What's new

'Live Free or Die Hard' Not Unrated on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

When I heard the title I thought, "That's not a movie title, that's a Before and After puzzle on Wheel of Fortune."

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
The reason for the BD having only the PG-13 cut according to The Digital Bits:

...in the Sept. 9 Edition of Home Media Magazine.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Hmm. That Japanese set is what I'm after. I'd prefer the unrated edition of Live Free... on Blu-ray but I don't mind going without if I can get a BD boxset of all four flicks.

Sounds silly I know, but a complete boxset appeals to the collector in me and I can always swap out the PG-13 disc for a later unrated edition (presuming the Jap set comes with the PG-13 version).

One to keep an eye on at YesAsia methinks...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Hmmm. If the set turns out to be close to the price of 1-3 I'll probably pick it up (as long as they don't cancel it). If I don't like 4 there's always Ebay.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Man, Die Hard on BD has been a whirlwind of ups and downs, hasn't it? This latest news is the best yet for me however. Now that they'll be released individually, I can just buy the original, rent Live Free or Die Hard, and be done with it.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I own the first on SD-DVD so there's no need to upgrade. This though, #4 I'll buy the day it streets, unrated or not.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Eh, I'm just going to grab the box set and call it a day. I want those first three and I saw the fourth one twice in the theater, so in the end I am okay with that cut (I doubt I will watch the disc for 'Live Free or Die Hard' more than once or twice again anyway). Besides, has anyone heard what will be in the unrated cut? I mean, we have all seen 'unrated' cuts before that have had additional footage that was tame to say the least.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to point out, that also Japanese "Die Hard Quadrilogy" Blu-ray set includes the "PG-13"-rated version. Our visitor (in Rewind) confirmed that to us (he bought the set).

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I bought this set and loved it.

DH4 apparantly sold 100,000 copies as well but I don't know if that includes the boxset sales.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I can understand why the unrated cut of Live Free or Die Hard was DVD only at the time of the original release. But has the unrated cut really not had a North American Blu-Ray release since? That's a title I would love to upgrade, but I've held onto my DVD copy because it's one of the rare movies where I vastly prefer the unrated cut to the PG-13 cut.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the Nakatomi Plaza megaset includes the unrated version, but I could be misremembering.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can understand why the unrated cut of Live Free or Die Hard was DVD only at the time of the original release. But has the unrated cut really not had a North American Blu-Ray release since? That's a title I would love to upgrade, but I've held onto my DVD copy because it's one of the rare movies where I vastly prefer the unrated cut to the PG-13 cut.
I think the Nakatomi Plaza megaset includes the unrated version, but I could be misremembering.
I may be completely wrong but I'm pretty sure that Nakatomi set is the same discs in an expensive box so there's just the original PG-13 disc of Live Free Or Die Hard.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I may be completely wrong but I'm pretty sure that Nakatomi set is the same discs in an expensive box so there's just the original PG-13 disc of Live Free Or Die Hard.

I had thought that was the one new feature in the set but I could be completely wrong. I lost interest in it when I heard they weren't doing new masters of the early films.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the region-free German set of the films has the unrated version in high-def, but I wanted the "Live Free or Die Hard" American title and not the "Die Hard 4.0" international title.

Fortunately, Vudu has both the PG-13 and the unrated cuts available in HDX, and employing the disc-to-digital upgrade option via VUDU To Go allowed you to choose either version to redeem. I had a backlog of DVDs I was willing to spend $2.50 to own streaming in HDX but not any more to re-purchase on Blu-Ray, so this brought me up to 10 for the half off pricing.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk

No, the "Live Free Or Die Hard" Blu-Ray in the completely absurd Nakatomi Plaza packaging has both the Unrated and the Theatrical versions. I still have the Steelbook DVD with the Unrated version. In fact, I have the DVD box set that has the first three Die Hards in 2-disc sets so that at Christmastime I have the option of watching "Die Hard" with two extra (kinda unfinished) scenes, so I'm pretty far gone.

IMG_3136.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks