1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a DIY kit that might rival the Onix Reference Ones.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by James W. Johnson, Dec 31, 2005.

1. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Well-Known Member

I hear these are pretty good sounding speakers...ive love to make something similar..

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=23.1

Anybody got a kit out these days that might rival this speaker?

I am looking to build a new front stage with these so a matching center would be nice too.

thanks

2. al lout

al lout Well-Known Member

James,

Check out the GR-Research A/V-2 (bookshelf). I built the A/V-3 (floorstand) and extremely happy with them. Great sound, crystal clear and clean...

Al,

3. James W. Johnson

Hi Al, thanks...ive seen the various GR-Research speakers discussed around the net for years, seems they get mostly good reviews.

4. James W. Johnson

Ok, that AV-1 looks about like something id like to build.

But I wonder how a single AV-1 would do for center channel duty,anyone here use an AV-1 for center duty?

5. James W. Johnson

Another speaker id consider would be a 5.25" driver configured MTM mini-tower type speaker or maybe even one that uses a single 5.25" driver.

Ive always found Totem's little 5.25" 2 way towers attractive.

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english...nding_hawk.htm

Basically I need some small high performance speakers, if they could extend down to 40hz in room id be happy...lower would be nice too.

6. John Wes

John Wes Well-Known Member

Check out the Extremis series.

7. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Well-Known Member

8. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Well-Known Member

Personally I'd build the AV/3 center to go with the AV/1 fronts. Ironically a friend and I are building some GR-Research speakers this weekend, starting this weekend anyway. He's doing the AV/1's and I'm doing the AV/3's. Should be interesting. He's going to build the AV/3 center to go with his AV/1 fronts.

9. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Well-Known Member

Blaine - please keep us updated on how your GR Research work goes! I'm very interested in building a set of fronts to start...trying to decide between AV/2 and AV/3. If all goes well with those, I'll probably do an AV/3 for the center right away, and eventually some rears.

10. Blaine_M

I'll try to remember to do that. I just ordered the No Rez material Sunday. I have to have that installed before I can put the front pannels in place. The only thing I'm not sure about on the AV/3 center is that it only goes down to 80hz because it is a sealed box. My center sits in an entertainment center so I have to have a front port. Remember that the AV/2's are 4 ohm speakers and the AV/3's are 8 ohm if that makes a difference when you decide. The regular AV/3's will hit 40hz according to the specs. I am running with an SVS sub, but I just don't know if that center will be too restrictive or not.....

11. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Well-Known Member

For those with GR Research speakers (or I suppose any of these bigger DIY speakers) - pardon my ignorance, but what kind of power is required for them? Do you need to run them through an amp or something other than a typical receiver to get them powered correctly? Thanks.

12. Blaine_M

From reading the specs on the AV-3 I don't think anything huge is needed to run them (I think the AV-2's actually need more power than the AV-3's because they are 4 ohm). I have a Marantz SR5400, rated at 90w a channel I think into 8 ohm, I'm assuming from talking to Danny at GR-Research that should be fine. The AV-4 however I bet you'd want a much larger power plant!

13. cacu

cacu Well-Known Member

I don't know how these compare to the Onix Ref, but I'll just throw it out there.
    - The Eros (I built a pair and I'm happy with it)Link
    - The Ellis (I'd like to get one of these) Link
    - The Seas offering from Madisound Audio

14. JohnGil

JohnGil Well-Known Member