What's new

Lion's Gate purchases Artisan... Will this affect their DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Of course Paramount holds most of the film materials to the REpublic library and if Artisan wants to release any versions of those titles they simply take whatever Paramouint decides to give them. Since Paramount sees extremely little profit from the Artisan releases, and thir products are essentially competing against one another, Paramount sees no reason to provide quality sources to Artisan for film's like The Quiet Man or High Noon. Especially not when they'll be able to make loads of profit off those titles in a few years anyway. So Paramount saves lots of money not making a new high def transfer for Artisan to use and benefit from now and also benefits by giving Artisan an extremely bad name. I doubt things will be much different when Lion's Gate takes over. The finger pointing blame game has been focused unfairly on
Artisan for a while, I'm glad this merger means I can at least tell people that it's not entirely their fault

Btrw this is not meant to bash Paramount, they're simiply taking an intelligent move that will maximize profits on their end. Unfortunately it also means that these films get bad DVD treatment, tand that Artisan's reputation is damaged. But artisan has not been a saint either, telling people that nthese new special editiosn were restored and remastered when they were essentailly given the new transfers and only rant hem through digital clean ups that were not especially beneficial to the final lookof the material.

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
I'm kind of mad at Lion's Gate for reissuing Happiness for it's Signature Series with the exact same disc as the previous version. What's the point of reissuing a DVD if you're not at least going to remaster it? Oh well... *buys it anyway because his VHS copy is broken*

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I second the vote for an anamorphic THE DOORS- maybe a DTS edition to boot?

I read sometime back that Artisan supposedly held the rights to Argento's TRAUMA as well as SLEEPLESS. Maybe Lion's Gate could release an "Argento Double Feature" DVD featuring TRAUMA and SLEEPLESS both in anamorphic widescreen? That'd be nice :)

Vincent

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Does KINGPIN Season 2 exist?

How about a CD with the cool theme?

thanks

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't know about the US, but in Cnada I avoid anything with Lion's Gate on it, since it is most likely MAR and a poor transfer at that. Of course, Artisan wasn't really a banner of quality either, and MAR on any second tier title.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Not all Lion's Gate releases in Canada are bad; it's just that, in inheriting CFP's library, they wound up with a lot of subpar MAR titles. Where I live, most of those Lion's Gate releases are nearly gone, and much of their recent output (not the bargain bin crap) has been pretty good.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I can't say I've been overly impressed with Lion's Gate's track record.

They have a nasty habit of releasing "R" rated cuts only -- see "Monster's Ball," "Rules of Attraction," and "American Psycho." Sure, they double-dipped with the unrated cut of "Monster's Ball" later, but I expect better from an "indie" friendly studio.

And then there were the problems with "Irreversible."

And re-releasing "Happiness" in a new "director's series" but just including the same old non-enhanced transfer, with shrunken Dan Clowes cover art to top off the package.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I thought AMERICAN PSYCHO was a Universal DVD, and was released in an unrated cut?

Vincent

Will K

Screenwriter
I thought AMERICAN PSYCHO was a Universal DVD, and was released in an unrated cut?
Universal did put out two seperate DVD's. I guess the rights reverted back to Lion's Gate and they apparently chose only to release the R-rated theatrical cut. Who knows why.

I'm just ready now for Lion's to correct Artisan's shoddy treatment of horror/catalog titles.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
im waiting for the STARGATE "Ultra-Ultimate-finally done right" edition. ;)

Just purchased LGs CHINESE BOX and it, among other things , had Wangs first short-LIFE IS CHEAP-TP IS EXPENSIVE...as a bonus..

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
This is great news. I really hope that Lions Gate re-releases these movies on DVD in OAR such as:

Drop Dead Fred
Cujo

These are 2 movies which Artisan released on DVD in Pan & scan. I want to see Drop Dead Fred & Cujo re-released on DVD in anamorphic Widescreen.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
First order of business: THE LAST EMPEROR director's cut in amamorphic widescreen with as many bells and whistles as can be mustered. A two-disc set, surely. Go for it, Lions Gate, and best with the acquistion.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Agreed about The Last Emperor and High Noon. I'd also like a widescreen release of The Hit (I might actually buy it if it's in OAR).

But most importantly, four words for a title that I believe Artisan holds the rights to and that I desperately want a good-quality R1 disc of: Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. It's a great film, and my crappy over-compressed PAL/R2 disc just isn't cutting it for me.

Kenshiro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
All the requests and complaints I second them.

If Lion's Gate is following this thread, a complaint for them.

Why no liner notes?? Just a shoddy catalog of upcoming product, if you release a title under the Signature Series banner at least include a chapter search card instead of putting it on the back cover.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I would also like to see the rest of Speed Racer. The first set seemed to fly off the shelves in my area. I was surprised that a second set did not follow shortly after.

With regard to High Noon and The Quiet Man, I really don't see what is wrong with the transfers. They look fine to me.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Speed Racer 2, last I heard, was tentative for spring '04. I have no idea how the sale may or may not affect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks