What's new

Like my new sub......... (^: (1 Viewer)

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor

Yah right, I wish!!!!!!!!

BTW, what do you think about Adire's new "Parthenon"???

In a 24" square baffle unit, with a Qts of 0.72 and an Fs of 7 Hz. Flat anechoic response to 6 Hz. And capable of over 66 liters of linear air displacement! That will generate reference level (121 dB SPL) output at 20 Hz, when sitting naked in a room - no room gain, no baffle, no box required. The first true dipole driver (not sub - no baffle, remember!) that can do reference outputs. With flat output to the single digits. More output than 12 Tumults. At ~ $4500-$5000 each, it's a relative bargain. :D

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if I could build that first enclosure with just my Black & Decker Versapak jigsaw? ;)

That second pic from Adire looks dangerous. How much does that thing weigh?

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Looks like an URPS (Under Resonance Principle Subwoofer)application I was reading about elsewhere. Apparently this is very popular in Europe for getting low response out of a small box. Requires a whole bunch of juice though.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Hey Dave,
It's really not as heavy as one may think. Neo magnets IIRC.

Dang Brian, I always thought you had the inside scoop :)
Apparently it's Adires new "toy". ~ 80mm one way xmax!!!
Hey, how bout them dawgs :D
I know I know, I can't say much either...... We lost too :frowning:

As for the URPS, I have not clue. Where did you read about it?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the sub you posted. I know this because I showed him the link to the Parthenon about a week ago. ;) Yeah, I'd love to know more about the first sub pictured. They look like HE15 woofers from Stryke but it looks like it's posted on a European website. I didn't know John had much business outside the US.

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kyle,

If you see this, that first sub might make a nice looking design for the Everest. . . .For those that do not know, that would be (2) Tumults, and (4) 18" PR's

Brian

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Other than the link that has been referenced previously, the only information I can find on URPS is in German. The best I can make out is that the goal of producing deep bass without distortion in a small cabinet has taken years to accomplish but "Murphy" and Mr. Weideinger did it and the results were published on http://www.weidinger-online.de
Mr. Weideinger has provided information, including active equalization, so DIYers can build their own URPS, if you can read German. So, if you choose to look at it, the information is all found under URPS in the contents bar on the left.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That URPS subwoofer shown at top is really cool! I did a search for information and I came up with the same results as Tim above. And I can't read German.

Before I build my Adire sub, I'd like to leaarn more about this. I'd be interested in a translation of that site and simple instructions and data regarding volumes for a cabinet, power needs and the drivers that go with it. Looks like as Tim says, that German site might have all the answers.

Anyone know German?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
They're taking a box that's way too small, filling it with a ton of drivers and then using EQ. Actually LOT'S of EQ, 28dB! in one instance to boost the bottom end. Interesting idea. IMO this is not something for the faint at heart or a noobie. Any mistake and you'll fry all the woofers and the amp. The link he posted is to a Linkwitz Transform circuit that is the type of EQ they're using.

To translate any webpage use..... Babel Fish.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Thomas for the translation site, very useful.

Agreed it's an advanced project for someone who's new to speaker building. But I like a challenge, maybe not now though.

Nelson

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Not much new in that design aside from the very complicated to build cabinet. This, assuming Toms post is the basic parts and idea behind the design.

Wish I could access the English transfer with this WEb-Tv crap..:angry:

Cool yes, very cool and a exceptional woofage conversational piece.

Certainly not a project for the newbie...! Better bring the pocket book along, your gona need it just for the internal/external goodies not to mention the nut house specilist your gona need to see after words...

Yah, bet Kyles right on the Everest design change over, the price just jumped 1K....:laugh:

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
It basically becomes all about brute force. In case you were wondering, the Dayton Titanic 10" subwoofer kit used a lot of EQ of the woofer - 6dB. I don't remember the center frequency of the boost, but I found a while ago that I could use my old Blueprint 1001 sub driver in a 1-cubic-foot sealed box and be flat to 25 Hz and 3dB down at 20 Hz, theoretically. I'm going to build that for the friend that I am selling it to now that I'm getting an AV12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks