What's new

LIFEFORCE SE desperately wanted... (1 Viewer)

sarah99

Agent
Real Name
sarah
The trailer doesn't play on my DVD player either, but I can play it on my PC by dragging VOB 3_1 onto Media Player Classic.

Great film too!

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. You've saved me a bit of money. Hopefully people will realise that this wee flick has a good fan base and get a good version out some time.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
time to revive this thread-what with FOX going like gangbusters releasing high quality MGM catalog like never before (I give you fine folks at FOX 9 out of 10 stars) your interest in film is apprecaited.
LIFEFORCE was one of the first DVDs back in 1997, and is still non- anamorphic.
A 2 disc set, with both versions, bonuses, and the 30 min MAKING OF LIFEFORCE , and any interviews, deleted footage-would round out the set.
Ive heard that Hooper wanted a 3 hour epic-until Golan Globus pulled the plug, and let the studio edit and market it.
And I wonder what became of that wonderfully designed alien ship- I loved its architecture. And Matilda May wasnt TOO hard to look at...
FOX-take heed-if you can release Irwin Allens THE LOST WORLD, then this surely is a no brainer.
Any comets or Space Shuttle anniversaries to use as an excuse to get this out? Not even Matilda Mays birthday? Use ANY excuse
And I hope a new remaster, SE of JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH (1959) is in the works soon.
Finally, thank you FOX for so many great edtions-lately a wonderfull IPHEGENIA and the MANON/JEAN DE FLORETTE set.
SONY was/is clueless about the MGM catalog--hell, they are clueless about their own catalog-but their stupidity is our gain-after 30-odd editions of DARK CRYSTAL (a personal favorite, but still) they still cant seem to get it together-they only have BOND and MORRICONE and quadriple dips in their narrow film awareness.
How about a remaster of Kevin Reynolds THE BEAST (1987)
------------------------------------------------------------------
I see I spoke too soon. LIFEFORCE will be released on Sept 11, 2007-but-no other details (Fox HV site)
Surely if they can give Irwin Allens THE LOST WORLD 2 disc 16x9 treatment, with the added 1925 version,
I would hope LF gets the same or better.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

WOW...

Dare I hope that more footage has turned up? Dare I hope that the making-of will be included? Dare I hope that there'll be a cast and/or crew commentary? Dare I hope that this release will actually come to pass???

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

Mark:

I can find no record of this upcoming title on any Fox Home Video site, nor any other mention of it anywhere else. Is it possible they've pulled it down, postponed it?

I hope it pops up, as this title's crying out for an nice, new "enhanced for 16 by 9" transfer. As Mathilda May's legacy, she ought to look her best, and in the highest resolution. I'm just sayin'.

--Jack

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
http://www.foxstore.com/detail?item=3639

"expected release date Sept 11, 2007"

I hoping that since FOX did the right thing with several previous non-anamophic films, that they will this one, too. I think they would know better.
Still I am keeping my German copy unless this has both versions.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I was looking at the list of free HD On Demand movies on Comcast a few days ago and Lifeforce showed up. I watched it. Looked good - especially the naked vampire! The only problem was whenever there was an action scene, the volume went way up. Was this on the original print?

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

Thanks for the link, Mark. From the look of it, I'm not optimistic they've remastered the film. Otherwise...surely, they'd cite anamorphic-ness of it?

But I'll keep my fingers crossed they quietly sneak an enhanced version out. From what Roland just posted, there is an HD version out there, so maybe that does suggest a re-master... Time will tell. And thanks for the heads up.

--Jack

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
So, which cut is being released? It looks like there are three:

1. American theatrical cut
2. European theatrical cut
3. Home video version

The American cut is shorter, but more graphic. The home video cut is longer, but less graphic. And the European cut has it all. Am I correct?

So, is the new disc going to include the home video cut, or the European?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Sadly I doubt this is going to be a new release. Fox has touted dozens of genre discs that are coming on 9/11 but there's no mention of LIFEFORCE in any one of their press releases.

I bet this is just a repackaging of what's already out there, regrettably, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

The version that shows up on HDNet Movies and elsewhere is from Sony and is the THEATRICAL cut. (You can tell because if it's got the Tri-Star logo before the film, it's the shorter, theatrical cut; if it opens with the Cannon logo it's the International version). I guess Sony/Tri-Star must have held onto TV exhibition rights, even in the U.S., as the Theatrical version still shows up on regular cable too.

The longer International version hasn't been remastered to my knowledge anywhere to date.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

I'm afraid not. There are only 2 versions -- the U.S. theatrical cut and the longer "International" cut (which is what's on the U.S. DVD).

As far as the violence goes, no, one version isn't more "graphic" than the other. That's actually the first time I've even read that -- there's some misleading and inaccurate stuff on the IMDB (wouldn't be the first time, lol) that says the European/International cut is "more violent and erotic," but that's basically hogwash. The edits have nothing to do with violence but more plot and scene extensions. (And the only scene I can think of that's in the U.S. theatrical cut -- and NOT in the extended International version -- is a hilarious moment of a zombie going through the trash looking for scraps...not what I would call "graphic" :) )

Interestingly, though, is that the "International" cut (116 min) only played in the UK for a few days before it was pulled and replaced with the 102 min. U.S. version. At least that's what a friend of mine in England recalled -- I don't think that International version actually played across widespread international territories as the name implies...but maybe some European friends can confirm that.

The other thing is that, while the "International" version is much better than the U.S. edit (or at least funnier, lol), it is STILL cut. Henry Mancini's opening soundtrack cues run for about 15-20 minutes, and in the film -- even the longer version -- they're still cut down to about 5 minutes or so.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
if its any cause for hope, Fox doesnt list 16x9 as a "feature" on several known to be anamorphic films-ie: Dr No, Kingdom of Heaven etc. either.

So, as to whether they are going to sneak this one out, bare bones, but enhanced, is the question.
I can see no other reason for a re-release, as it was already at a bargain price point, and they could have just kept restocking/cataloging away on it.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

I disagree with your positing LIFEFORCE as an unintentional comedy. Nobody I've ever shown it to has laughed at it. I certainly don't think it's any funnier than QUATERMASS AND THE PIT, but perhaps you find that one funny as well...

The cover looks exactly the same as the old release. No trumpeting of a special edition, special features, etc. I'll just bet that this will be the same-old same-old. And it's already been re-released once. Think of it...three non-anamorphic barebones releases on DVD, all of them using a recycled laserdisc transfer. Great.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

Tobe Hooper has an eccentric, over-the-top stylization that I can see a humorous side to (usually when thinking about how it's going to play for a wider audience), but I never have any trouble taking his films seriously. I really like his recent Masters of Horror episode, "Dance of the Dead". It's insane, also very aggressive in its style...but completely brilliant and very misunderstood as a result. Dark, disturbed, somehow poignant...and nihilistic as hell. Highly recommended...

I agree the odds are on the new disc being a regurgitation of the old; it'd be the most cost effective way to keep it out there, without having to spend to find the original elements and do an HD master of them. I just hope they haven't been lost, because SOMEDAY, someone's going to want to do that HD transfer. I mean, a whole cottage industry of nekkid space Vampiresses and Alien Girls has sprung up around this film and Species, which I think Lifeforce begat. There will be more films like this; I think Hooper created a new genre!

--Jack

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

Hey thanks for the sarcasm, and it's funny reading your analysis, because as odd as you think my viewpoint is, I find yours absolutely astounding. Just an FYI, unless you've paid no attention to the sorts of reviews and writings and viewer reactions the film has generated, LIFEFORCE basically has a worldwide rep as an unintentional hoot -- albeit one with great special effects and a fantastic musical score. I take it no more seriously than I do some of the Universal sci-fi flicks of the '50s, but with an A-budget and some unbelievably funny, unintentional moments of humor.

Whether you or your friends laughed at it is besides the point -- there's a cult of viewers out there who have, and enjoy it as a big, huge sci-fi spectacle with some very obvious inadvertent humor (come on, the scene where Carlson is interrogated is HILARIOUS...especially the guy who interrupts them in the middle of it by knocking on the door. I've shown the movie to about a dozen people, all of whom couldn't stop laughing at that sequence. Nor the security guard who attempts to stop Mathilda May by offering her a bite of his sandwich....or the hilarious moment where the male vampire offers "it'd be a lot less terrifying if you'd just come to me!" to Peter Firth at the end, a sublime moment exclusive to the International Cut. I can think of about a dozen other moments -- or basically Steve Railsback's entire performance -- that generated the same response).

Even one of the writers is on record saying he thought Hooper directed it as a comedy (and he wasn't kidding), so I'm hardly alone on that front.

IMO taking the film completely seriously as some kind of "misunderstood masterpiece" is most definitely the view of a very, very small minority -- and I certainly agree to disagree with your viewpoint.

But unlike you I choose not to be sarcastic and disrespectful about it, like I can't even believe it exists. And yes I am a huge sci-fi fan and no I don't find most genre films unintentionally funny either.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Well, its not quite on the level of KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE-but with the very premise of the film and the expensive SPFX-I would have liked them to have played it straight-too bad Ridley Scott couldnt have directed it

What we have now is an estimated $25 million dollar "B" cult picture.
that has probably to date, broken even-with change.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

I'm certainly not saying that there's no humor in the film. I love Lamson's befuddlement at the harsh treatment of his boss. Likewise, when Carlsen asks Caine if he'd like to wait outside while Carlsen interrogates the asylum nurse, Caine's reply of "Not at all. I am a natural voyeur" is classic. And intentionally humorous, even. But you seem to think it's PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE with a budget.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all; I meant every word. And I don't find your viewpoint odd; quite the contrary, I find it all too numbingly typical. I will say that, as much as I have issues with Quentin Tarantino as a filmmaker, at least I'm in agreement with him on the merits of LIFEFORCE; before he screened it at his festival a few years ago, he said he'd rather not hear cascades of laughter in the wrong places (words to that effect), or he'd get pissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks