What's new

Little Murders - excellent black comedy coming out on June 1st. (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I know not many people have heard of this film, but if you really like your comedies black, I highly recommend picking Little Murders up when it comes out on DVD June 1st, and it's only $9.95 retail!

Made in 1971, Jules Feiffer wrote the script, Alan Arkin directed and it stars Elliot Gould (Donald Sutherland makes a great appearance too). Its not easy describing the plot but it involves a family meeting their daughters boyfriend for the first time while a series of random shootings are occuring in New York . Very, very black and twisted and a stinging comment on violence in society.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
I've heard a lot about it - all good - but I've never seen it. It appears to be coming from Fox, but the $9.95 price tag is surprising. Does anyone know the specs? I'm assuming that there are no supplements, but is it at least OAR?

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting for Little Murders to make it to DVD for quite a while. I've always found it to be brilliant social satire. The price is definitely right, but I, too, hope it's OAR.

Hard to believe that Marcia Rodd and Vincent Gardenia aren't even mentioned on the cover artwork (in favor of Donald Sutherland and Lou Jacobi, who only have cameos):

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Little Murders is a wickedly funny little film. One of those more obscure titles that I've been waiting years for release on DVD. Thanks for the information...I didn't even know it was happening.

"COME AND GET IT!":)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Good and Bad news about this release from DVD Times:

The Good news: The DVD "boasts audio commentary by Jules Feiffer and Elliott Gould, the original theatrical trailer and 2 TV Spots."

The Bad news: "Elliott Gould stars in this black comedy from director Alan Arkin that receives a full screen transfer"

The Fox giveth, the Fox taketh away. I'm terribly disappointed if this info is correct (DVD Times has an excellent track record for accuracy), but since there's very little chance of an OAR re-release for this all-but-forgotten film, I'll likely pick it up. GROAN.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
That's really crappy news Brian. Could Little Murders OAR originally be 1.33:1? That's all I can hope for at the moment, I don't understand why Fox would go through the trouble of recording a commentary and not release it OAR.

Peter Staddon

Stunt Coordinator
Of course it will be a brand new transfer in the correct OAR - don't believe everything you read online!!

Thanks for your interest,

Peter Staddon

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Ah, Peter, I hoped you might chime in on this thread. Thanks for the great news! (which I hope isn't an April Fool's joke ;)).

Kudos to Fox for their recent pricing strategy: Studio Classics titles at $14.98, and now my beloved Little Murders (along with a bevy of other titles) being marketed under $10 retail (with a new transfer and a commentary track to boot!). Columbia TriStar--among others--would do well to follow your lead.

Keep up the great work, Peter!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for clearing that up Peter & thanks for releasing such a wonderful film at such a low price...& with a commentary!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I eagerly await this fine film! Many thanks Peter!! Also thanx for MYRA BRECKENRIDGE. All we need is BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS and I will be a happy man. :D

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting, I had received a copy of this a few days ago but the 20th logo and some of the credits appear misframed with some of the credits hanging off on sides, is this the filmmaker's intention or an error...just wondering..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks