1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lionsgate MOD Coming

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ahollis, Dec 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Well-Known Member

I strongly doubt there was any Lionsgate release of THE CHOSEN in 2002, since VHS was pretty much a dead format by then. The Amazon listing you are likely referring to is from a collector vendor and not Amazon themselves, as such the information the vendor filled in can be disputed.
    Vestron put out THE CHOSEN on VHS in the '80's since at that time, they had a licensing deal with Orion, who did still own the film then; an Orion logo is clearly featured on the package. This release has no bearing on the Lionsgate DVD release, which is connected to their overall StudioCanal deal.
    The Embassy library split works like this: initially, MGM got video rights because Embassy Home Entertainment was part of the Polygram library they bought in 1999, but after a few years they relinquished any further control, so their full owner, StudioCanal, could shop them around; Anchor Bay initially took them, along with the EMI titles also in their library. As it stands now, whatever Embassy titles MGM put out on VHS or DVD they get to keep unless they give them up (for example, they continue to put out ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, but gave up VICE SQUAD), and Lionsgate gets all the rest.
    A lot of IMDb credits should be taken with a grain of salt; I'm not 100% sold on any Embassy involvement in THE CHOSEN, since they would have gladly released it themselves in the States.
    I more likely think that StudioCanal inherited the title from the Amati family - other films they produced like CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE belong to StudioCanal, if not worldwide then in most European territories.
    So your hypothesies are generally correct - MGM's ownership expired - but the names and parties involved in bringing it to Canal+ and Lionsgate are slightly off.

2. Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia Well-Known Member

We can safely assume that Lionsgate owns most of the Embassy library now. MGM still controls the cream of the crop -Escape from New York, The Howling, Swamp Thing, Scanners-but what of the ones not yet released to DVD that MGM released on vhs? Paradise, Deadly Force, The Soldier to name a few. I slso wonder if Scanners is still theirs? That would be a great Bluray. As would The Brood, which I know was an Embassy vhs -but how did they get the rights? Was New World only the distributor?

3. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Well-Known Member

Jonathan
    Ask James Glickenhaus later this Summer when he brings a 35mm print of THE SOLDIER, along with a 35mm print of MCBAIN, to 92Y Tribeca.

4. Louis Letizia

The Soldier what probably look great on a big screen- esp the ski scene. I'll have to check 92nd st Y schedule for other films upcoming. Nev er saw McBain.

5. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    The Glickenhaus isn't up yet; last year he came with EXTERMINATOR and SHAKEDOWN, both 35mm prints.

6. Louis Letizia

Nice schedule. Ninja lll: The Domination! Where'd that come from? I just might check that one out. And Stay Hungry. Nice to know they show 35mm prints

7. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    They always get prints, when possible, often from collectors, both 35mm and 16mm. They have shown lots of things that seem right up your alley, Lou...they love obscure, non-canonical '70s / '80s titles, even telefilms--i.e., things Film Forum would never go near. A little surprised you haven't already ventured down there.

8. Louis Letizia

I didnt realize how eclectic their programming is-it seems like alot of fun.
    And they truly care about the films is a great bonus.
    Lately I will go out to "important" films at Lincoln Center and Film Forum ...ie....Looking For Mr. Goodbar, Taxi Driver and Suspiria. But-you enlightened me of them showing dvds and not prints most of the time. And now you've educated me on this great venue. I'd also like to see how Nitehawk is. Is it worth a trip to there?
    Thanks again. Nice to know there's a programmer as crazy as i am in film tastes! I'd be interested to see how Roller Boogie[/B] does. I always thought that flick would at least obtain a cult status of The Apple.
    '

9. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    Happy to help, Louis. 92Y Tribeca needs more local folks like you to beef up their attendance. Bring friends. :)
    Last weekend, they screened rare prints of 2 Friedkin television docs (PEOPLE V. PAUL CRUMP & THIN BLUE LINE) followed by a nice 35mm print of TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA...not too many folks there, unfortunately.
    They will have Mark L. Lester out for ROLLER BOOGIE and COMMANDO. It's too bad BAM didn't capitalize on the potential synergy by following up with Lester's FIRESTARTER for their Tangerine Dream series right around that time.
    Yes, Walter Reade was up to some of their unfortunate recent "tricks" this past weekend...they had signs outside the theater identifying BLADE RUNNER as a 35mm presentation. Then...they showed BLADE RUNNER via a digital projection. :rolleyes:
    I think Nitehawk shows some rep stuff on film, other stuff digitally. Soon, the playing field will open up even more with the opening of the new Alamo Drafthouse on the UWS.

10. Louis Letizia

Anxious about that one....any idea when?

11. Jon Hertzberg

Jonathan
    Sometime in 2013 is what Tim League says. In the meantime, we already have venues such as 92Y Tribeca doing a lot of the same kind of programming...in fact, they have, at times, borrowed prints from the Drafthouse collection. Was just outside the Metro this past weekend (where the new Drafthouse will be) and the "space available" notice is still up so it will probably be a little while under more ground is broken.
    You might also want to check out the MAD Museum, Louis. Their prints are not always the greatest from what I've heard, but they just had a pretty full Argento retro last month and seem to dig genre fare.

12. Louis Letizia

I'm most definitely going to join the Y -it seems they have alot of good choices.
    Thanks about the reccomendations----very appreciated

13. Mark Edward Heuck

Not quite sure how the chains shake out, but I believe SCANNERS reverted back to its Canadian producers, and might be tied up in remake discussions. As for THE BROOD, I think it's also some outside deal with the Canadians where Corman's rights expired, but the old deal Embassy Home Entertainment made still held up, which is why MGM put out the DVD.
    Don May at Synapse made an overall deal for the movies Glickenhaus owns, but stated that THE SOLDIER was still controlled by StudioCanal and thus he couldn't put it out.

14. Louis Letizia

Thanks. Fascinating stuff. Shame about the Glickenhaus deal...Synapse would have done wonders with them in Bluray. They seemed to have hinted at this when THE SOLDIER trailer was on one of the 42nd St Forever discs.
    I think SCANNERS as a remake will lose its low budget charm. CGI cannot do justice to exploding heads ( same for THE FURY...whose special effects I'm admiring more and more.) .

15. Mark Edward Heuck

So now that it's safe to say that Lionsgate has pretty much abandoned the MOD concept, what do you think is next?

16. Mark Edward Heuck

I spoke too soon. Lionsgate continues to offer MOD releases as Amazon exclusives. Of course, there's practically no way to get a complete list of them all unlike the other studios programs, even though they're all pressed by CreateSpace.

They just announced a very mislabeled "Nouvelle Vague" promotion for both DVD-R and HD streaming. Check it out:

[color=rgb(55,64,78);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;]"On September 9, a collection of eight critically acclaimed French Nouvelle Vague films will be available on Digital HD* and On Demand for the first time ever in the United States from Lionsgate Home Entertainment. In addition to being available on Digital HD on iTunes, the films, with [one exception], will also be available on DVD exclusively at Amazon.com."

And the films in this collection are:

QUAI DES ORFEVRES (JENNY LAMOUR)
    TOUCHEZ PAS AUX GRISBI
    LE TROU
    A WOMAN IS A WOMAN
    LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD
    ARMY OF SHADOWS
    BILLY LIAR
    DARLING

ahem

Well, let's start with the obvious fact that the last two films on that list are BRITISH!

Let us also note that the French New Wave didn't start until 1958, which renders the first two movies on that list ineligible because they were too early. Moreover, the directors that constituted the New Wave wanted to stand APART from the older French directors like Clouzot and Becker, who directed the first three movies on the list.

Also, all these DVD reissues (save DARLING, whose video rights are still with MGM), which previously had excellent Criterion releases - no frills MOD DVD-R releases.[/color]

Extremely frustrating! :angry: :angry:

17. Mark Edward Heuck

Looking through CD Universe, I was able to suss out a few more Lionsgate DVD-R releases. Apologies if these have been posted beforeEASTSIDEA PERSONAL JOURNEY WITH MARTIN SCORSESE THROUGH AMERICAN MOVIESTHE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE
    ASTERIX AND OBELIX: MISSION CLEOPATRA
    ASTERIX AND OBELIX: AGAINST CAESAR
    ZOLTAN: HOUND OF DRACULA
    WINTER KILLS
    THE ESCAPE ARTIST
    THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH
    SHALL WE DANCE
    KEPT
    STARK RAVING MAD
    REVENGE OF THE MUSKETEERS
    PARIS IS BURNING
    PRIEST