What's new

LG BH100 HD DVD / Blu-ray hybrid player (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Could this LG player tip the scales in favor of Blu-Ray? Here is my reasoning. I am chomping at the bit to buy a new high definition DVD, but have decided to wait until the format war has been decided. This dual LG player looks great for me (assuming I want to plunk down $1,200). I buy the player and try both formats, but since the HD-DVD software can't handle HD-DVD menus or extras very well, I start buying more and more Blu-Ray discs. This essentially give Blu-Ray the edge.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Could this LG player tip the scales in favor of Blu-Ray? Here is my reasoning. I am chomping at the bit to buy a new high definition DVD, but have decided to wait until the format war has been decided. This dual LG player looks great for me (assuming I want to plunk down $1,200). I buy the player and try both formats, but since the HD-DVD software can't handle HD-DVD menus or extras very well, I start buying more and more Blu-Ray discs. This essentially give Blu-Ray the edge.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Moving this thread to the HDef Hardware area and merging with another LG combo thread in that area.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I just remembered that Tax time is coming, and last year I got a pretty decent amount back now that I'm working regularly. Almost, but not quite enough to buy an LG Dual player drive.

I really don't want to blow it all on one thing, but like others have stated, I'm just itching to buy it......

Has anyone had any reviews on the PC drive yet, and when can we expect it to come down in price? ;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Just curious... When I watch a movie, I watch the movie, and then I'll usually look at the deleted scenes, featurettes, etc. OK, so I don't want an LG player. I want a Denon or Pioneer or Yamaha or Marantz or etc next generation universal machine (HD DVD, Blu-ray, DVD, CD, DVD-A, SACD). But since the LG is missing some of the interactivity of HD DVD, is this really a big deal? What specifically is this new interactivity? Even if I *could* hook my player up to the internet, I don't think I'd want to. Just curious what others thought, or those now with HD DVD players, what is new with HD DVD that DVD doesn't have that you like?

Neal_C

Second Unit
It seems that the whole interactive menu system for HD-DVD is crippled in the LG player which is why HD-DVD would not allow their logo on the player.

Here is what wikipedia says about it:

"HDi allows menus to be displayed during video playback, like persistent user-defined bookmarks, picture-in-picture (for cast commentaries/interviews, behind the scenes footage, etc.), storyboards and production photos, GPS[2], calculators (example; body-count, car-insurance/damage, etc.), technical Statistics, and network access to download new features, trailers and extras using standard HD DVD set-top players.

HDi is not limited to being used on optical media. It can even be used on media delivered or streamed over the internet or any other network."

These features can be meaningful or meaningless depending on your tastes. But why buy a crippled player? Why encourage them rushing this unit out of the door? Its a first gen LG player for $1199. I am personally staying far, far away.

You can get a standalone player for each format that are fully functional and not crippled for less than the LG player.

When the combo units meet the price of 2 standalones or beat that price and provide the same functionality, then I think they are a viable option.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

With the new Sony price of 599, and the lowered HD-DVD price around 400, it's cheaper to buy both models and enjoy HD in it's complete glory.

Neal_C

Second Unit

Jerome, isn't that what I said in my quote? :)

You have been able to buy into both formats cheaper than this LG combo for several months now if you use the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't want two players. I want one player to rule them all. :)

My point really was: even if I buy a fully functioning HD DVD player now, and *don't* want to hook it up to the internet, is that any different from what LG is offering?

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Yes, absolutely different. Pop in a copy of Batman Begins and look at how little you can access (hint, the movie works....)!

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Read reports from users regarding the LG player, I understand it isn't a very good HD DVD player. Features are missing and functionality limited compared to stand alone HD DVD players. Although I hate having so many players in my theater and need to determine if I can find a solution to getting all of the analog 5.1 cables connected to my receiver that isn't just an ugly mess of cables. Right now I have my Oppo DV970HD connected to the analog input, that player handles my SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V playback. My Toshiba HD-A1 and Samsung BD-P1000 are just connected by optical or coaxial digital connection. I am going to try a Dolby TrueHD disc over the analog 5.1 connections and see if I must have that ability. I am years away from an HDMI capable amplifier.

A truly universal Blu-ray/HD DVD/DVD-V/DVD-A/SACD/CD player would replace 4 players in my system. Of course I would still have the D-VHS VCR, DirecTV HD DVR, and Comcast HD DVR. Good grief, is there another nutcase like me around?

Chris

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I don't know why but I am not suprised that the LG uni player is not all that great. And hearing about its problems and the fact that the quality is not all the great. It just cements my decision that I will not spend money on LG products. I would spend $1500 on a Pioneer but I definantly would not spend $1200 on a LG. I to would rather have a Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer or Sony, not to sure I would trust a 2nd gen Samsung ether.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

No, I don't need one but of course I have several all-region DVD players. Please don't suggest I need to consider having all region Blu-ray or HD DVD. I hope that is never needed.

The LG manufactured products I own have been great, absolutely problem free. The Hughes HTL-HD DirecTV/OTA HDTV receiver, a Zenith DVB318 DVD player and LG DVB418 DVD player are the only ones I have owned. I have no complaints regarding reliability or performance in their price ranges. This hybrid player probably wasn't ready for prime time, but I think LG could have offered a fine Blu-ray player and the second generation hybrid if it shows up, might be excellent. Samsung and LG are contenders for my money every time I purchase a product they offer.

Chris

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The moment they bring a complete hybrid, playing both HD DVD as well as BD discs to the fullest extent, I will probably buy one (if the price is right too).

This one won't do it for me, I'd rather buy a BD-player next to my HD-A1 than a hybrid that won't make my HD DVD player superfluous.

Cees

g-man

Grip
Real Name
keith
I would love to buy a PS3, even through I don,t play games. Just believe it,s a move in the right direction. The hybrid

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I will not be buying the LG ether, I see no reason to buy a clunky LG that is not fully functional with the interactivity. This player to my knowledge is getting very bad reviews and that is enough reason not to buy it! I would rather have two seperate HD players that where made specifically for one HD format. That way if one player goes down and needs repairs I have the other HD format to enjoy while the other is in the shop. I do not necisarily have a problem with a hybrid HD-DVD/Blu-ray player but I do not want an LG! :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks