What's new

Locations To Purchase HD/Br DVD's/Players? (1 Viewer)

NateS

Agent
Hey all,

I've been following the threads on Blu-ray/HD-DVD pretty closesly, and I got to wondering about which retailers are going to be even carrying this stuff. Is it going to be any and all from the get-go, or will it be online only? Has there been any word on this?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy will be carrying the Toshiba HD-DVD players, I assume that Circuit City will carry Samsung Blu-Ray players. You can pre-order the HD-DVD Players from both Crutchfield and Amazon right now; no Blu-Ray players up for pre-order yet.

John Milton

Second Unit
Amazon now has a Sony BD player on their site but it's a notification only item thus far, no preorder option yet.

NateS

Agent
I assume that the actual software will be mass available, eventually, but is your typical big-box going to have HD-DVDs on release day?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was considering the Samsung until I heard that the player will limit Blu-ray to 1080i. At least for the first generation players, that may change later. But because the Samsung will not allow 1080p on Blu-ray discs and will show it at HD-DVD 1080i resolutions. I have to say no sale on the Samsung universal hd player.

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen the Samsung, wich is the first BD player due out at tv authority and at least one other online vendor for pre order.
I believe it is 1080i, but definitely not a universal player, and there will likely never be a universal as BD has zero incentive when they have such a huge lead in studio/hardware support as well as the better specs.

alanR

Auditioning
There are many new 1080P tv's.....look in your sunday newspaper ciculars and you will find them....

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Be careful... many 1080p TVs actually have a 1080i input. If a TV doesn't accept 1080p, there is no advantage in getting 1080p output player.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hey Chad R, I was going to say what Stan pretty much covered. Yes there are "1080p" Tvs out there but they only convert internally to display it. They cannot receive a 1080p signal.

So if you have a 1080p TV and a 1080p bluray player you will have to take the 1080p disc, ask the player to interlace it to 1080i, send it to the TV and have the internal scaler/de-interlaser convert it back to 1080p.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Samsung anounced that they would offer a player that would play both blu-ray and hd-dvd discs at CES.

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
Nope , there is absolutely no player that plays both , and that idea was squashed before CES.

Amazon has the Sony BD player listed...but I doubt there taking pre orders yet.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Your sure that Samsung is not making a dual format player. If they chickend out and are only making a single format player. That would suck only because for peope that want to have hd movies. Buying a player that looses the format war would suck. I dont want the Samsung because of it limiting 1080p blu-ray to 1080i.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Who is telling you that Samsung is going to produce a universal player with 1080i-only output? I haven't seen a single piece of news stating anything of the kind, and plenty that says the opposite. So where is this coming from?

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
Guys, guys, guys.

It's absolutely for sure Samsung is NOT making a universal player (at least not yet) due to licensing problem. Also there have NOT been any official report stating that Samsung player will only output 1080i.

All of this fuss and muss over a Samsung product? :b

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Hi Dave, none of those stories [press releases really] say word one about "HD-DVD". They say that Samsung is making a Blu-ray player, which plays back Blu-Ray discs, and we knew that. It also plays back STANDARD DVDs, and we knew that already, too. It also palys back STANDARD CDs, and we knew that already, too.

So what exactly are you trying to say?

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
Circuit City has info at there site saying they will sell the Samsung Blu Ray player, but its not available for pre order at this time, and its 999.00 list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks