What's new

Lone Survivor Review (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
The film draws from Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down and Danny Boyle's 127 Hours, functioning not only as a document of a tactical military operation gone awry, but also as an inspirational tale of brotherhood and survival. As is to be expected, the requisite amount of gung-ho patriotism is on display here, but it's applied with discretion — not slathered on — to ensure that it doesn't overshadow the humanity of the story, which is paramount. Events don't just unfold as a series of calculated military moves, although there's enough strategizing to satisfy die-hard war buffs. The performances of the actors communicate the emotional toll of every decision, and we feel the impact of every life lost. The film also reminds audiences that war isn't black and white, but shades of grey, and that there is always the human element that can shift the tides of a conflict.
4 out of 5.

Here's my full review.

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Freddie Zaragoza
I liked it a lot especially the comraderie among the soldiers. Real brothers in arms. They were courageous to the end.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
This was a nice surprise for me. I really, REALLY liked this movie. It was a story that was well told, well acted and had great pacing.

The sound...WOW...the sound was amazing. I saw this in a new Cineplex VIP theatre and was so happy with the sound. I think the this should win an Academy Award for sound editing!

My only slight complaint is that the opening scene and the title kind of ruin the ending. It would have been much more powerful to be kept wondering how many might have actually survived.

Highly recommended!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aaron Silverman said:
To be fair, it's a pretty well-known story.
Right, the book was a best seller and he's been on several TV programs over the years, so it's like watching the story of their brotherhood more than just him surviving this ordeal.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Not to get into politics, but I am seeing some truly offensive agenda-laden reviews of this. Fortunately, it seems that most reviewers are considering it on its cinematic merits.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
It is here in the States.
I suspect it would be. I'm just surprised that I haven't heard of it or don't remember it. I must have been under a rock when these events occurred. I've seen the trailer for the film. It looks like it might be a good film. I've tended to avoid watching films about an ongoing war as I feel that they end up lacking balance. The last one I watched was "The Hurt Locker". It has to be one of the few war films I have seen that seems to take no stand either for or against war in general. It was uncanny that it seemed to have no bias or the bias was so artfully buried that I just missed it.

I'll have to think about going to see this one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific film. One of the years best. ***1/2 out of ****Thanks Sam for posting those videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks