What's new

List of short-lived/canceled series on DVD ? (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
I was thinking about "Keen Eddie", "Harsh Realm" and "Freaks and Geeks". All were shows that were canceled without completing their first season, but were released on DVD anyway.

There are two shows that I'd love to have on DVD: "Now and Again" and "Jake 2.0". They were similar shows, about guys who suffered serious accidents then were "rebuilt" to become secret government agents (like "The Six Million Dollar Man".)

"Now and Again" ran for one full season that ended with a cliff-hanger, but was not renewed for a second season. (At least I have the script for the unfilmed conlusion.)

"Jake 2.0" was canceled after only twelve episodes, with four that were filmed but not broadcast. (The last broadcast episode guest-starred Lee Majors of "The Six Million Dollar Man".)

What are some other shows that have been released on DVD that were canceled during their first seasons? Or shows that may have run longer than one season, but were canceled later, without any sort of finale or satisfactory conclusion.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
IIRC, the title of that thread isn't remotely similar to yours. Sorry, I can't remember what the title was, maybe you'll have to "manually" read the titles of all TV software threads of the past month or two?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
"The Young Ones" and the live-action "The Tick" qualify. "Undeclared" is another one that's forthcoming. But the one I'd really like to own is "Square Pegs". C'mon, Columbia!

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
The Tick was awsome! I can't wait for Greg The Bunny.

To add something to the thread, Wonderfalls is coming up. Gonna be good to see all of those eps.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I would love to hear how it was resolved. Since this show airs on Scifi once and a while. I wished Scifi would have done a conclusion movie.(But, thats another subject.)

I also agree with Jake 2.0. I do know that the other 4 unaired episodes did air in Europe and elsewhere.

I would want to add Special Unit 2.

ScottCor

Stunt Coordinator
Brought this over from my post on the obscure thread..

1."My Life and Times" (1991) only ran 6 episodes with Helen Hunt. I thought it was a great show.I would buyit even for the 6.

2. "Nowhere Man" (1995) 1 season ,and would buy it in a second, quality TV...on UPN at the time and quality was a bad word.

3. "Midnight Caller" (1988) 61 episodes...Oh please..please!!

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The "Planet Of The Apes" TV series (1973), which only lasted 14 episodes (1 unaired during the original run) also falls into this category. As does the one-season classic "Battlestar Galactica" (1978).

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
"The Young Ones" ran two seasons. They were just six episode seasons on the BBC. It's not uncommon for popular BBC shows to have few episodes. "Fawlty Towers" was one of teh most popular shows on the BBC and it only had 12 episodes!

"The Ben Stiller Show" definitely qualifies. I'd throw "Invader Zim" in too although it was too sporadic seasons.

I really want "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" but so far have heard nothing.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I know for many people the world didn't begin until 6 years ago and I'm happy for those of you who actually care about these new shows that you are getting them released. But what about:

Way Out - 14 episodes
Coronet Blue - 13 episodes
T.H.E. Cat - 26 episodes
He and She - 26 episodes
Captain Nice - 15 episodes
Sons and Daughters - 10 episodes

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That's not fair to say that for them the world began "6 years ago," especially if they were born in 1998.

Short-lived shows from 40 or 50 years ago are seldom remembered, but others are fresher in people's minds.

That being said, my mom would probably like to see "My World and Welcome To It" again on disc.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Released but not mentioned in thread yet:

My Big Fat Greek Life (stupid)
Dilbert
My So-Called Life
The Critic

I was one of the few who tuned into ABC Friday nights a couple years ago to see That Was Then. I loved that show and then all of a sudden, it was gone from the lineup -- replaced by repeats of America's Funniest Home Videos. I felt cheated because every episode was a cliffhanger. I heard some of the unaired eps wound up being broadcast on ABC Family, but I don't know how many ever aired or were produced (probably 4 or 5). I would be willing to invest in the complete series, but I doubt anything related to the show will ever surface again. Too bad because I had heard that an ABC exec with major pull liked it and wanted to bring it back mid-season or summer and give it a second chance. Guess that didn't pan out.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Sledge Hammer lasted two seasons and 1 is on DVD.
The Ropers and Three's a Crowd seem DVD bound. The Jetsons only lasted 1 Season, originally anyway, and it is on DVD. Top Cat had one Season and it is coming. Fractured Flickers was short and it is on DVD.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
With Harsh Realm released, I can only hope to see my other Fox Faves come out soon:

Freakylinks
NightVisions
Lone Gunmen - PLEASE, OH PLEASE!

Pitts, The - I like it, sorry.
Oliver Beene - Canceled?

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks