What's new

Lois and Clark possibly in 2005! (1 Viewer)

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jerry. Who said anything about honoring Christopher Reeve as it applies to the discussion of L&C on DVD? If you didn't like the L&C series, nobody is forcing you to buy it or to comment about it here.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
This was really the only primetime television series I ever watched consistently growing up save for TGIF sitcoms. I remember rushing to finnish my homework in grade 5 and dashing to the couch in my livingroom with my dad to tune into ABC and catch the follow-up episodes every other night. This was a really fun show from what I remember and I'm anxious to revisit it on DVD!

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator

I have just as much right to comment as you do. I just wanted to suggest better DVDs representing the work of Christopher Reeve.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hard as it may be to believe Jerry, some of us enjoy Lois & Clark.

I don't think ANYONE is suggesting that this has anything to do with Chris Reeve, other than perhaps lamenting his passing. (I think you are kind of reaching, considering that David pointed out that the SILVER-SCREEN Superman has passed on.) It's pretty obvious that the only connection is that two actors wore red & blue tights.

But hey, thanks for the thread farts... :)

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Just curious - how is it known who "most people" consider to be the quintessential Superman? Is this stat from some online poll?

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe this isn't the place for a war about who was the best Superman. In my opinion, I think that your ideal Superman is going to be who you grew up watching.

For me, George Reeves will always be Superman. I never really cared for Christopher Reeve's portrayal (of course, his real life heroics are agreed on by all). And although I've read the knocks about Dean Cain, I think he was wonderful! He was particulary good if you really understood the concept of Lois & Clark, which was that Clark was the real guy and it was Superman that was the disguise.

Lois & Clark in 2005! WooHoo!!!!!!!

LeonaB

Stunt Coordinator
I LOVED L&C's remake of "Panic in the Sky." So many memorable moments (amnesiac Clark putting on glasses to not look stupid, Cat trying to convince Clark that they were an item, Cat's confession to the priest, Clark asking Lois if they were more than friends, etc.). But I think my favorite moment is Jonathan and Martha trying to teach Clark to fly and she pushes him off the roof. LOL!!!

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

When I originally posted it wasn't too suggest that Lois and Clark would be a good way of honoring Christopher Reeve's memory...it was merely to remark on the coincidence of Christopher Reeve, who is generally thought of as being Superman, passing away and then the release of Lois and Clark, which is about Superman, though portrayed by a different actor, being announced on the same day. Two monumental things in regards to the Superman world happened (or were announced) on the same day and it just seemed rather coincidental.

So no more farting or fighting;)

I remember that episode of L&C where he gets amnesia...and yes, when Mrs. Kent tries to push him off the roof, that was very funny.

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this series. I liked the way that it was about Clark Kent not about Superman. Dean Cain was great in the role and Clark Kent was the sexy one.

I did grow up with Christopher Reeve as Superman and looking at those movies it annoys me that he played Clark as such a useless dork. He may be great as Superman but annoying as Clark.

And that's why I like Smallville as well. It's about Clark Kent.

I don't remember George Reeves (probably before I was born).

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Man, I'm so excited! I love the cover art and I'm gonna LOVE watching the show again!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
As much as I love Teri Hatcher, I don't understand the appeal of Desparate Housewives. It's a boring, unwatchable show to me and it isn't even funny. The only good thing to come out of that was that Teri finally won awards for something (the Golden Globe and SAG awards). I think she looks even better now at 40 then she did from her days as a frequent guest-star on MacGyver (as Penny Parker) and as Lois Lane.

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was a fun show, as Teri was just as good -- but different than the big screen's Margot Kidder in the Lois role. The 1950s series was too primitive even for its time and is only good for laughs. In the role of Clark Kent / Superman George Reeves was wooden. At least Christopher Reeve had done some Shakespeare in college, but in 4 films he played Clark as a totally inept nerd (even if Clark was putting on an act so nobody would catch on that he's Superman) and now watching the original Superman movie for the first time in years, that bothered me. (Superman II was the best of the movies, by the way).

At least Tom Welling as the teenage Clark Kent on Smallville is a natural talent. He looks like a young Chris Reeve, but is more believable than any of the actors to play the role in the past. He doesn't play Clark as a bumbling geek, and if we ever see him become Superboy in this series he won't behave any differently just because he puts on that silly cape and tights! One of the most endearing things about this show is that Clark is Clark and true to himself.....except when he is exposed to red kryptonite and he acts like a punk!

Having never seen the syndicated "Superboy" series that came before Lois & Clark, I won't comment on that. But I also prefer Smallville because it's revisionist approach to the Superman legend's BTC years (Before the Cape) and completely modernizing the storyline as Lois & Clark had done was an excellent move.

For example: In the first Superman film, the Kents are seen as being much older (Glenn Ford as Jonathan, who also dies by the 1950s). I won't even get into the mistakes in the timeline between the 1950s and 1978 here! ;)

Jonathan and Martha are alive throughout the duration of Lois & Clark, but in Smallville they are much closer to Clark's age and played by middle-aged actors who look good for their ages: Annette O'Toole (who had previously played Lana Lang in the otherwise slapstick Superman III) and Dukes of Hazard's John Schneider as Jonathan.

Although there is no argument that a great actor like Gene Hackman was superb as Lex Luthor in the first 2 films, Michael Rosenbaum excels as a young Lex in Smallville. His portrayal is that of a man who has not entirely turned to a life of crime and is actually Clark's friend! As always, a TV series allows us to see the development of its characters over an extended period, which movies just don't have the time to do.

As for other characters pre-Smallville, I don't recall Lex's father Lionel, their never-ending battle over control of LutherCorp, or classmates Chloe (who has recently learned Clark's secret), or Pete (learned Clark's secret long before Chloe did). Pete was written out of the show last year, when he left Smallville. Were any of these characters in earlier versions of Superman or Superboy?

In the current season, Lois Lane (played by Erica Durance) entered the picture as an occasionally seen classmate of Clark's (and cousin of Chloe -- a high school reporter herself) she already has connections as a cub reporter for The Daily Planet in Metropolis on assignment in Smallville to investigate the weird going-ons. Erica plays this Lois with as much spunk as Margot once did.

We've even seen Margot herself show up as assistent to the late Dr. Swann. Christopher Reeve's last role was as the wheelchair-bound Swann guesting in 2 earlier episodes of this series. It was Swann who knew the secret of Clark's original from Krypton, due in large part to the drawings on some cave walls located in Smallville.

The "meteor rocks" (kryptonite) were an element of the Superman legend, but Smallville's writers made that a major part of the series so that a number of people in Smallville got superpowers because of effects of the kryptonite and / or experiments illegally performed on them by LutherCorp scientists. I guess ordinary criminals just wouldn't be as much a threat to Clark. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks