What's new

Location of Dish Network Satellites in the sky (1 Viewer)

MarkMF

Auditioning
OK, I just had a major disappointment as the DirectTV installer showed up at my condo and said that I could not get DirectTV because my condo was facing due east. What I would like to know, is if I should even bother with Dish Network.

My condo faces due east, however, I have a walkout balcony and I have a direct line of sight from almost due south sweeping over to the east.

Does dish network have any satellites in the southeastern sky?

When the DirectTV installer was here I pointed to some dishes on the building across the street that were pointed to the south east. He said that they were Dish Network dishes and that the direction they were pointing would only pick up HD programming. Does he know what he is talking about?, or is he just trying to look smart.

Thanks,
Mark

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
yes, if you have a line of site in the south/southeast directon.
basically look in that direction at about a 45 degree angle, if you can see the sky then the installer should(if he's any good) be able to do it. if there was a real problem installation, i would hook up the reciever and a little portable tv next to the dish. I would move the dish around till i got a signal; then i would attach it. most will just say they cant get it and go home

directv has 3 sats; 1 has most of the normal channels,2 of them carry hdtv and the spanish channels. you need the oval dish to get all 3. the round dish will only pick up the one

good luck
grant

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I just checked the Dish Network directions for an Illinios zip code (60056), and the azimuth came out to 217. That's southwest, not southeast, so unless you can get the condo to let you put a dish on the roof, you're probably out of luck with both Dish and DirectTV.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
I have had both (In Iowa) and both were pointing in pretty much the same direction South West

Mike Taylor

Auditioning
DishNetworks "birds" are at 119,110 which are the main core channels and 2 more "birds" one at 61.5 and 148. Which carry some locals and international channels plus HD TV as well.

Sounds like the installer didn't want to do the job.

Mike Taylor

Auditioning
For your area 60056:

For 119,110 is 217 Az 34 El 116 skew

For 61.5 is 144 Az 34 El

For 148 is 250 Az 13 El

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Installer showed up at my house, I showed him where I wanted the dish and he said "no way you can get a signal there". Now this was the easiest location to mount by far so he wasn't just lazy. I thought he was wrong so I told him put it there first, if you cant get a signal THEN we will move it. Guess what, a nice strong signal on all three satellites from the place he said there was "no way" I would get a signal.

So sometimes I think they just don't quite get it as far as where it needs to point and where it "looks".

Mike Taylor

Auditioning
I've seen some dishes pointed at 61.5 and some look like there pointing right into a tree in front of it and still pull in about 95%.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Strong Suggestion: spend the extra money to get either DirectTivo, or the PVR from Dish. These hard-drive personal video recorders make a HUGE difference in your viewing.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Strong Suggestion: spend the extra money to get either DirectTivo, or the PVR from Dish. These hard-drive personal video recorders make a HUGE difference in your viewing.
Agreed... although now I watch more TV than I used to... not too sure that's a good thing... but the flip side is there's almost always something worth watching, at any time, with a PVR...

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks