What's new

Little Miss Sunshine (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I gave it a 9.5 of 10 and right now that's good for #1 on my 2006 list, though its still only at 19 films and Oscar season is yet to start.

I'm not sure anyone else really has an Oscar shot, but I think Arkin is a very legit candidate for one of the Best Supporting noms.

Carrell has now pulled off 2 comedic roles with very understated efforts. Pretty impressive, quite the opposite of what you would expect from his prior bit part and TV work.

I compared the humor/drama mix to that of Sideways, which I suppose makes its Oscar chances pretty solid considering the rest of the summer Oscar competition.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
This is my favorite of the year so far too.

The mix of drama and comedy is really exquisite here. Compare it to something like The Family Stone, and you can see how this film is both funnier and less pandering to the audience. It somehow retains both real life hardship and hopefulness, whereas Family Stone just wipes out the difficulties of relationships and presents a rosey picture.

I also agree Greg Kinnear is very good in this role. This is not one of those reacting roles where the actor cruises through. He constructs a small time character, something he did in the Madator and Stuck on You as well, that makes him pathetic and sympathetic at the same time.

And the movie is very, very funny, too. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific little film. Excellent performances across the board. Definitely will pick up a nom for original screenplay.

**possible spoiler**
Btw, how "creepy" were those little girls in the pageant. Compared to Olive, they were frighteningly fake. Loved her "pole" dance and how it ridiculed the whole pageant. I was sorta expecting a routine that would blow the other girls out of the water and was happy to see the filmmakers go the extreme other way. kudos!:emoji_thumbsup:

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Last week, I went back and saw it again (the first time since the free screening; I've been short on cash the past few weeks). This film got even better on the second viewing. It's very, very funny. Everyone in the main cast gives one of the best performances of their careers, and the music is beautiful to hear. It compliments the film brilliantly. It's the movie of the year if you ask me.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
The movie was also better for me on the second viewing.

Tino, I thought the pageant scene was the only part of the movie where it didn't work as well as it should've, it just didn't feel real enough: the contrast between Olive and the other contestants, the main judge, the tough guy, the host, and the family dance.

~T

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thi, how are you man?

The only part I didn't like was the dead body removal scene. Very cliche' and too slapstick.

Loved the ending though.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Tino, I am fine. How are you?

I loved the dead body removal scene. I thought it's tone matched what preceded it, but the tone of most of the pageant was off.

~T

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've got to disagree. I agree that there is certainly plenty of meloncholy in this film, and plenty of serious content. But I'm a silent laughter, and this movie had me howling out loud with laughter at times.
Much of the laughs benefit from being well-earned through careful yet classic setups. The cop scene wouldn't have been half as funny if the movie hadn't arrived at it exactly the way it did.
I loved Greg Kinnear's facial expressions watching the freakshow of all these sexed-up grade schoolers. I think he was really an outlet for the discomfort all of us in the audience were feeling at that point.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Couldn't agree more H. Well said. Rented this one 2nite. Like it & enjoyed the way the characters were represented. My expectations were much different. I stayed away from this thread trying to avoid reading too much prior....but I thought it would be different. Still, that doesn't seem fair to rate it lower for that. A good, solid, different film that has some great moments.

Loved the final 45 minutes for sure.

8/10

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Got in a second viewing late yesterday.

Much, much more enjoyable this time. Perhaps hype & expectations played a part in some of my minor misgivings back in December....and I was kind of creeped out some at times.

Regardless, this is one of the year's best without a doubt. There's just so much going on that I caught this time too. Really got to get involved more with the characters.

Greg Kinnear is simply awesome in this. Maybe his best performance, although he is excellent in As Good As It Gets. Actually, everyone is rather good. :)

Even the VW bus played a great part. Enjoyed the score too.

Bizarre, creepy, funny, touching, sweet, & shocking all in one. :)

Rating bumped up to a solid 9/10.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Those other kids in the pageant are actual beauty pageant kids, with their real parents. Now that's creepy.

Fantastic film. About as good as this type of movie can get, in my opinion.

Regards,
Nathan

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
Finally got around to this film in our Netfilx queue tonight. Loved it. Did anyone else notice that the location for the pool scene where Kinnear was confronting the publishing agent was the same location (I think) as the pool scene from National Lampoon's Vacation? The lone woman in the pool gives it away. If not the same location it at least appears to be a nod to the predecessor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks