1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lindsay Anderson's "If..."

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bradley Newton, Nov 15, 2005.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

Then I can't wait

2. Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton Well-Known Member

3. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Well-Known Member

This is easily the best DVD news I've seen in a couple of years! Roll on June!

4. Philo MacDuff

Philo MacDuff Active Member

No McDowell/Sherwin commentary? Jeez, after all these years and they're leaving that out? I wonder why. I hope to God they're not substituting some academic instead. I'd rather suffer through Mick's caning. That commentary was something I was dying to hear ever since the planned Paramount release that was cruelly aborted 4 years ago.

5. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
    It may still come, at least in R2; Amazon UK is carrying a release of If... in June by Paramount.

6. Bruce Morrison

Ah! I might have to buy both versions then (sigh...).

Talking about Criterion's promised release, I recall reading a rumour some time ago that they might also be planning to release a new version of Lindsay Anderson's 'This Sporting Life'. (It was previously released on an OK-ish Image DVD in Region 1, but there's definitely room for improvement.) It would be great if Criterion were to make it a double bill of Lindsay Anderson films in June! Dare we hope for that?!

7. Bradley Newton

I have never seen "This Sporting Life" so I would love a release of that as well. I'm also really hoping that this news about "if..." prompts Warners to release "O Lucky Man" so I can finally have the Mick Travis trilogy complete on DVD. And I hope that Criterion releases the longest cut of the film they can find. I understand the European cut of "if..." was a bit longer due to some extra shots during the shower scenes and the matron's nude walk around the school.

8. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Well-Known Member

Well, yours truly ([​IMG]) asked about O Lucky Man at the Warner Bros. chat last night and...

It is "definitely" coming out on DVD this year!

nice.

9. Bruce Morrison

Obviously DVDs of Lindsay Anderson films are like London buses. After waiting for years, two - or maybe even three - come along in the same year.

10. Bradley Newton

Thanks for asking Jack! I'm so excited about "O Lucky Man", especially after Helen Mirren's Oscar win. It was weird watching the Barbara Walters special the other night and seeing her and Malcom McDowell in a scene from "Caligula". I forgot that they were in that film together following "O.L.M"

11. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Well-Known Member

Jeff
    So we've got If... and O Lucky Man - but what's the third part of the Mick Travis trilogy and is it available?

12. Vincent-P

Vincent-P Well-Known Member

The third part is Britannia Hospital & it's available from Anchor Bay.

13. Bradley Newton

The Cover art is up at the Criterion site!!!!
    Double-disc!!!!!!
    This makes my day!!!!!!!!

14. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
    [​IMG]

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Miroslav Ondricek and assistant editor Ian Rakoff
    Audio commentary featuring film critic and historian David Robinson and actor Malcolm McDowell
    A 2003 episode from the Scottish TV series Cast and Crew about If. . . ., featuring interviews with McDowell, Ondricek, director’s assistant Stephen Frears, producer Michael Medwin, and screenwriter David Sherwin
    Thursday’s Children (1955), Anderson’s Academy Award–winning breakthrough documentary about a school for deaf children, co-directed by Guy Brenton and narrated by Richard Burton
    New video interview with actor Graham Crowden
    Original theatrical trailers
    PLUS: A booklet featuring pieces by critic David Ehrenstein, screenwriter David Sherwin, and director Lindsay Anderson