What's new

Looking at 61" LCoS JVC HD-61FN97 (1 Viewer)

Brian D H

Second Unit

Unfortunately, I don't have a dedicated room.
So: I need the Iris control for day vs night viewing. But I also will be using this for SD TV viewing, so I'm thinking that the 56" is too big.

Suggestions?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My only suggestion is to spend some time at the store and stare for a long time at these sets and see if you are okay with it, or develop eyestrain from 30 minutes of viewing. Some people are okay, while others will complain about the eyestrain, and everyone is different.

I stared for a long time and concluded LCOS wasn't for me, and I think it's a worthy exercise since you'll be the one that has to stared at the set for quite some time if you decide to buy a LCOS set. Definitely play around with models that have the adjustable iris control and see if you can find an iris setting that makes it comfortable to watch for 20-30 minutes at a time.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Patrick,

I was aware of eye-strain with DLPs, but I hadn't heard of a problem with LCoS. Is it the brightness that's the issue or some kind of flicker that I hadn't heard about? I was thinking that I'd need iris control mainly to get the best picture (it would be turned down unless the room is REALLY bright - or unless the TV I get has a REALLY good and fast automatic iris control) - I wasn't figuring on eye-strain issues. I'll certainly look into this.

Anyway, it looks like I can get a Sony LCoS with iris control in 50" size, but it would cost as much (if not more) than the 56" JVC. Plus I've heard that the Sony sets don't handle 3:2 pull down nearly as well (and I hate jaggies/moire effects). Certainly the JVC looks like the better deal. Is 8-9 feet too close for this set?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Like I said, just take some time to stare at the sets and see if you are happy with the video quality, and if you find yourself with eyestrain or not. I found the Sonys to be have less eyestrain, while the JVC was worse for me and eyestrain.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Maybe I'm just not having a problem (fingers crossed), but I'm wondering what it was that bothered your eyes about the LCoS sets. I'm curious - I know that you prefer Plasma, and they didn't affect your eyes - were they less bright, less flicker, etc.?

Or are you simply saying that you found the LCoS fatiguing, but don't really know what the problem was?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would say it was a combo of bulb brightness and SSE over a 20-30 minute span of viewing. Perhaps being able to ratchet down the iris to control brightness output would fix the issue, but I just couldn't keep it as an option for my own personal TV choices.

For me, when SSE shows up, and the brightness doesn't help, it totally destroys the illusion of what I'm watching. Say I'm staring at a construction I-beam, with SSE, the I-beam doesn't look like a solid object because the SSE bleeds the I-beam into the rest of the scene to some degree, but without SSE, the I-beam looks just like an I-beam and doesn't get bled in with its surroundings.

I noticed this at Best Buy when they would show that really colorful animated short on mechanical robots playing musical instruments (industrial-looking pieces) for an instrumental music video. SSE causes the industrial pieces to bleed into one another to some degree that I can notice, but with plasma, the pieces were nice and solid and separate from one another. Turning down the brightness solves some of the SSE, but then you lose black level integrity.

Brian D H

Second Unit

So the Sony's have less SSE in your opinion? I don't think I'm that bothered by SSE, but I'll check it out.

Anyone out there who thinks that iris control isn't that important? (I doubt it.) I'm just really wishing that I could go with the 52" JVC, darn it. Hmm, anyone hear about JVC adding this feature to the 52" in the future?

Secondly, (since I'm not holding my breath on the iris control on the 52" JVC) how does this feature compare on the 56" JVC to the Sony's - ease of setting, function of automatic iris control, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks