What's new

LimeWire and NetBarrier X questions (1 Viewer)

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Can someone give me any info regarding these 2 programs?

I did a search on downloading music and LimeWire came up. How is this and how does file sharing work? Do I have to alter anything in system preferences?

I currently have Norton's Firewall but it's OS9. I have it running in classic on osX but after doing tests on Sygate Online Services and Shields Up!, the responses I was getting were either "blocked" or "closed". I did a search to see what else is available and found NetBarrier X. I installed the free basic version (try-out) and re-did the tests. They both came back "stealth". Anyone have NetBarrier X or have had any experience with it. Or maybe someone have other recommendations.

I'm not only a Mac newbie but a newbie when the internet is involved. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Angel

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Angel - As far as I know, Limewire seems to be the best peer to peer app on the Mac. You don't have to alter anything, just install it and start searching!

As for Firewalls, just use the built-in firewall in OS X.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Assuming you have Jaguar (10.2) you open "System Preferences" and click on "Sharing" and then the "Firewall" tab. Press the button to turn it on!

Be warned though that you probably won't be able to use Limewire with a Firewall turned on unless you know how to open ports.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
No Firewall on 10.1. I'd seriously recommend spending money on the Jaguar update for more reasons than the Firewall, however.

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
Hey Patrick, thanks for the responses. I'll consider the upgrade. BTW, what other reasons are there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks