What's new

List of Paramount catalog titles for Oct - Dec. (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
ONCE UPON A TIME.....check
DRAGONSLAYER check
HUD check

hmmmmmm

now, if Paramount would only release CRACK IN THE WORLD as a tie-in with THE CORE, life would be good:)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Pretty Baby" is actually a film worth putting out on DVD!

But "Lipstick"??????????????????

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
From what I've seen, every >televised< edition of GATSBY, including on AMC, is the original (the tipoff is in the opening titles, when Irving Berlin's "What'll I Do?" is sung). For some reason the video music rights must have proved a bust because 99% of the score on VHS was replaced with generic elevator music that absolutely killed the whole film. Putting a disclaimer on the box didn't help matters any. Broadcast prints were left alone. This is an absolutely vital issue I hope Paramount has cleared up. Think of THE GODFATHER without its original music and you get an idea how utterly necessary the original, intended score is to maintain the integrity of the production!!!

On another note, yes, as much as 20 minutes of scenes were dropped from GATSBY before it was released--character actor Tom Ewell had a role during the party scenes, and Gatsby's father had longer scenes. This is a movie that should be accorded a reasonable amount of respect for its DVD edition!

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Great list, but when is Paramount going to release "Looking For Mr Goodbar" and "Lady Sings The Blues" (hopefully with a commentary by Sidney J. Furie and a new surround track, the re-mastered LD was mono :frowning: )?

And speaking of "Pretty Baby" a commentary by Brooke Shields and Susan Sarandon would be very interesting to hear, to say the least (Brooke's commentary on "The Blue Lagoon" was well worth the disc).

Jodee

Screenwriter
I'd like to hear Polly Platt do a commentary on Pretty Baby, especially since Louis Malle is no longer with us.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Lady Sings the Blues" has been put on the shelf -according to Martin, there are major music rights issues. But they tried :emoji_thumbsup:

Irving Berling has given most of the studios grief when it came to releasing his music on home video (Or maybe it was the other way around).

"Annie Get Your Gun" was helded up from televised/Home video viewings for over 25 years. "Call Me Madam" still hasn't found it's way to Home video (although I hear this may be coming next year) in spite of standards as "You're Just in Love" and "It's Lovely Day Today"

It's no wonder "The Great Gatsby" was released without Berlin's music. But since his death, his estate seems to be more cooperative. It is possible a restored "Gatsby" could come out (Maybe Redford will do a comentary"

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Glad to get HUD and Once Upon A Time, just disappointed Miracle Of Morgan's Creek didn't make it this year.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Exactly! Personally, I can't wait to have "Hud" in my collection because IMO, it's Paul Newman's greatest acting performance.
Hey Robert, don't forget the performances of Patricia Neal, Melvyn Douglas, and even Brandon De Wilde. :) And of course, there is James Wong Howe's Academy Award winning cinematography. While not as bold as his work on Seconds this has always been one of my favorite films from the oeuvre of Howe. Seeing the widescreen Laserdisc of Hud after numerous 1.33:1 viewings on television was a revelation.

- Walter.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
also at this time i would like to take credit for Captain Kronos.
i suggested that they should track down Caroline Munro who is doing the convention circuit, for a commentary and it seems they actually listened to me .
Thank you! :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Hammers in time for Hallowe'en, and Holmes for Christmas!

Good work, Paramount. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
These are the titles which pique my interest from Paramount’s DVD release schedule for the last three months of the year:

1.BLACK SUNDAY (1977)
2.CAPTAIN KRONOS: VAMPIRE HUNTER (1973)
3.DRAGONSLAYER (1981)
4.FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL (1974)
5.THE LAST TYCOON (1976)
6.ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968)
7.PRETTY BABY (1978)
8.THE GREAT GATSBY (1974)
9.HUD (1963)
10.THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED (1966)

From the above list I’ve only watched BLACK SUNDAY, FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, THE GREAT GATSBY and HUD - as well as JOSEPH ANDREWS (1977), KING DAVID (1985) and YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES (1985) from the rest of Paramount’s schedule.

However, since I already have on VHS all the ones I’ve watched from my list (bar BLACK SUNDAY), the supplements factor, as usual, will necessarily play a huge part in whether I’ll be upgrading or not. So far, both ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST and FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL would seem like definite purchases (judging by the rumored extras which they will supposedly include) but I have my reservations with both titles: even if the Sergio Leone Western epic stars a lot of American actors and was in fact an American/Italian co-production, I’d still like to have the option to watch it in the Italian language version (which is the one I have on VHS), but I doubt it will be included; unfortunately, according to DVD Empire, FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL will only be 93 minutes long but, given that it is only $6.99, but I’ll buy it just the same to replace my full-frame, washed out and speck-ridden VHS copy which I purchased in London about a year ago!

Since I haven’t watched them, I’ll most probably also purchase Elia Kazan’s swan song, THE LAST TYCOON - Harold Pinter’s adaptation of an unfinished novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald which boasts a one-in-a-lifetime cast: Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, Robert Mitchum, Ray Milland, Tony Curtis, Jeanne Moreau, John Carradine, Donald Pleasance, Dana Andrews, Seymour Cassel, Jeff Corey, Theresa Russell and Anjelica Huston!! – and Louis Malle’s controversial PRETTY BABY (1978) with Keith Carradine, Susan Sarandon, Barbara Steele and, of course, Brooke Shields. I would appreciate it if there were to be some nice supplements included but, for $6.99, they’re pretty much a no-brainer!

The last two films I’d like to talk about are Martin Ritt’s HUD – one of Paul Newman’s finest hours and possibly his best ever film, a multi-Oscar winning modern “Western” of sorts – and John Frankenheimer’s BLACK SUNDAY – a surprising big-budget box-office failure in its time but I remember liking it quite a bit actually; unfortunately its director died before having the chance to record an Audio Commentary, a chore he undertook for the DVD releases of THE MANCHURIAN CANIDATE (1962), SEVEN DAYS IN MAY (1964), THE TRAIN (1964), SECONDS (1966), THE GYPSY MOTHS (1969), FRENCH CONNECTION II (1975), and even on such later films as RONIN (1998) and REINDEER GAMES (2000).

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
How do you SPELL "ON A CLEAR DAY" !!!!!!!!
That should have PRIORITY AND RESTORED TO
ITS ORIGINAL LENGTH !!!!!!!!
:)))))))))))

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching my LD of "Looking For Mr Goodbar". As much as I hate to say it, I believe this title will never make it to DVD because of music rights hell. I suppose that Paramount could replace all of the music with stuff that has clearances, but it really would not be the same. This film with today's music, just a little incongruous. I'd love to be proved wrong, but I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks