What's new

Little House on the Prairie: Pilot, Season 1, and Season 2 are all in July! (1 Viewer)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Does this include the episode with that sadistic teacher Mr. Applewood? That guy rocked! :laugh:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I went to Best Buy today, but they still didn't have season 2. Hopefully, they'll put it on the shelves tomorrow. The returns people said all I need is my original receipt for season 1, and they will honor the deal. That's great, but it'll only work if they actually get it in stock. She said I could get the deal for 30 days, but I'm a little dubious about that. I imagine if they finally get season 2 half a month from now when that promotion is long since over, I'll be out of luck.

Does this include the episode with that sadistic teacher Mr. Applewood? That guy rocked!
Yes, that episode is in the season 2 set.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I'm gonna stop in best buy tomorrow to pick them up. Hopefully they have the pilot episode aswell. Is everyone that is buying s1/s2 gonna collect this show through s9 if they release them all ? just curious :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I plan to. I liked both seasons 8 and 9. There are some really good episodes in season 8, such as the Christmas retrospective and the season closer (granted, it was a reworking of a Bonanza script, but it was good). And, I even liked the Carters.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
it is an awful shame that the theme has been cut (except once a disc) and replaced
with the generic version.
I can well remember that title card announcing "In the town" over the last bars of the opening credits... and the cast members we would see in that ep...whether it was Miss Beadle, or Lars Hanson, or which of the Olesons.
That ought to have been retained.

Also (nitpick nitpick) although the theme song
was essentially the same, several seasons used
a different orchestral arrangement of the song,
the first year was even in a different key.

But, i'm probably the only person who this
stuff would bother.
LOL.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I would have liked the opening credits to be on every episode aswell. So you get the opening theme before the first episode on each disc? is that how it works? I guess i will find out tomorrow when i buy these.

There also seems to be conflicting reports from online etailers as to the actual street date of these sets. Dvdempire for instance says 7/29.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
But, i'm probably the only person who this
stuff would bother.
LOL.
Not really, but what are you going to do? If it were a major outfit like Paramount or Fox, it would probably be unacceptable, but I look at this as the first major release from a tiny company. Overall, the main things--picture and sound quality, mostly uncut episodes--were done right. Just to list some of the downsides to these sets:

[*]No chapter stops[*]No subtitles[*]Generic opening theme, once per disc[*]Two-hour episode presented as two single episodes[/list]

Ben_D

Agent
I'm bothered by the lack of themes, also....especially since, as Jefferson said, I like noting how the theme (subtly) changes over the years. This way, the guest cast aren't even credited. You just have to know who Ernest Borgnine and Patricia Neal are....

But, having had the sets for almost two weeks, I have been mostly thrilled with them. I haven't seen these episodes in years. And if all nine seasons are released, I'd buy 'em all. I hate the Shannen Doherty year, but there are about five episodes from that season I did really like.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
It is also interesting that this thread seems to be mainly men who are interested in little house. which is a good thing.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I suppose I'll find out soon enough, but does anyone remember what carol is played throughout the first Christmas episode? I was thinking it was Good Christian Men Rejoice, but now I have reason to believe it's While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks. Either way, it goes a long way towards making it one of my favorite Christmas episodes of any show.

I just hope they were able to clear the music rights. :D

^^

I joke, in case you can't tell. ;)

BTW, I watched the Love of Johnny Johnson last night, and it was somewhat humorous that Pa played the Little House closing theme on his fiddle.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've got to say, for some reason, the quality really took a nosedive on the second episode on disc 2. Very dull, with a little jumpiness in some scenes. I just watched a little of the third episode, and it looked much the same.

On the bright side, it looked about like it does in syndication. But, the five episodes preceding these looked much better.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
There also seems to be conflicting reports from online etailers as to the actual street date of these sets. Dvdempire for instance says 7/29.
7/8 is the date provided by the distributer.

Are there any other examples besides DVDEmpire? Otherwise, I would say that someone there made a mistake, or else decided on purpose to display a date that reflected availability at DVDEmpire instead of the actual street date (Amazon often does this, and in the shoes of an e-tailer I would do the same if I couldn't get it on street date...perhaps because I ordered it late or something).

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy had them in this week's ad. It seems to be today. We'll know for sure in a few hours when they open, I suppose.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was able to get them to give me the $20 off deal with just my receipt, so I'm in the catbird seat. Thanks, David. No way I would have thought to check for a deal on these if you hadn't given the heads up.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
well i picked up s1 and s2 at best buy. no luck finding the pilot by goldhil there. They did have the older dvd of the premiere movie/pilot by goodtimes. I wonder how the quality is between both versions. Does anyone think i'm allrite with the goodtimes one or should i wait and get the goldhil elsewhere ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.