What's new

Lindsay Anderson's "If..." (1 Viewer)

No McDowell/Sherwin commentary? Jeez, after all these years and they're leaving that out? I wonder why. I hope to God they're not substituting some academic instead. I'd rather suffer through Mick's caning. That commentary was something I was dying to hear ever since the planned Paramount release that was cruelly aborted 4 years ago.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Ah! I might have to buy both versions then (sigh...).

Talking about Criterion's promised release, I recall reading a rumour some time ago that they might also be planning to release a new version of Lindsay Anderson's 'This Sporting Life'. (It was previously released on an OK-ish Image DVD in Region 1, but there's definitely room for improvement.) It would be great if Criterion were to make it a double bill of Lindsay Anderson films in June! Dare we hope for that?!

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
I have never seen "This Sporting Life" so I would love a release of that as well. I'm also really hoping that this news about "if..." prompts Warners to release "O Lucky Man" so I can finally have the Mick Travis trilogy complete on DVD. And I hope that Criterion releases the longest cut of the film they can find. I understand the European cut of "if..." was a bit longer due to some extra shots during the shower scenes and the matron's nude walk around the school.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Well, yours truly (:)) asked about O Lucky Man at the Warner Bros. chat last night and...

It is "definitely" coming out on DVD this year!

nice.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Obviously DVDs of Lindsay Anderson films are like London buses. After waiting for years, two - or maybe even three - come along in the same year.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for asking Jack! I'm so excited about "O Lucky Man", especially after Helen Mirren's Oscar win. It was weird watching the Barbara Walters special the other night and seeing her and Malcom McDowell in a scene from "Caligula". I forgot that they were in that film together following "O.L.M"

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Miroslav Ondricek and assistant editor Ian Rakoff
Audio commentary featuring film critic and historian David Robinson and actor Malcolm McDowell
A 2003 episode from the Scottish TV series Cast and Crew about If. . . ., featuring interviews with McDowell, Ondricek, director’s assistant Stephen Frears, producer Michael Medwin, and screenwriter David Sherwin
Thursday’s Children (1955), Anderson’s Academy Award–winning breakthrough documentary about a school for deaf children, co-directed by Guy Brenton and narrated by Richard Burton
New video interview with actor Graham Crowden
Original theatrical trailers
PLUS: A booklet featuring pieces by critic David Ehrenstein, screenwriter David Sherwin, and director Lindsay Anderson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks