What's new

Lighting Control (1 Viewer)

bbarnthouse

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Barnthouse
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I could not find somewhere specific for my question. I am new here so if it is here just point me in the right direction, Thanks. I have had my HT for about 10 years now and am finally getting around to automating the lighting. Does anyone on here have experience with any of the lighting controls on the market? I have 4 zones to control and need IR control. I am currently using a Logitech 1100 remote for the Blue Ray, Projector, Amp. Any experience you have had and/or any recommendations or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you. Bill

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Bill-

Welcome to Home Theater Forum. I have moved your thread here where it may get a better response. Lutron makes a couple of different things that would work. Their Spacer switches are switches you can substitute for your existing switches. They can be controlled via any learning IR remote. You could make it work with 4 loads, its just as bit more complicated. Assuming you have the switches for all four loads at the same location you can use a Lutron GRAFIK Eye. This is one panel that accepts IR signals and lets you create scenes. I haven't price shopped them in a while, but they are a few hundred dollars.

bbarnthouse

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Barnthouse

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by bbarnthouse

I had looked at the Grafik Eye and they seemed to be pretty pricey. After i posted this yesterday I found a local supplier for Universal Remote [url=http://www.universalremote.com/products/residential/remotes/mx-3000] . So I am upgrading my remote to their MX-3000 coupled with Lutron RF switches for the lighting. This should be a nice setup and easy to install/program. I should have everything today so we'll see.

Thanks again.

Bill

No problem. I was going to mention them, but I figured you had already went with the Logitech. I have several Universal Remotes (including the 3000), and you may want to think hard before you go with the MX-3000. I ended up going with the MX-980 for most of my remotes (the MX-5000 wasn't available).

Here is why. If you use it for DVRing, every time to want to skip a commercial, you will have to touch the screen to "wake it up" and then again to skip the commercial. In short, small touch or information screens are good, touch screens for most of the buttons become annoying. Also it takes more graphic/creative work to get the 3000 programmed than the 980, plus its more expensive. Just my $.02 as I have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks