What's new

List of speaker brands? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but they didn't have quite the same "get those freaking things out of my living room before I sue for divorce" vibe.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I'd add to that list; Dynaudio, Revel, & Triad very high on the list. Also: Meridian, Focal, Monitor Audio, NHT.

My favorites are Dynaudio, Revel, Onix Reference, Paradigm.

I own Dynaudios and Paradigms, so I have some bias there.

For real speakers you basically need to get out of the chain stores and big-box stores which sell crappy stuff.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I think ascend will paint speakers for a fee. I have the basicl black ones but they really do sound great. I know the greatest limitation in my system is the room they are in and not the speakers.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Could you narrow the choice a bit more by telling us about the rest of your system and some idea of budget?

"Are you having a laugh?"

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

The old WAF, Wife Acceptance Factor. I would suggest you take your wife when you audition speakers. Let her be a part of the decision-making process. If you find a non-silver colored speaker you like, first take your wife to a store that sells the worst sounding silver speaker you can find and then let your wife compare that to the better sounding speaker you like. We have to be a little sneaky to get our way sometime.

Brian D H

Second Unit

:D Pretty funny and clever, but....

That could back-fire. What do you do if your wife is tone-deaf and likes the bad-sounding silver speaker? Then you're stuck with bad speakers and a wife you don't respect.

Play it safe and only audition speakers with her that you'd be happy with.

barneygumble

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
Alright,

I'm starting small since I currently live in an apartment.

The receiver I want is the Onkyo TX-SR603XS.

The system will be used 50/50 music and movies.

I am starting with two speakers, form factor doesn't matter to me, I want good soundstage. I want to spend no more than $300 on the first two speakers. Next will be the sub, center and finally 2 rear speakers (5.1). When I buy a house this system will be hooked up to my computer and I will do a new build for the home theater so I don't want to spend too much money. The room size this will go in is 16'x18'.

I know it would be cheaper to buy in a complete 5.1 set, but before I buy an entire set I want to make sure this is something i'm in to.

I'm also thinking about initially getting two bookshelf speakers and moving them to rear speakers if I get some towers in the future.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Oh, one more thing for the receiver, I have a 480p 42" plasma so I assume component video is all I need correct? Do I have any need for HDMI? My current dvd player only has component.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Most people will opine that bookshelf speakers need a subwoofer--the smaller cabinet means that the lowest octaves cannot be produced. But subwoofers cost money.

For $300, you can get a pair of B&W DM303s. Great little speaker. . Excellent sound stage. Lacks bass though. It's doubtful that it comes in silver.

barneygumble

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
No worries, the sub will be the next purchase after the first two speakers. And, at this point, I'm not too worried about the color, function over form.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks