What's new

Loewe Aconda + 460p = yuck? (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

As my old DVD player (interlaced only) has been on the fritz of late, and with a new DVD "blue-laser" player format war ensuing, I decided to replace the failing unit with a middle of the road unit (Denon 2815), figuring that for CD's the carousel would be a nice feature... Anyway, it supports both interlaced and progressive scan modes.

Since I was blown away by the Aconda's performance with my old JVC low end player, I was expecting to see a difference in my newer, better, progressive scan equipped Denon unit.

The interlaced playback mode looked great. As I was unable to do a side by side comparison between the old and new DVD player, I can't honestly say that it's any better looking, but certianly no worse.
Switching the player to progressive scan mode however, threw the image out of whack (this was corrected by setting the Aconda to DVD 460p (versus the DVD 460i set previously)). Though the picuture was now not doubled/distorted, it looked terrible! Very washed out and... grainy? (I can sum it up with one word - blah). It was reminiscent of viewing broadcast TV with rabbit ears on my old TV.

I should point out that I'm cabled thus:
DVD_Player----> Denon 3805 ----> Loewe Aconda.

Does anyone have any information about this?
I seem to remember hearing that the Aconda doesn't play well with progressive scan, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. Loewe's site offers not technical information, and the manual is next to useless. :)

Marc,

Here is my setup.

[Denon 2815 DVD_Player]--component video--> [Denon 3805 Reciever] --component video--> [Loewe Aconda]

(Edited, I'd enclosed the string "component video" in angle brackets, which the board seemed to interperet as html tags, and they were not displayed, sorry about that). :)

Ok, I've resolved my issue. It was partly resolved by resetting the Loewe's settings for that input to defaults. This immediately cleaned up the "washed out" appearance of the picture.

I was using the superbit version of "The Fifth Element" to check out the 2815. The text in the first few scenes "300 years later" (I believe that was it), was very difficult to read in progressive mode, but clear in the interlaced mode.

The text seemed to be superimposed on top of itself vertically. (Making a "P" look much like a "B" with a long stem kind of like that German character (I forget what it is called, but I digress...)

Anyway, I returned the unit to the store (they had nothing to exchange it with, as it was the last one).
I replaced the player with a Denon 2910 which displays the text equally well in interlaced and progressive mode.

I still don't know if the flaw was with that single unit or the entire 2815 series (perhaps the FLI2200?) *shrug*

All is well with the 2910.

Dean_S

Second Unit
Did you hear that Loewe pulled out of the US market. I recently went to take a second look at the Loewe 55" DPL and was told about the pull out.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I didn't see anything official...just was told verbally by the store owner. I doubt he would lie to me about this since I'm very close with family (not him specifically) and I go to CES every year with them since I no longer work in the industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks