What's new

Listening to Audio CD's .... Analog vs Digital (1 Viewer)

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
I own a Yamaha reciever, and the Nad player was hooked up to a Nad reciever, so I didnt get to hear it on my reciever, but I have done other comparisons with the same reciever/different cd and dvd players, and I have found that the cd player usually sounds better. And it was through a Optical cable.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
And, like always, be sure to level-balance your two sources, preferably with a SPL meter! (The difference in volume can be rather significant or very slight, but in either case can really disrupt your perceptions.)

FWIW, I prefer listening to CDs via the (pure) analog connections from my Sony C555ES to my Outlaw 1050 receiver. Coax digital sounds good, too, but very slightly veiled in comparison. Leading edges sound more precise via analog, and the decay is much more natural. Overall, it's a much more natural and engaging sound.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
And I belive what Rich just said prooves two things, no, make that three.

1.) We cannot legitmately confirm that DVD players sound worse than CD players through Analog, or digital, without doubleblind, controlled tests, free of additional variables. The placebo effect applies to more than just pills, and it is more than probable that any individual setting out to do tests on thier own will suffer it's effects.

2.) Whether Digital or analog connections sound better is to some degree a personal preference.

3.) Whether digital or analog connection sound better also depends on what equipment one is using. Even with high quality equipment one cannot be garentted that the sounds character will be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks