What's new

Looking for a center channel stand. (1 Viewer)

JamesCB

Second Unit
Hi all,

I have a Phase Technology PC-3.1 II for my center channel. This speaker is a hefty 40 lbs and I am becoming concerned about it's perch atop my 51" WS Hitachi RPTV. It very slightly (very slighly) bows the top of the tv. Looking directly across the top, I can see a sag of about 1/16". It's actually been like that for the year I've had it. Seems ok so far. But, for my peace of mind, it's time to relocate it.
The stand I need can not be taller than 12". I found on made by Wood Technology, but it seems a little flimsy and cheap. So I'm asking the wonderful guests and members of HTF to provide some feedback and links to some quality stands and sellers. My budget is a max of $200. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

James

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Here you go:

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index...ROD&ProdID=798

Plateau RT series. Steel. Sand fillable. 2@$99. While the stand actually measures 17", it can be cut down to any height with a hacksaw (use a cheap miterbox to get a straight cut).

Top and bottom plates screw to extruded colum w/ self taping screws. Screw holes (shafts) run the entire length of the column. Column can be cut to any length (it will always have the same profile).

JamesCB

Second Unit
Thank you, Rob. But, that won't work. I would very concerned about putting a 22" x 12" speaker (the PC 3.1II on its side) on a 8" x 8" top plate. If the top plate were wider, maybe. Besides, that looks like a pair. What am I going to do with the other stand?

Thank you though,
James

Edit: The "VTI RF Series 13 inch Center Channel Speaker Stand RFC" on that site looks promising. Or some of the other VTI's also.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Thats funny. Ive got a 24 X 12 speaker on mine. Solid as a rock.

If your really anal about it (no offense), put both stands under the speaker.

JamesCB

Second Unit
I understand how it sounds anal. I have 3 cats, and I just pictured one of them (one of them is almost 20 lbs) sitting on the speaker, possibly knocking it over. Better safe than sorry. I would prefer a single stand, though. I'm still looking.

James

Mike-W

Grip
I had the same concerns you have for my Energy Veritas 2.0C speaker on top of my Mitsu WS-55907. In my case I wanted an inexpensive stand that was black so it wouldn't stand out.

What I found was the APA Storage Box at Ikea. This box was the size I needed, was wood, could be painted and the best part it only cost $12.99! So I bought some black paint and painted it. Since the TV is black, the speaker is black and the stand is black so you don't really see the speaker or stand.

JamesCB

Second Unit
The Sanus SFC18b that Chip reccomends looks nice. But, to clear the screen on my tv, I would need to cut it down to 12". Is that possible? Are there any connection issues to the top or bottom plates if I had to cut it? How are the posts connected to the top and bottom?

James

Chip E

Screenwriter
The tubes have a welded threaded insert in them at the top&bottom of each tube. They screw onto the top&bottom plate. You would have to cut a section out and replace or maintain the threaded-welded inserts, top&bottom. I thought they made this model in a 12" but, i don't see it on the site. This stand is heavy duty (looks great too)..

Alex F.

Second Unit
James:

An alternative, which I've read about in the A-V magazines on occasion, is placing a large sheet of glass between the loudspeaker and the top of the RPTV. A wide piece of glass spreads out the weight of the speaker to a greater area of the RPTV, especially to the far sides, which are load-bearing areas.

But since your RPTV has already bowed in, there remains the possibility that the glass might crack in the center area if you didn't add a thin filler.

Or, you could substitute a large sheet of wood, sanded to a nice finish and painted either flat or glossy black, depending upon what better matches your RPTV's appearance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, didn't see the 12" thing, just went by the title. Well, here are some from parts express:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=240-745

I have a set of the 24" versions of both the high and medium mass versions and they are very decent for the price; very heavy, fillable, and decent looking (pair again). If you go to the pulldown, you can look at a few other 12" models, or type in [12" speaker stand] in the search area.

What you can do with any of these stands is just screw down a board to the top platform to give you some width.

TonyWright

Second Unit
I am currently using that 12" stand that Chip posted above. I have no complaints about it. Does your center have a glossy finish by any chance?

Mine has black piano laquer caps on top and bottom so a little trick I used was to put rubber feet on the top plate of stand. Then place the speaker on the stand. Let a few days pass and pick up that center and watch the stand stick to it. It might make it very difficult for the cats to knock it off of the stand.

The rubber feet I used came with the stand and were meant to protect a hard floor from the base of the stand. However, I have carpet in that room so I used the included spikes and put the rubber feet to use on the top of the stand.

Hope your quest for a good stand works out for you. If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Tony Wright

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can also use Blu-tac to stick the speaker to the stand, and if you get a stand that weighs enough, even 20lb cats probably won't be a problem.

Don't list your gear in your signature because the search function will pick up every one of your posts, relevant or not.

TonyWright

Second Unit
John,

Good call on not listing gear in a signature. I hadn't thought about it showing up in searches. Consider it removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks