1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a 6.1 receiver under $400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by TylerCrawford, Nov 8, 2003.

1. TylerCrawford

TylerCrawford Member

Hey there. I'm looking to pickup a 6.1 reciever. The features I'm looking for are pretty basic, just 6.1, don't need video switching. The main thing I'd like is a receiver that will sound pretty good for 2ch stereo. My speakers are Paradigm Monitor 3's for mains, CC370 and Atoms for surrounds (will be adding a CC170 for rear surround). I have a small room about 10' X 10' and usually listen at moderate levels (about 10 on my crappy Sony)
    I'd like to buy something locally so I can check it out. Dealers around me sell Yamaha, Sony, Kenwood, JVC, and Denon. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Well-Known Member

Have a look at the H/K line.

3. RonJon

RonJon Member

You should take a look at the Onkyo HTR510. eCost is selling them for $150 or so delivered. They are allegedly refurbed by Onkyo and come with the factory warranty.

It has quite a few features for the money and adequate video switching. I bought one and am quite pleased with it especially for the $$ paid.:b

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Well-Known Member

Have a look at the HK AVR-325 or the HK AVR-230... The 230 is a 6.1 channel reciever while the 325 is a 7.1 channel.

5. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Well-Known Member

Of the receivers you have locally, and considering the budget you have, I would look at Denon and Yamaha. Some people say that Yamahas are bright, and that Paradigms are also bright so that it might not be a good match, but sound is really subjective. I would suggest that, since you're buying locally, you should go listen to the receivers and get the one you like best.

6. jad

jad Active Member

I am not a big hk fan but after spending time this weekend with the avr230 I'm pretty impressed especially after my fatiguing sessions with the Sony 2000es.

7. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Well-Known Member

im not either, but either way you cut it, they have awsome sound. just the reliability is in question. I have a pioneer 810, it sounds excellent, 6.1, and every connection I have needed. I picked it up for 250 cdn, the list on it at the time was 1299 or something like that at the stereo shop here, I got mine at sears. no box or connection wires. everything else was there. Im super pleased with the unit. I recommend a pioneer receiver to anybody for dollar to performance ratio.

8. Stephen*G

Stephen*G Member

Try the Onkyo TX-SR 601 from bestpriceaudiovideo.com the sell it for 399.00 delivered brand new and they don't have pushy sales people.