What's new

Lists of Blu-ray & HD DVD Titles (Scheduled, Announced, Rumored, Wish List) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Reminds me of 1997. exciting to see all the new announced titles. Yet at that time, I was still collecting the laserdiscs of current releases to then replace them with the DVD versions. :)

I hope to see the Star Trek franchise as well as what the Bond Franchise will look like after Lowes efforts.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder, the packaging is for display purposes only, and that it is still subject to change. Each of those "cases" is empty (the discs have not been pressed yet), and the covers are simply copies from existing DVD releases, slightly modified to fit the display cases.

My understanding is that the BDA is still considering alternative case styles, and expect that the studios will produce alternative cover designs to distinguish them from the older releases, just as they do with most updated new releases on standard DVD.

paul:hillsdon

Stunt Coordinator
WARNER HOME VIDEO ANNOUNCES TITLES FOR BLU-RAY HIGH DEFINITION FORMAT

BURBANK, California (Jan. 5, 2006) - Warner Home Video (WHV), which distributes the largest film library of any studio, announced today at CES 2006 the company's plans to release 15 titles on the Blu-ray high definition disc format. The initial films named represent a combination of recent hits and catalog favorites.

Warner Bros. titles released in conjunction with the expected U.S. availability of Blu-ray movie players will include key fourth quarter 2005 blockbusters Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Dukes of Hazzard as well as classics such as The Matrix, Twister and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. For a list of titles planned to be released on Blu-ray, please see below.

"Warner Bros. is committed to providing movie fans with as many viewing options as possible. We are pleased to be a part of the launch of the high definition Blu-ray format," said Ron Sanders, President, Warner Home Video. "Consumers now expect cinema quality on their home systems and providing our titles in high definition will help create an unparalleled viewing experience."

Today, the vast Warner Bros. library, considered one of the most prestigious and prodigious in the world, consists of more than 6,600 feature films, 40,000 television titles and 14,000 animated titles (including over 1,500 classic animated shorts). The library currently consists of films from such distinguished banners as Warner Bros. Pictures, Castle Rock, Warner Independent Pictures, Lorimar Pictures, RKO and classic MGM (pre-1986).

About Warner Home Video
With operations in 89 international territories, Warner Home Video commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment Company, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

PLANNED WARNER HOME VIDEO – BLU-RAY TITLES
Batman Begins
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
Constantine
The Dukes of Hazzard
The Last Samurai
Lethal Weapon
The Matrix
Million Dollar Baby
Oceans 12
Swordfish
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Training Day
Troy
Twister
Unforgiven

--------------------------------------------------------------

BUENA VISTA HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES LINE-UP OF BLU-RAY DISC TITLES

First titles to include Kill Bill: Vol. 1, Dinosaur, Hero and others

Burbank, CA, 1/4/2006 – Buena Vista Home Entertainment (BVHE) president Bob Chapek today announced that BVHE will begin releasing titles beginning summer of 2006 on the Blu-ray Disc format in conjunction with the hardware manufacturer's release of Blu-ray Disc products. Titles will include Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: Vol. 1; award-winning Hero; Dark Water starring Jennifer Connelly; Ladder 49 starring John Travolta and Joaquin Phoenix; The Brothers Grimm starring Matt Damon and Heath Ledger; The Great Raid starring Benjamin Bratt; Armageddon directed by Michael Bay and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer; Kevin Smith's Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back; Walt Disney Pictures' Dinosaur; and the documentary Everest narrated by Liam Neeson. These ten titles mark the first wave of an ongoing release strategy from BVHE which will support the Blu-ray format.

Commenting on the announcement, Chapek stated, "The Blu-ray Disc represents a major technological advance in our industry, and just as DVD revolutionized home entertainment, the Blu-ray Disc promises to be the next step in our ability to satiate the consumer's appetite for entertainment by providing the ultimate user experience. The possibilities are endless and we've just begun to bridge the future of digital entertainment."

Blu-ray Disc is the next generation home entertainment medium featuring storage capacity 5 times greater than current DVDs, a picture compressed and authored in full high-definition 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080) and lossless audio (bit-for-bit directly from the sound stage) allowing for the first time a pristine digital audio and video home entertainment experience equal or superior to theatrical feature presentations. In addition to film, the Blu-ray Disc will also support music, gaming and other digital entertainment.

At launch, BVHE's Blu-ray titles will feature seamless, high resolution overlay pop-up menus which will allow for a first-time-ever continuous movie play experience; dynamic and unparalleled, high-definition picture; up to 7.1 channels of surround sound; new layering coating technology which provides a scratch resistance surface; and new sleek packaging. Other Disney Blu-ray feature technologies being developed include unparalleled interactive features; simultaneous on-screen chapter selection; and compelling online content, including web connectivity, which will allow users to connect to live events hosted by the studio and more.

Chapek added, "We are in an era where the consumer has growing control over the delivery of their entertainment choices. Blu-ray Disc represents a significant change in the digital landscape and how the consumer not only views but interacts with their choices."

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
what i want to know is, and hopefully HTF will have a chat in the next couple of months where this can be asked, when will we start to see new remastered SE editions of catalog titles being released day and date on Bd?
i'm more interested in seeing things like The Searchers, Body Heat, All The Presidents Men, Wild Bunch, Network, Forbidden Planet etc than anything from the announced first wave here (with the exception of things like North x Northwest or Music Man which appear to be HD DVD exclusives for now).

as much as i've been craving a decent copy of the Searchers to play in my HT, i won't be buying a dvd with the thought in the back of my head that an HD version is likely to show up within 12 months. and from here on out, that's exactly what i'm going to be thinking with every new catalog announcement.

i also have to wonder if Warner is going to skew the 'vintage' catalog titles to HD DVD rather than Bd for marketing purposes. the thought process being that the greater % of installed players on the Bd side are going to be owned by gamers who have less of a vested interest in vintage catalog material, whereas on the other side, anyone with HD DVD capability will have only a set top player and therefore would be considered more of a movie buff?
and of course the need for some kind of exclusivity to justify what looks to be a dead in the water format.

if that looks like the case, i may just be picking up a cheaper toshiba player this year after all.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
There's not many titles I see that I don't own that I'd want or that I own on DVD that would merit an upgrade. I just want the damn things to come out already so I can see how the component video is output. :angry:

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

This is interesting. Apparently Chicken Little is seen on the Blu-Ray wall yet was not in there list of announced titles. While I am no fan of Chicken Little this gets my excitment up that there will be more Blu-Ray titles from Disney as well as Fox. New Line still hasn't announced any titles for the formats yet. We could get alot more titles to look forward to before the week is up.

Jeff_Roy

Auditioning
Sorry if this is an old question, but does Universal have any plans (rumored) to support both formats, or is it looking to be exclusively HD-DVD? Wouldn't that make it the only studio NOT on both formats if they didn't back BRD?

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Just curious but have they annouced the Special Features on any of those discs? The way I see them doing it is releasing a bare bones edition that will set everyone up for a triple dip or something.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

No specific extras have been announced. Disney confirmed that the all there discs will have 1080p, lossless audio, and extras. Exactly what those extras are are unknown. Sony discs are unlikely to be extra heavy since there unfortunite descign to use MPEG-2 would leave little room full proper quality much less that and extras.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Disney really ought to stir up interest in Blu-Ray by releasing this year's 2 platinum titles in the format.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Disney waited many years to release there really classic titles on both DVD and VHS. I don't predict that you will see Platinum Disney titles on Blu-Ray for a while.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to have to give my old mates at IGN some grief for that out of focus picture.

Anyone know if Master & Commander is planned for BR?

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
You and me both.

Am I correct in my understanding that the component downrez to SD option is something that CAN be utilized on a disc by disc basis via a flag of some sort but does NOT NECESSARILY have to be turned on? I thought I had read, for example, that Fox and Disney had both committed to allowing their forthcoming titles to be watched in full HD via analog.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
BD allows for the studio to decide HDMI only for HD or analog.
Disney HD on analog?
That surprises me!!! :-o :)

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
The "no high-def component outs AT ALL" on HD DVD is a matter of policy; it is not a technological deficiency and could conceivably be changed, if relationships or contracts with, say, Warner Bros. should change. Of course, if you already have a player with the limitation, you might be SOL unless the change can be made with a firmware upgrade.

Blu-ray has chosen, at this point, to permit high-def over component as long as the studio permits it. HD DVD has apparently not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks