1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lionsgate Press Release: Chaplin: 15th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Chaplin: 15th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Disc

Chaplin, the film that earned acclaimed actor Robert Downey Jr. an Academy Award® nomination and BAFTA Award, will make its Blu-ray debut this February. The film, directed by two-time Academy Award® winner Richard Attenborough (Gandhi, Director and Best Picture, 1982), boasts a critically-acclaimed ensemble cast that includes Academy Award® winners Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs, Actor in a Leading Role, 1991), Kevin Kline (A Fish Called Wanda, Actor in a Supporting Role, 1988) and Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinny, Actress in a Supporting Role, 1992), along with Academy Award® nominee Diane Lane (Unfaithful, Actress in a Leading Role, 2002) and Academy Award® nominees Dan Aykroyd (Driving Miss Daisy, Actor in a Supporting Role, 1989) and James Woods (Ghosts of Mississippi, Actor in a Supporting Role, 1996). The Chaplin: 15thAnniversary Edition Blu-ray Disc features a 1080P High Definition re-mastered version of the filmand bonus materials including three engrossing featurettes and the theatrical trailer.

Chaplin is a dramatized biography of the highs and lows in the life of one of the foremost comic geniuses the silver screen has ever known. With the use of flashback, an elderly Chaplin (Downey Jr.) discusses his autobiography with his editor (Hopkins) who urges him to be more vulnerable and emotionally honest with his memoirs. Together, they journey through Chaplin's poverty-stricken childhood, closest friendships, many marriages, and his ingenious invention of "The Little Tramp," as well as J. Edgar Hoover's merciless pursuit, Chaplin's shocking exile to Switzerland and his triumphant return to Hollywood. Downey's astonishing mimicry of Chaplin's

gait, gestures and accents complete a dazzlingly authentic portrait of one of cinema's first pop culture icons.

Pricing: Blu-ray Disc - $19.99

Release: February 15th, 2011

2. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I implore everyone who has never seen this film

to give it a chance.

I'll be purchasing this Blu-ray.

This is perhaps Downey's finest role.

3. urbo73

urbo73 Stunt Coordinator

This is a really great film, I totally agree. Saw it when it came out and was blown away. How is it not a 19th anniversary? ;) They could have rounded up to 20...Or maybe another one in 2012 awaits? Hmm...Marketing..I'm just happy it's coming.

4. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Everyone here can thank me for this getting released on Blu-Ray. I grew tired of waiting for a BD release and purchased the SD-DVD version a few months ago -- probably the only SD-DVD film I've purchased in over a year!

5. Ronald Epstein

Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Scott,

Glad they found another Patsy.

The studios used to wait for me to buy specific titles before

deciding to upgrade.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It was called "15th Anniversary" when Lionsgate issued the DVD in 2008, even though that was the sixteenth year. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the same transfer, which looked quite good on DVD. Three featurettes and a trailer were the sum total of the extras on DVD, which was too bad, because the previous DVD had additional extras. Review of the 2008 DVD is here.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I might pick this one up. I didn't love it as much as you guys did on my one viewing, but I've been on a bit of a Chaplin kick with that "Keystone" set and was curious about revisiting this bio picture. Looks like I might as well wait a bit longer. :)

8. Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen Second Unit

Fritz Nilsen
    This is a favourite of mine. Was just thinking the other day that it'd been a while since I'd seen it. I'll wait for the BD now.

If ever there was a movie that could use an extended cut it's this one. The movie's major flaw is that it races through so many events and makes abrupt narrative jumps. I wonder if there was more footage and scenes shot that could be reinstated sometime in the future?

..and Downey IS Chaplin. Remarkable performance.