What's new

Looking for a flat panel TV under $2000, need advice (1 Viewer)

Jim_Smith_

Auditioning
I am shopping for flat panel TV's. Both plasma and LCD are options. I will be using the monitor for both television and computer. For television, I will be watching mainly DVD's and DirecTV. HDTV is something I may get later.

I am looking for a 42 inch, but will consider something smaller. I know I will be buying a low end unit, but picture quality is probably what I am looking for most. I will be sitting as close as 2 feet from it at times so picture quality is a must.

My budget for a TV is $2000. I am currently considering this unit:

I have also looked at models from Akai and Panasonic.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, panasonic tends to be markedly better in the Extended Def Plasmas.

I don't think there are any 42" LCD or larger in that price range is there?

Jim_Smith_

Auditioning
There are no 42 inch LCD's in that price range, but I am willing to go smaller if it means a much better picture. I was looking at a JVC 26 inch LCD for around $1500 I think.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The problem with smaller, is it can seem better just because of that.. It's smaller.

I'd go with the plasma and size myself. I would choose an ED Panasonic Plasma over any of the more bargain HD Plasmas I have personally seen. There is so much more to a display than the raw resolution it can produce.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I would think a 42" ED plasma viewed at two feet would be pretty ?????grainey???? Not something I think I'd choose for close up computer work anyway.

Mort

Jim_Smith_

Auditioning
I have yet to see a plasma hooked up to a PC, so I have no clue what it will look like. I have duel monitor support and plan to have a 2nd 17 inch LCD for when I want to watch TV on the plasma and still work on the PC.

I went to Best Buy and Circuit City tonight and looked at some displays. The Panasonic ED's did seem to have a slight better picture. All the lower end plasma's I looked at did have slight artifacting, but all looked good to me, even up close.

I am still deciding.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Remember ... one does not buy a NEON and then complain that it performs like a NEON. :D

Regards

SimiA

Second Unit
"I will be sitting as close as 2 feet from it at times so picture quality is a must."

At 2 feet, a 42" plasma is out of the question.
The sreen door affect alone would be annoying, not to mention the resolution of the set when used as a computer monitor just wouldn't cut it.
You'd be able to see all the defects of the image being displayed. You might want to consider the HP L2335 23" LCD.
A true 1920x1200 HD monitor.
Just a thought.
Vb

Sceptre

Auditioning
Real Name
Sceptre Inc
Originally Posted by Jim_Smith_

There are no 42 inch LCD's in that price range, but I am willing to go smaller if it means a much better picture. I was looking at a JVC 26 inch LCD for around $1500 I think.
Have you looked in Sceptre LCD's?..42" LCD's are starting at $1,200. This is a really good price.
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x420bv-F120.htm

This is how it looks if you want to see it...Hope this helps

SoundDoc

Grip
Real Name
John Franks
Jim,

You are confusing a computer monitor with a video display, which is quiet easy to do. If you want a 42-inch display for TV and you aren't ready to show HDTV on it now - including BD movies - then WAIT and just purchase the size computer monitor you need, and it probably won't be 42-inches. I have found that once the computer display gets above 23 or so inches that eye movement and placement of work objects gets to be a problem. So, while you think you may want a larger work surface, unless you have entire areas of your surface where absolutely nothing is gong on and that doesn't bother you, go larger. I also like being able to pivot the display; something I can do at 23 inches, but not at 42 inches.

All that said, the native display of a 23-inch monitor these days should be 1920 x 1080. It can be higher, but no lower at that size. Then, if you want to watch HDTV on your monitor, you can.

I have a 37-inch 1080 p monitor that I thought would make a great display, but it hasn't worked out that way because it simply has too much space. It's used for TV now. I need to us my eyes microversions as I move across the screen, not macroversions that will lead to eye fatigue.

Good lkuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks