What's new

Logitech Z680 hiss addressed (1 Viewer)

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
This is also posted in http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...47#post1410122
but with a different subject line. I figured I would post this here for those who just browse subject lines.

Logitech does have a fix for the hiss problem and they have admitted the problem, just not publicly.
Here is the link this came from and what to do:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/383/383537p1.html

Z-680 Hiss Addressed
Logitech knows about the problem. Now find out what they're doing about it.

January 23, 2003 - I get two kinds of emails about the Logitech Z-680s. The first kind comes from people going bananas over the system - really loving them. The second kind comes from people digging the system but not digging the low hiss that accompanies it. I should have reviewed the speakers in a quieter environment than IGN. At home I would have noticed the slightest imperfection, but even when it's quiet at the office there's much ambient sound, i.e. air conditioning, that is inescapable. Don't get me wrong, the speakers offer tremendous sound reproduction, awesome power, and tons of features. However, some of them do hiss. It's noticeable when no signal is going through the speakers. It disappears with any music, but if you simply turn them without a source you might hear a hiss.
Logitech hadn't exactly been dodging the issue, but they hadn't declared an official position on the issue either. Today, however, I spoke directly to Public Relations for Logitech's Audio Division to get an answer. My contact was very forthcoming in response:

The "hiss" issue is a known problem that can affect the Digital SoundTouch Control Center of the Z-680, specific to the 1.03 version of the Control Center's ROM.
We are actively working on a fix that should be available to customers by the end of January. Our customer support staff has been given a series of troubleshooting steps to determine if the Control Center is affected by the hiss issue. If customers are experiencing a higher than normal level of hiss, they should contact our customer support staff, so it can be determined if it is indeed the Control Center.

For affected customers, Logitech will replace the Control Center with an updated unit at Logitech's expense. (This is for both EU and US customers). Logitech is dedicated to providing the best possible product experience for all of our customers.

Logitech was careful to mention that the announcement wad relevant to both US and European consumers. There's been a rumor circulating that Logitech was simply replacing all Control Centers for Europeans. This is not entirely true. You US users can rest assured that Logitech is on your side as well.
I hope this answers questions for you 680 owners.

-- M. Wiley
These are awesome speakers and this, if fixed, just seals the deal.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Here is the response I received from Logitech... It is good news:
Hello Eric,

Thanks for your voicemail - I apologize for my delayed response - I was on a business trip since last Friday. I am sorry to hear that you received a different answer from customer support than the one posted on IGN.com. We
are indeed replacing control pods for the Z-680. I spoke with customer support last week before I left regarding this specific issue - at this time we are out of stock in the replacement units, but we have ordered
additional units. Of course, customer support will need to verify that you have the version of the POD that is being replaced - they will most likely
ask you to give them a few details from your unit. Once they have verified that your unit needs to be replaced - they should be able to get you out a new pod once the shipment arrives.

I have passed your email address over to our in-house customer support person that handles the speakers- he will contact you directly in order to resolve this issue.

My best,

Susan
I will let you know if I "qualify" or not and get a replacement.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
OK. I re-contacted Logitech armed with this information. I was told they are indeed changing out pods but do not have them in stock until the beginning of April. I was given a reference number to my open problem ticket and told to call back in early April. They asked if the serial number on the bottom of any of my speakers started with 900. It did. So, now I just have to wait for the part.
*The tech inadvertently mentioned Logitech does not have a official written policy for the techs to follow for these returns, so I suspect that is more cause for the delay than being "out of stock". We'll see.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I didn't know logitech dealt with home theater and home audio products.

What is this Z680?

Thanks.

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
They really sound fantastic. Currently they have one glaring challange: Hiss coming from all speakers at all times. The hiss is loud enough to be distracting. They have FINALLY fess'd up and will replace the control pod for free to fix this. They tell me the new units shipped are all OK. For a medium sized room, these really are great. I use them for both PC gaming and HT since they have optical and coax (RCA) digital inputs. All for $300!
-Eric

Matt

Grip
I just picked up mine for $219 (including $30 headphones and free shipping) from Dell. I got in on an amazing deal. Now I have the old Z-560's to get rid of.

From what I have heard, the Z-680's are pretty nice and I will find out pretty soon if it is true. I always considered the Z-560's good computer speakers but that is it. Now I should be able to enjoy music in my computer room. Cranking up the HT system two rooms away just didn't seem the best solution. :)

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks