1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lone Star season 1 thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Can a show featuring a con man in Texas with 2 different sets of burgeoning family ties and the cushy after-House timeslot (Mondays at 9 p.m.on Fox) garner enough eyeballs to stay on the air?

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Well-Known Member

I am going to give it a try; although it will be the last show from Moday night to clear the DVR.

- Walter.

3. ScottH

ScottH Well-Known Member

Scott
    I think this and 'The Event' are the only local network new shows I will be checking out this fall. And I'm not expecting either to be that great.

4. ScottH

ScottH Well-Known Member

Scott
    I thought the pilot was okay. I'll probably keep watching at least for now. I can't help but think the show would be better off with a more charismatic lead.

5. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Well-Known Member

I would have to disagree with you here. James Wolk displayed just the right amount of charisma to the role. As for the pilot itself, I thought it was perfect and had a great indie feel to it; one I haven't seen since "October Road". Unfortunately, the ratings were beyond low for the premiere (although I've read this morning a decision hasn't been made yet). I hope Fox gives it some traction first or this will be the second pilot with David Keith and Bryce Johnson they pushed to the side. I'm still disappointed in Fox for not picking up (or at least airing it somewhere -- hell given the familiar cast and crew involved, there has never been a DVD release and they've had plenty of chances to capitalize on it) all seven produced episodes to an unaired pilot I had chance to see years ago called "Still Life". They had a very moving, well written, strongly acted, family drama on their hands. There was a lot of potential there.

6. ScottH

ScottH Well-Known Member

Scott

Yeah I don't know. I've never seen him in anything before but I thought he was very wooden and didn't play the emotional scenes with his father very well.

7. ChrisCook

He had a breakout role two years ago as "Brad Cohen" in Hallmark Hall of Fame's "Front of the Class". Worth checking out (I'm really surprise it doesn't come up more on HTF as the supporting cast included Treat Williams, Sarah Drew, and Patricia Heaton), and he plays the emotional scenes extremely well in that production. If "Lone Star" is given the chance, the father/son dynamic in this will likely evolve. I like what I've seen so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1292594/

8. ScottH

ScottH Well-Known Member

Scott

Yeah I liked it enough to keep watching. I was hoping for a more stable (emotionally) conman premise, but this could work if the writing is good.

9. ChrisCook

10. ChrisCook

Just FYI, House is running three minutes into Lone Star's timeslot this week for those DVRing this show.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    That was a fantastic pilot. Halfway through I told my wife, "I hope this goes someplace, because this is a show of horrible people that I don't want to watch."

Well, it went someplace. And it's still a show of horrible people. But it's exquisitely well crafted and I have to stay with it. And the lead has enough "redemption" in him to not be wholly off-putting. Looking forward to the ep 2.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

The ratings are abysmal, so unless something changes I don't think you'll have to worry staying with it too long.

13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I guess people can't get behind the tale of a polygamist con man who steals from middle class.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, there's always Big Love to fall back on, I suppose, if this show gets the boot soon.

15. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Well-Known Member

This was on the Hallmark Channel over the weekend and I watched it. Very good movie and James Wolk was excellent in it.

16. ChrisCook

17. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I'm still watching...

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I wonder if they had casted a "name" in the lead role, would the ratings be a bit better, or is the subject matter just not people's cup of tea at the moment?

19. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    It's the timeslot. I'll bet people are watching The Event or Dancing with the Stars over Lone Star. I watched The Event, but TiVo'd Lone Star.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You're part of the problem!!!!

"24" was getting 2-2.5 times the ratings in that timeslot last season (when it returned in the winter for its un-interrupted run into May). "Lie to Me" got roughly twice the ratings over Lone Star in the same timeslot (but it was facing lesser competition on NBC's "Trauma" in that 9 p.m. timeslot), so I think the Q-factor of Jimmy Wolk just isn't high enough at this time in his career to carry a show. This season, NBC is a bit stronger with "The Event" pulling in 3 million more sets of eyeballs than "Trauma" did last season at this time.