What's new

Looking for a DVD-NMP (or BD-NMP) hybrid (1 Viewer)

MsbS

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcin
Hey guys. I'm looking for a very specific set of features in a DVD/BD player (basically, a Network Media Player with a DVD/BD drive). After a quick search at the major manufacturer's sites, I could not find a product that would satisfy my needs. Can you help out?

MUST-HAVE FEATURES:

[*]CD and DVD playback (I can handle BDs from my PS3 anyway)
[*]Network Media Player functionality (files hosted on a NAS server): MP3, avi, mkv, mp4.
[*]Media library incuding metadata/thumbnails download from the Internet (imdb, tvdb, etc.)
[*]Subtitle support (srt), including non-English characters (Central Europe)
[*]Output: HDMI
[*]LCD display (CD player style - track number and playing time).
[*]IR remote (so I can use my Logitech Harmony)
[/list]
NICE-TO-HAVE FEATURES:

[*]digital audio out (toslink or coax)
[*]Web interface (for the music collection - browsing the library without turning on the TV)
[*]Internet radio (TuneIn, Shoutcast, DI.fm)
[/list]
THINGS I DON'T CARE ABOUT:

[*]3D
[*]Wifi (ethernet is enough)
[*]USB, eSATA, internal HDD - all data stored on NAS
[*]If it has digital audio, I don't care about D/A converter quality.
[/list]

MsbS

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcin
Having spent the past 2 days browsing the manufacturers' sites, I am inclined to believe that there is no device in the market that would satisfy my needs. Too bad - I will stick to my current setup: one streaming device (aka Network Media Player) and one DVD/BD player for them discs (mostly DVD and Audio CD).

Anyway, perhaps I could upgrade the streaming component. I currently use a WD TV Live (Gen 3). It is generally fine - it was terrible when I used an external NTFS drive, but with media on NAS the media library works reasonably well.

I would like to improve two things though:
- better metadata retrieval (data+thumbs) - preferably, also from tvdb.com or themoviedb.org).
- better web gui - one that will allow me to play an MP3 from my library without turning on the TV (in my case - projector).
- better internet radio support (di.fm), also internet radio channels selectable from the web gui.

Any ideas which players have good media library + metadata, with a nice web interface (where you can browse the library)? Or is HTPC (with XBMC or VNC) my only choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks