What's new

Little House on the Prairie: Pilot, Season 1, and Season 2 are all in July! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Canadian producer ImaVision Direct, who licensed this property from NBC, has made a deal with Goldhil Home Media to distribute their DVDs of the "Special 30th Anniversary Edition" of Little House on the Prairie.

Streeting on July 8th, the 1-disc Pilot episode ($14.98 SRP) and the 6-disc-each Season 1 and Season 2 sets ($49.98 SRP each) will each be available at retail.

Goldhil says that "These Special Collector's Editions have been restored using state-of-the-art color correction, picture enhancement and noise reduction technologies!"

Character profiles, trivia quiz, and a photo album will be part of the supplements on each of the season sets.

Read here for complete information. Enjoy!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Great news...a beloved series that shows what tv can offer in terms of quality!

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to this! The series as it's been shown on PAX is so faded. Mom and I will enjoy this for years to come! ;)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Although Goldhil isn't the first name that comes to mind when I think of quality TV on DVD (a *lot* of exercise videos and those cheap animated knock-off movies from this company), I'm eager to see how this goes and am looking forward to this series on DVD. It has one of the best theme songs, too, by David Rose.

Now, bring on The Waltons!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Humph! Country girls!
:laugh:

(And i thought i was the only one who knew these lines)
Seems like i have a "harvest of friends"
here to help me with "bringing in the sheaves"
with these season sets.
If they continue i'll get to
hear Harriet Oleson call out,
"ZALDAMO!!!!"
:D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I am so there! Thanks for keeping us updated, David!

I don't know Goldhil from Adam Kendall, but I hope this title is a quality exception for them.

David, given that you said they would be available at retail, I assume that means I can expect to walk into my local Best Buy and find these? From your experience, what would you say the BB price will be about?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I expect these to be in Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, etc.

With a $49.98 list price, expect first-week sale prices to hit around $39.99; as for BB's everyday price: Simpsons S3 lists for $49.98, and BB's plans to sell it for an everyday price of $44.99.

I wonder if it would even BE the subject of a first-week sale price? If it were hitting around a family-type holiday, then I could see it being the focus of a sale flyer. But July 8 is in the middle of summer, and right after the Independance Day weekend. And if the company were a big-name studio, I could see them "buying" (w/co-op marketing dollars) the ad space to promote the product more, but I doubt Goldhil does any of that, honestly. That may also mean we don't see it in the discount club stores.

I expect Wal-Mart will be our savior here. It's the kind of family fare that's right up their alley, and I think they already deal with Goldhil. So keep an eye on them come that Tuesday morning.

Jim-M

Second Unit
With a $49.98 list price, expect first-week sale prices to hit around $39.99; as for BB's everyday price: Simpsons S3 lists for $49.98, and BB's plans to sell it for an everyday price of $44.99.
I just checked DeepDiscountDVD.com and they have the new Little House sets available for pre-order for $29.99. I've already got the Dr. Quinn set pre-ordered from them because the price was so much lower than anyone else and it looks like they'll be the source for these too if we decide to get them.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure I'll be picking the first season up when it comes out, especially at only $30. Now I just need to wait for "Highway to Heaven" season sets to come out to complete my Michael Landon TV collection.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Great news David ! I will be getting the pilot for sure, the season sets will have to wait since july and august are overloaded with too many must buys, not to mention saved by the bell seasons in september !

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]I GOT MY COPIES![/rant]

Well, of S1 and S2. The street date breaker I purchased them from tonight had them for $39.99 each. The single-disc releases were not there yet. They had a whole shelf dedicated to these, though. My wife thought buying these was the coolest, BEST thing to happen today.

I know you're wondering what the video quality is. Okay, it's good. Not great, but good. Average or slightly above. Colors are what they should be: nice and even tones. Scratch-and-dirt artifacts are visible; moreso in the opening credits than during the episodes, but they show up there as well. Some graininess that was probably a result of the recording method, no real compression problems. But there are some motion blurring in places, and every once in a while the contrast doesn't look quite right.

On the whole, though, I'm please to say that I'm being picky. Quite watchable, sounds great (just like broadcast audio), and the extras - while sparse - are cool enough.

The package is quite handsome, inside and out. Publicity photos are used inside the fold-out digipack to advantage, and look VERY nice. Disc art is wonderful. Kudos to the people who designed this box. The outer slipcover is a bit thin and fragile-seeming; that's my only complaint about the box.

The center page of the collectable booklet which is in each season set says at the bottom that Season 3 and 4 six-disc sets are "Coming Soon", along with two more single-disc releases (the titles were named but I've put it away). No date was given, though.

Enough for now. I've skimmed each disc from both season sets, and watched the whole episode "Four Eyes". Nice. Recommended...especially for $39.99; it's cheaper than I "knew" it would be at this store. That's your last hint on where it was found.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Better in every way! Video here is a C+ to a B+, depending on each episode.

Goodtimes video was never better than a C, with it often heading to D/D- range, and even slipping to F on an occassion or two.

You get entire seasons at a great price, so there's no arguement based on bucks. And Goodtimes releases had no extras, and something - however sparse - is better than that, right?

If that doesn't answer your question, then be more specific. What else can I say but repeat "recommended". I plan to upgrade my Goodtimes copy of The Pilot to the Goldhil/ImaVision one.

BTW, ImaVision's name is all over this. Goldhil is distributing, but you won't see their name on it. NBC is the only other logo, on the box OR during the disc startup.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This show has long looked bad on broadcast, so hopefully the sets will beat what I'm used to. I really don't want to be spending $80 right now, but it's going to be hard to resist. I have to at least get the first season when I find it. :)

Now, it's time for me to find the other part of the pirate's treasure map. Maybe I'll be able to get this tomorrow if X marks the spot I think it does. ;) :D

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
What is the running time on the episodes...someone said that they are the edited syndicated versions.

Users who are viewing this thread