What's new

Lists of Blu-ray & HD DVD Titles (Scheduled, Announced, Rumored, Wish List) (1 Viewer)

RaymondSteiner

Stunt Coordinator
Blu-ray discs i'm interested (from Juan C List):

Sony/MGM
The Fifth Element (in multichannel uncompressed audio)
House of Flying Daggers
Kung Fu Hustle
Robocop

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the Sony DVP-S7000 back in the day and almost 9 years later it is still as brilliant as it was the day I set it up~~~ It's never so much as choked on a disc and the build quality by today's standards is exceptional. With the exception of the DVP-S3000 and the DVP-S7700, Sony has built nothing like it since. Because of that I fully intend to purchase a Sony BDP-S1 as soon as possible. $1500 may seem like a lot of money, but if I can get 8-9 years out of it like I did my DVP-S7000, it would be a wonderful bargain.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wow: I had story issues with Jarhead but--as usual--Roger Deakins' lensing was wicked. That desert lit up at night by burning oil could look amazing in hi def.

-p

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator

To bad its the wrong format. I do believe the Matrix will also be avalible on Blu-Ray before years out so its better to wait. We have to work together to kill HD-DVD as fast as we can. There is a question of whether Warner will release the same titles on both formats like Paramount or if they will favor HD-DVD in there selection. So far the only confirmed Warner Blu-Ray title is Troy. I am sure there will be a list before the weekends out.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's a thread on the AVS Forum where they list many similar titles. Some 70 titles.

AVS Forum Blu Ray disc titles

What I'm curious about is release dates and what hardware needs will be. Assuming it's just a pricey new player. Plus, I hadn't realized that they are still doing both HD-DVD and Blu Ray still.

The Fifth Element is described as having uncompressed audio. That should be interesting to demo.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Speaking of uncompressed audio - that is my biggest concern.

I'm buying into HD Blu-Ray on the basis of getting the best PICTURE & SOUND. The hardware and software press releases are giving the impression of 1080p on Blu-Ray (HD-DVD @ 1080i) but there is no word about lossless audio except for two Sony titles. It seems that us audiophiles may have to accept lossless audio for this first batch of movies out of the gate with later titles using lossless audio.

Maybe this will change over the next few months before Blu-Ray gets all of its final ducks in row...and it'll be interesting to hear the buzz of the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio at CES and what films, if any, will have this on the first batch of HD titles.

Given that the HD disc formats are clearly intended for the matured home theater market that DVD helped create, I'm asking the studios to make sure all of their titles' soundtracks are re-equalized or better yet, re-purposed for home theater playback. As I've mentioned in several of my DVD reviews, the movie theater mixes are far too aggressive at all frequencies and in loudness of sound effects. I'm looking forward to improvements...as there is always room for some :)

Mike

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That's your opinion, but I daresay it's not shared by a lot of videophiles. There are a LOT of people who WANT the agressive mixes and very wide dynamic range. There's no doubt in my mind that they would complain like hell if such soundtracks were "tamed", and they would immediately make unfavorable comparisons to the "glory days" of LD, DTS, etc.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
{Don't know where to post this in the numerous threads & areas.:rolleyes}

Any news out of CES if the Blu-Ray (prototype) players have the ability to output SPDIF audio for compatibility with current consumer equipment?

Paul

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Paul,

That's never been in question. You'll be able to get a standard DD or DTS feed off SPDIF-- possibly better, in fact, as the Blu-ray specs allow for a higher DD bitrate (640 kbps) than DVD had, and your equipment will be able to decode this.

You won't be able to get lossless over SPDIF, but then again your receiver wouldn't know how to decode it anyway.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Dolby is demoing TrueHD as well. Much more efficient, more options, and now includes the "downconvert" option to 640Kbps Dolby Digital.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, do you want it half-assed or done well?
A mere carry over of the Superbit version?

It's coming, don't worry. Sony has been using it as a Blu-ray DEMO for industry types for some time now (read Ron's Blu-ray Day)!

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
Who was it who had a problem with the packaging? Just looks like Amaray with a blue bar - seems pretty straight forward to me. Thanks for the pic, Juan, wish I was there.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, thanks Juan.

With the caveat that just because it's pictured doesn't mean it's going to be released soon, it's terrif to at least see pictured films that never even got anamorphic transfers on standard def, such as Crimson Tide and Armageddon.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks