What's new

LONE RANGER:250 mil gets you canceled but 215 mil is just right ? (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
12183504_LoneRanger1956-WB-one.jpeg

ed832ce2_LoneRanger1956-WB-three.jpeg

bb04578e_LoneRangerLostCity1958-UA-one.jpeg

e837bf1f_LoneRangerLostCity1958-UA-poster.jpeg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And anyone that raids an upscale party for Pizza Rolls has my vote for cool.
[VIDEO]

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Richard--W said:
30740ba1_LoneRanger1956-WB-standee.jpeg

The above is a full-size theater lobby stand-up from 1956,...
If that can be translated into a film, all the energy that pictures shows... could take me back to being a kid again and enjoying it a lot.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
To make you feel like a kid again, the film would need more than energy and action. It would need to uphold the same moral compass and inner decency, the same empathy for the unfortunate, and to provide youngsters with the same good role model, without making a point that it's doing so.
Considering the writers and director involved, the actors involved, and the studio involved, don't count on it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm not ready to slam it for what I've seen so far. I'm not expecting Sergio Leone's Lone Ranger. Just expecting a good time. Still need a trailer... I seldom go to the theater anymore since I live in a small town. So it will probably be a while before I see it. discount priced blu ray. So it will have to be good enough to warrant a purchase.
My thoughts are that everything ever done for LR will be made available, a nice side effect from these kinds of things. Although, the big Alice movie didn't get me a restored version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972 musical) on blu ray.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
VCI brought out the best editions of the two feature films:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005UWA8/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005UWA9/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
Complete, uncut, reasonably clean transfers with good stable accurate rich color.
Obviously transferred from the best available source.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched the two trailers that have been released for this film. The werewolves seem to have disappeared. It looks like it appears to be a more traditional high adventure western with nasty human adversaries, not supernatural ones........unless they somehow come in later. Right now, based on the two trailers I saw, I might actually go see it. I really don't have a problem suspending disbelief in a hero wearing a mask in this film, because I don't expect to see a historically accurate depiction of the American Old West. Although, I do have reservations regarding the casting of Depp as Tonto.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm just hoping that they follow the basic template of the first Pirates Of The Caribbean movie and make a fun adventure movie (rather than getting needlessly complicated like they did with the first two Pirates sequels).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right now, judging by the trailers, it looks like it is going to be a straight forward action-adventure film, but I guess we'll have to wait on further trailers to see whether that really turns out to be the case.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Give me Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels any day! Why doesn't VCI reissue THE LONE RANGER (1956) and THE LONE RANGER AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD (1958) double disc sets again on DVD or even better still on Blu-ray? With a full-restoration of GORGO (1961) on Blu-ray pending why not this great THE LONE RANGER doublebill as well? Jeff T. :D

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I saw a newer trailer for it yesterday. Both my wife and I were stunned at how generic and dull this looks. Depp simply does NOT make a good native American Indian. This seems to have disaster written all over it.

In reading this thread, I had no idea that there used to be (or are there still?) werewolves in this. How bizarre!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Edwin-S said:
I watched the two trailers that have been released for this film. The werewolves seem to have disappeared. It looks like it appears to be a more traditional high adventure western with nasty human adversaries, not supernatural ones........unless they somehow come in later. Right now, based on the two trailers I saw, I might actually go see it. I really don't have a problem suspending disbelief in a hero wearing a mask in this film, because I don't expect to see a historically accurate depiction of the American Old West. Although, I do have reservations regarding the casting of Depp as Tonto.
(Heheh, "reservations".... ^_^ )
Actually, part-native Depp is the one taking it seriously--The ONLY one. The script very intentionally had him in mind to play Captain Jack Tonto (who thinks he's a mystical shaman but we have our doubts) and the Lone Turner, but Depp turned it around and tried to make stereotypes serious and iconic by playing Jay Silverheels' stoic hmh-kemosabe delivery straight without irony.
Looks like it works, but they ended up burying it in Rossio & Elliot's mumbo-jumbo (no werewolves, but Tonto believes villain Butch Cavendish is the "incarnation" of an evil spirit he has to fight), and Gore Verbinski's self-indulgent attempts to bring back all the Weird Gulch jokes from Rango (some almost directly scribbled-over).

I will confess that, as I'm only going from an early-draft synopsis, I don't know for a fact that the Ranger rides an elephant at one point in the final cut. Some marketing evidence, however, would tend to suggest that he does.
(Insert "Budget metaphor" jokes here.)
Radioman970 said:
I'm not ready to slam it for what I've seen so far. I'm not expecting Sergio Leone's Lone Ranger.
I HAVE seen enough to slam it (well, not seen it, but got a painstakingly detailed scene-by-scene synopsis in a marketing survey, and cringed through the whole thing...)
And while I'm not expecting Sergio Leone either, I'd rather take a less silly do-over of the 1981 movie, with a reverent sense of fun and a real actor this time. (Seriously--Twin Peaks' Michael Horse wasn't a goofy Tonto, and the moment we first see the mask and hear Rossini's bugle still sends pop-chills down your spine.)

As for the trailer, they've been all over the web, and only now just starting to promote the Ranger as the star of the movie (say, there's an idea...), possibly in response to a lot of bad audience tracking.
Even so, they beat the train chase/crash pretty well to death, and one of the questions on the survey was "Have you seen Shanghai Noon?" Uh, yes, I have. Sorry.
Radioman970 said:
Although, the big Alice movie didn't get me a restored version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972 musical) on blu ray.
Aw, man...Had to go and bring that up. :mellow: And I know there's a widescreen, absolutely stunning color-correct pristine HD version of Alice '72 that's playing somewhere in the UK satellite ether.
(Oddly enough, Disney's Oz inspired Warner to release two more BBC Alice titles to cash in, which also says a lot about how badly Disney is fooling some folks nowadays.)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Is Depp part Native American? Because I have to tell you, seeing him in that goofball makeup stuff, which I can't find any historical reality for - strikes me about the same as if I was going to a movie where a white actor put on blackface and pretended through the whole film in a real role, not a goof.. maybe it's just me, but wow does it strike me as wildly offensive.

That said (which is enough for me not to go), the trailer to this looks TERRIBLE, I mean, it reminds me of one of those fake-trailers on TV that suddenly turns into a commercial for Sears appliances at the end.

I keep waiting for some bad guy to run head on into a refrigerator.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not feeling this July 4th offering, and it's been a while since I wasn't excited by a tent pole flick on the 4th of July weekend.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
No. For-the-last-freakin'-time, NO WEREWOLVES.
Just elephants. And Helena Bonham Carter with a fake-leg gun, a la Grindhouse. There, now, don't you feel better? ;)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ejanss said:
No. For-the-last-freakin'-time, NO WEREWOLVES.
Just elephants. And Helena Bonham Carter with a fake-leg gun, a la Grindhouse. There, now, don't you feel better? ;)
If it doesn't have any werewolves then i'm not watching it. :(

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
It's a western. And Hollywood makes so few westerns I feel I have to go see it--whether I'll like it or not. And I probably won't. But the Lone Ranger origin story still resonates with me just as the Superman one does. They're part of my cultural DNA. Although, granted, I still haven't gone to see MAN OF STEEL.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I used to watch the old Lone Ranger tv show with my dad when I was a kid. My 10yr old wants to see this. So I am going with my Dad and my son. Hope it's good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks