

Second Unit
i mean Wrapped right as in the Shielding. i guess if the HDMI cable is not properly wrapped or of poor Quality it can cause flicker and something else.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Don, I purchased a Mediabridge HDMI cable from Amazon.com that cost about 10 dollars. Both my plasma set and blue-ray player are Panasonic and the cable works perfectly.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Shielding/Wrapping is probably less important from HDMI than for other type cables in general. Any properly made cable under 10 feet is not likely to be a problem and almost all cable problems end up being traced to improperly terminated/damaged connectors. In reading lots of forums over the the last several years, when problems occur it is the source/recipient components which end up being the problem 99% of the time.

The best set of articles found in any single location on all things HDMI (and most other cable questions):

Blue Jeans Cable--Index of Informational Articles

I have no direct connection to BJC, but Kurt the Owner often participates in discussions on avsforums without ever directly shilling for his company. BJC is a sponsor for both HTF and AVS, has a great return policy, ships rapidly, and has a stellar rep pretty much everywhere I've been.

Monster threatened to sue his company for patent infringement and resulted in one of the finest responses to a harassment/blackmail frivolous lawsuits that I've ever read so BJC gets bonus points just for Standing Up to the Bully. The story has become near legendary in certain circles.

Monster cable correspondence

Don

Second Unit
what HDMI cable from Blue Jeans can be Reccommended. right now i have the RocketFish Cables from BB. i just got my new tv in a TH-46PZ800u and i have the BD-55 Blu Ray Player for it. CC had it in Stock and BB has had them BackOrdered for a While.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Personally any of the Blue Jeans cable would be fine. If you putting a permanent in-wall wire or greater than 10-15 feet, I guess I might go with the Series 1, under 15 feet the Belden F2 looks to be a great choice.

Honestly if you are doing less than 6 foot run, any cable including the Rocketfish would likely be fine depending on how expensive it was though I expect the Tartan level or Monoprice basic cables are at least equivalent quality (maybe even the same cable). Saw an old post that the employee cost on the Rocketfish 4foot cable when it was introduced was $5 while the customer price was over $60

Don

Second Unit
i was desperate for something i wanted to hook up my tv and blu ray player. Wal Mart was basically sold out looks like Evreyone got a Blu Ray player or Digital TV from Santa.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I understand (and so do the stores) -- are you still within the return window? If so, I'd probably order a decent cable and try them both -- return the one you don't like. BJC and Monoprice both ship quickly rapidly so you could have it by mid week.

Don

Second Unit
Dave Excellent Ideal I'm still trying to calibrate and set my tv up as well. i didn't know that i couldnt get the picture like they had in the store. i'll see about returning them.

DaleAV

Agent
Get virtually any reasonably priced cable that's rated for 1.3. And those rated for 1.3b or 1.3c are only selling points and have nothing to do with the actual quality of the cable.
Besides monoprice, BJC also sells a less expensive line under the Tartan name.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks