What's new

Logan's Run BD this year?! (1 Viewer)

Heinz W

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Well, it was confirmed on this forum earlier this morning.
I saw a couple threads about it Ron, but this is the oldest and biggest thread on the subject so I thought it appropriate to maintain and update this thread.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No that's fine, Heinz. I just find it a little disturbing that we get
most of the same major press releases as other sites but members
here are always quick to post the news as if it is exclusive to those sites.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

No that's fine, Heinz. I just find it a little disturbing that we get
most of the same major press releases as other sites but members
here are always quick to post the news as if it is exclusive to those sites.
I value Press Releases far higher compared to some "Rumor Mill". Although this site is heavily Region 1/A USA centric.
For the person who has the Laserdisc with all the old extras. Just transfer them onto a DVD. I'm sure it's fine since LD isn't supported anymore and those extras aren't even on DVD.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Heinz W /forum/thread/282081/logan-s-run-bd-this-year/60#post_3588041
What sucks is I was never old enough to actively have LD. So I never even owned Logan's Run on LD. Perhaps someone could grab all the extras which aren't on the DVD/Blu-ray and just create a Supplemental Features deesc from the LD? I mean I want to do the same thing for The Criterion Collection LD of The Adventures of Robin Hood But dunno if there're any dupes from the HDDVD/Blu-ray carried over. I own the HDDVD of it. Not going to exchange it in the Trade program Warners has for the Blu-ray anyway.
For Lazordeesc (slightly stupid name but kind of silly) I usually check lddb.com
I most certainly agree with you about the cover art. Makes it look like we're buying the 2010 release. FROM THE FUTURE!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I thought the cover art was made just for this Bd release, but I saw the title in the Big Lots Warner dump o' titles, and it appears that they re-released the title in a keep case (with this art) in 2007. If the Bd weren't coming I would be tempted to gamble $3 to find out if it were a new better encode. It's likely that for a 2007 re-release, Warner would have went to the trouble of using their own Studio tag at the start of the disc- something they didn't do when they put out their first snapper case edition. That was clearly an MGM disc (image) slapped inside a Warner snapper.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I liked the older cover art for Logan's Run this one they started using about a year ago so on the BD is really ugly Tacky LAME. The creator of this new artwork should be ashamed, I can't imagine what other crtwork they created with photshop. I don't think I could be proud of that work at all.

GregK

Screenwriter
Yep. The new cover art blows!

Logan's Run was one of the earlier DVDs released, so it has been overdue for a video upgrade, let alone a 1080p HD version.

It's a safe bet to call this one "classic sci-fi". If you don't agree, just ask the Simpsons or the Family Guy!

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I'd have this movie like a shot, if it was more than a port-across of the DVD extras - that "Look at the 21st Century" featurette is in abominable quality on the DVD. I have a much better extended trailer on 8mm somewhere.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Everlasting gobstopper of a cover, that. :p

The print looks okay though. A bit grainy in some of those stills. But I'll upgrade without hesitation. And I'll do it again if they come out with something better. For the film's subject matter and Mrs. Agutter, I'll keep upgrading. :)

I love the dated look. Just takes me back. I wonder if we'll ever get a Blu Ray Westworld? These complement each other in my mind.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I would like to see COMA and WESTWORLD on BD. It would be cool if they were able to release those with lossless audio 5.1 tracks. I believe the most recent FSM Score releases for COMA and WESTWORLD featured the score from stereo tapes , so I think they could do better than mono DVD sound.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Every CD or LP release of Coma and Westworld has been from stereo tapes - FSM is not unique to a stereo release of these two titles.

Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

I would like to see COMA and WESTWORLD on BD. It would be cool if they were able to release those with lossless audio 5.1 tracks. I believe the most recent FSM Score releases for COMA and WESTWORLD featured the score from stereo tapes , so I think they could do better than mono DVD sound.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

Every CD or LP release of Coma and Westworld has been from stereo tapes - FSM is not unique to a stereo release of these two titles.
Sorry I didn't mean to imply their releases were the only ones in stereo, just that FSM released them more recently. As for COMA the sound out does my old LP and the older CD release by a long shot.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Coma is a great choice. I'm not totally disappointed by the DVD release. Although I haven't watched it since getting a 24" LCD for my PC.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
As a side note LR was shown on the channel "InHD" a few years ago (albeit cropped), and it looked really good. Says a lot as Cox was bitstarving their HD channels (~ 12mbps). I had a recording of it, but dumped my D-VHS collection a couple years ago.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm still waiting for a decent version of Outland. The LD port to DVD just added more problems to an already subpar transfer.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Jeff Ulmer /forum/thread/282081/logan-s-run-bd-this-year/90#post_3593169

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Another voice of support for a COMA release on Bd. I was just thinking about that movie a week ago. Great film. Unlike Outland, the current DVD is serviceable, but it's a quality piece of work with a great cast. I would love to have it in an even higher quality edition.
I'd also buy the Westworld/Futureworld films.

The impression I got from the comment in the last Warner HTF chat was that Outland would likely get repackaged and released in one of those 4 Film Favorite offerings or maybe a in double feature. Though nothing was implicit, it sounded like the film would get a new transfer but not necessarily a new or SE release. But then again, Arthur has had something ready now for the last three years and yet it still hasn't even been announced. Maybe these and Under The Rainbow are being saved for the 30th anniversary in 2 years

re: cover art for Logan's Run- I prefer the original key art be used, but I think if they had to come up with a new design to satisfy some overpaid suit, they could have done a lot worse. I had the same feeling that Ray had- this almost looks like a design that they could have went with 33 years ago. And I'd bet if it has a Criterion logo on it, more people would be inclined to compliment it.
I had thought this was worked up especially for the DVD but it appears they reissued the disc in a keep case edition 2 years back which is where this art was first used, I saw the disc for $3 in Big Lots.
Interesting if I want good past release catalog titles now, I have to skip Best Buy because they hardly ever stock those anymore. But the selection at Big Lots is quite good...sad.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott
This is an eventual purchase for me. I still quite enjoyed the film. I'd give it a "Want" to almost "Really Want" status.
Perhaps this will inspire Universal to release Silent Running? Only parts from that film which I considered dated the film were the folk songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks